Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking to buy a Honda Element. I was hoping feedback from experienced users could help me make up my mind.

First a little bit about my requirements.

I am not going to be carrying very big loads There may be the occasional loads while moving, or buying a new couch, bed etc., but I don't think I will doing that more than a few times over the next year.

I don't have any pets. I like to go outdoors every now and then (which might involve 2-4 passengers in the vehicle). My old Civic (now stolen) was not very convenient for all this, and regular SUVs are just too big. So Element is a good choice.

Now the questions:

1. I noticed that in the 2007 model, the horsepower increased by 10 HP and a 5 speed automatic was added. Do you guys feel that it has made a substantial difference in the feel of the car and mpg? If it is not making such a big difference, I would like to go for an older model.

2. Summers get pretty hot here in GA. How does the AC hold up for people in the back seats?

3. I am seeing a lot of good deals on 2005 and older models. I am wondering if there is a reason for that. Any particular problems that are encountered in those models? Or it's just that they are old and prices are dropping?

4. Conventional wisdom in used-car buying says that it is always better to buy from a private seller. But I am noticing that the best prices are really being offered by the dealers. What do you guys suggest?

Currently I am veering towards buying some 2007 model with less than 30k miles, as that seems to provide the maximum value for money in terms of depreciation.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1. I have an 05, so I can't speak for the horsepower increase, but I will say that in the 05, I do just fine in acceleration and MPG (averaging somewhere around 24-25).

2. I'm in Arizona, so the AC thing is really important here, too. The heat/AC in my Element is the BEST performance I have seen. I had a Mazda, a Toyota and VW before and it is, by far, the best performer for cool air. My passengers are always happy and the air gets to the back seat just fine.

3. I'm not sure about the phenomenon with lower prices, but I know that I got mine for a steal (05, EX 2WD, AT, paid $10,800) for the simple reason of the economy and needing to move units. What people will tell you is that there is a seat belt change in the 07 models which a lot of people dislike and other than that, just some small changes. The biggest thing for me is the increase in insulation from 03-05, AUX input standard from 05 on, and Side Airbags on the 05 (was an option, a very expensive one before). So if I were you, I wouldn't go below an 05, but it could save you money to go with the 05.

4. I, personally, am glad to buy from a dealer that I can trust (HAHA, yeah right) simply for the fact that legal action can be taken on them if you have something in writing. The dealership I bought from has been great on keeping their promises, but just be careful where you buy. My own conventional wisdom says to buy a Honda from a Japanese dealership (I bought mine from a Toyota dealership), just because it's a question of quality overall.

Hope I helped. Feel free to ask me any more questions on the 05.

Hi

I am looking to buy a Honda Element. I was hoping feedback from experienced users could help me make up my mind.

First a little bit about my requirements.

I am not going to be carrying very big loads There may be the occasional loads while moving, or buying a new couch, bed etc., but I don't think I will doing that more than a few times over the next year.

I don't have any pets. I like to go outdoors every now and then (which might involve 2-4 passengers in the vehicle). My old Civic (now stolen) was not very convenient for all this, and regular SUVs are just too big. So Element is a good choice.

Now the questions:

1. I noticed that in the 2007 model, the horsepower increased by 10 HP and a 5 speed automatic was added. Do you guys feel that it has made a substantial difference in the feel of the car and mpg? If it is not making such a big difference, I would like to go for an older model.

2. Summers get pretty hot here in GA. How does the AC hold up for people in the back seats?

3. I am seeing a lot of good deals on 2005 and older models. I am wondering if there is a reason for that. Any particular problems that are encountered in those models? Or it's just that they are old and prices are dropping?

4. Conventional wisdom in used-car buying says that it is always better to buy from a private seller. But I am noticing that the best prices are really being offered by the dealers. What do you guys suggest?

Currently I am veering towards buying some 2007 model with less than 30k miles, as that seems to provide the maximum value for money in terms of depreciation.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the few days I've had my E I have seen so many great functions it provides for not only the supreme outdoorsy person, but the normal person who just likes the look of the car. I ride for a professional cycling team, so for me to throw my two bikes into the car with only having to take off the front wheel is huge. Saves me soooo much time. Also, last night we went grocery shopping and what is usually a trunk/back seat of food in my finacees back jetta was just a few items in the vastness of the E's cargo hold.

Seriously, buy this car, it'll change your life for the good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 05 MT that I bought used I had planned on buying a F150 from the Ford dealership but got sidetracked when I saw the E sitting at a Hyundai dealership..so I said what the hell I'll take it out for a test drive...I was sold after I drove it!

The vehicle runs great and is fun to drive and, very, very roomy! I paid 11000 for mine and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new here! Looks like a great site. I'm interested in a newer or new Element. I'm wondering, how long of poles could I fit in the Element? 9ft? 10ft?

how long and wide of boards, say plywood could I get in an element?

Just curious. Also wondering if I can fit longer items in the Element, than say, a Subaru Forrester, or Rav4

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
A/C for rear passengers: Never had any complaints from the rear during long, summer vacation road-trips. I've been in the back and asked them to turn down the A/C.

My E is a 2005 EX with almost $67,000 miles on it. I take really short trips or really long trips. No daily commuting. My E is serving me well overall.

Best advice I can give you NBP! No Kiwi. :lol:

-g

·
Registered
524 Posts
A/C for rear passengers: Never had any complaints from the rear during long, summer vacation road-trips. I've been in the back and asked them to turn down the A/C.

My E is a 2005 EX with almost $67,000 miles on it. I take really short trips or really long trips. No daily commuting. My E is serving me well overall.

Best advice I can give you NBP! No Kiwi. :lol:

-g
of Course 'g' is pursuing the longest ever E owning without a wash - record

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Sid: Me and the Wife have an 06. From what I've read the 07 power increase and extra gear in the AT makes a difference. The fuel mileage is just slightly improved but not significant in my opinion. Your driving style will determine how well you do MPG wise. The AC in our 06 is the strongest AC I've ever had in any car. When coming home from work on a hot muggy day. My drive is less then 15 minutes. On high without recirc on. When I step outside my glasses instantly fog up. You'll be happy with the AC. If your worried about heat (maybe not so big a problem in GA) don't. The heater can melt you if you let it. This car is a great all around do anything but tow or haul a ton truck. Reliable, easy to fix. Insurance is cheap also. It has a great crash rating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts