Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I fully admit that I am brand new to the Honda Element world. I have always admired them but finally made the jump and purchased a 2005 Honda Element EX this past weekend. I am super excited as there is so much i want to do but the first thing I need to do is find the correct roof rack.

I 99% sure I need a "basket style" rack that allows you to place items on top and then strap it all down with a net type device. This would allow me to carry all my camping equipment coolers, etc..

I have the OEM rack system already on the car however, being completely new to the Element, I am not sure if that rack needs to be upgraded to hold the rack I want.

I also think it would be easier to get to the roof by installing something like the Gobi ladder that is made for the Element. That said, I am interesting in knowing if that is an option and how much installation work that involves and if any functionality of the rear gate is at all effected??

Which brings me to the question of what to buy. I know I want a rack that will allow or come with off-road lighting. However, i don't know what my options are or what is the best choice? I've seen Gobi racks, Yakima Load warrior rack, Curt Roof rack, TPS Lizard rack, and on and on.

Any advice / help you could give me knowing what i am looking for, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The Gobi Ladders are nice. You may want to upgrade your hatch struts (anyway. I upgraded mine and I don't have the added few pounds of the Gobi ladder). I believe that the factory SC spoiler (if you have one) is not compatible with the Gobi, but that is it.

As for racks with lighting, it's a little tricky. Our racks are mid roof which means that lights mounted to them will likely bounce off the roof a bit and not hit anything within the first 15 feet of the car. I've seen a few folks install light bars at the windshield. It looks good and would make the light coverage better closer to the car.

I'm trying to work through making a rack that pairs with the factory bars and extends further forward and has integrated lighting. I've got it all on paper, but haven't found the time to purchase the grid wall stock and fab it up. It could end up being terrible (as are most ideas when they start off on paper.)

The Gobi Stealth is my favorite rack but I can't afford it. If I could, I would probably just pick one of those up, but I can't so I haven't. I even got in trouble for my incredibly thrifty wheel tire upgrade a few weeks back (not in real trouble, but it was a thing.) so a grand on a roof rack isn't going to happen =). The wife did love the eCamper she saw though, so hope prevails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a Gobi Stealth rack and ladder on my 05 last year and you will definitely want to upgrade the hatch struts to accommodate the additional weight of the ladder. The Gobi's are pre-wired for a light bar also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need help with finding a roof rack

If you're on a budget like me, then the Curt rack with extension may appeal to you. Sits on the OEM racks.
How did you mount those fog lights/driving lights in the lower intake? I'd like to do the same, but I can't see much under the the bumper cover to mount to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Gobi Ladders are nice. You may want to upgrade your hatch struts (anyway. I upgraded mine and I don't have the added few pounds of the Gobi ladder). I believe that the factory SC spoiler (if you have one) is not compatible with the Gobi, but that is it.

As for racks with lighting, it's a little tricky. Our racks are mid roof which means that lights mounted to them will likely bounce off the roof a bit and not hit anything within the first 15 feet of the car. I've seen a few folks install light bars at the windshield. It looks good and would make the light coverage better closer to the car.

I'm trying to work through making a rack that pairs with the factory bars and extends further forward and has integrated lighting. I've got it all on paper, but haven't found the time to purchase the grid wall stock and fab it up. It could end up being terrible (as are most ideas when they start off on paper.)

The Gobi Stealth is my favorite rack but I can't afford it. If I could, I would probably just pick one of those up, but I can't so I haven't. I even got in trouble for my incredibly thrifty wheel tire upgrade a few weeks back (not in real trouble, but it was a thing.) so a grand on a roof rack isn't going to happen =). The wife did love the eCamper she saw though, so hope prevails.
Thank you very much for the info, this is extremely helpful. It seems that the Gobi Stealth would be a good option however, i know it won't be inexpensive.

That said, I noticed under your vehicle description you have a hot rear 12V power outlet and also the side blinkers. Can you tell me how you did each of those and was it difficult?

Let me know when you have a moment.

Thank you

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you mount those fog lights/driving lights in the lower intake? I'd like to do the same, but I can't see much under the the bumper cover to mount to.
In addition to how you mounted the lower auxiliary lights, I would be curious if the Curt basket rack on your E has an lighting mounts?

Let me know.

JB

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a Gobi Stealth rack and ladder on my 05 last year and you will definitely want to upgrade the hatch struts to accommodate the additional weight of the ladder. The Gobi's are pre-wired for a light bar also.
great info, I think this is my best bet.

Can you tell me what I can expect to pay for the rack, ladder and upgraded struts?

Where would you recommend purchasing this equipment?

Let me know.

Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Also forgot to ask you what size wheels and tires you upgraded to?

i would like to upgrade my OEM package to something a little more aggressive however I still need to commute int he car everyday but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks Gary.

The lights are mounted to a tow bar that was installed by the previous owner, for towing behind their RV. Depending on how handy you are, you could probably make a much slicker mount and attach it to the reinforcement behind the bumper cover.

JB, there are no light mounts. But you can probably use the brackets available for roll bar light mounts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can purchase your rack directly from Gobi as they are made to order and there is criteria specific to your model that determine which rack is the best fit, for example if you have a sun roof the mounts are a little different. They are approx $1,300 and the upgraded struts were purchased at Advanced Auto for $29 per strut. PS the ladder and faring were thrown in at no charge.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Do you know if the curt rack with an extension will mount a different rack system like a thule or a yakima
The Curt basket is just the basket. I have the OEM crossbars just like you. If you have Thule or Yakima crossbars, the Curt basket should mount to those just the same.

Here's the link to the basket.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CURT-18115-Roof-Mounted-Cargo/dp/B004O844DS[/ame]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have the curt roof rack and love it. I bought 6 cree LED flood lights off of amazon and placed them on the side and rear of the rack. They work perfect when setting up camp at night or when you need light around the vehicle.

LED link
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SHANREN-waterproof-Off-road-Auxiliary-Driving/dp/B00T1YADSU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463063537&sr=8-4&keywords=cree+led+flood[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are great looking E's with the Curt Basket. I just ordered the OEM/OEM like rack. Hoping It works out well. Got some inexpensive Kayak racks but I'm wondering if maybe I should just put the kayak on top of this basket. Great looking lights too. Settting up camp must be great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're on a budget like me, then the Curt rack with extension may appeal to you. Sits on the OEM racks.
i've heard this rack rusts easily and drips rust water onto the vehicle. has this been your experience too? or you are still happy with it after a long time?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i've heard this rack rusts easily and drips rust water onto the vehicle. has this been your experience too? or you are still happy with it after a long time?
It is rusting. But for what I paid and how long it has lasted, I'll be buying another one. This next one though, I'm going to paint after it's assembled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts