Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't hate me for posting, but i cannot find detailed instructions of removing the front end to do the gutter guard mod. I have looked through the 2 FAQs and none of the links work any more. Any help out there? Thanks everyone!:confused:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like this idea because it is simple and fast, but i don't know about the exposed Zip ties. If you do it from behind the grill is there a way to hide the ties?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You can be creative and find a few ways to keep it on. The sure method to keep it on is to use the zip ties. You could try placing the ties right under the middle bar on the vertical points which will give you a stealthed install (you'd have to get down on your hands and knees to see the ties then). There isn't much to work with behind the front end.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I looked at the link, and that's great if the material you're using is flexible enough to tuck in through the holes, but won't work if you use a stiffer material, like the aluminum gutter guard from home depot.

Even so, there's no need to remove the entire front end. You can just temporarily remove the locking plastic pins that secure the lower center section of the bumper, allowing it to swing forward. That gives plenty of room to slide the grille guard in through the opening from the bottom. They're easy to spot from underneath. If you want to practice releasing and locking them without crawling underneath the front end of the vehicle, the plastic cover over the radiator under the hood uses the same type of locking pins.

Secure the zip ties as close as possible to the top, bottom, and center of the vertical grille slats, and the zip ties will become pretty much invisible once you snip the excess off. I have to get really close to mine (down on my hands and knees up close) to see the zip ties.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
This may help you as well.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
A while ago when I installed my HD grille, all I did was remove the radiator cover and slip the piece down to the install location. You have to snake it between the front end and the radiator but it wasn't hard to do. After it was down, used a screwdriver to line it up and started tie wrapping it. Took 10 minutes. It was an aluminum gutter guard btw.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the response! I will be doing this tonight, and i am thinking that i will get the black gutter guard. I will post pics so everyone can bask in the glory of my Emazing E!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks!

Finally I got this great idea how to put the guard on without too mich pain. Thank you guys! Since my husband will not let me do it, I hope he will do it himself soooon.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I installed my gutter gaurd the other day and not being a fan of the wrapping zip ties around the exposed part of the bumper look,I chose to drill tiny holes in the very back of those pieces and secured them with small black zip ties.:cool:

Heres some pics.

Do yourself a favor when you do this mod,take off the entire bumper,it's simple.:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did this yesterday, and chose to do the zip ties without removing the bumper. It looks terrible. I am going to re do it using Eww-an E's idea of the small holes being drilled. I think it will look a lot better. Ill post pics when im done! Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I did this yesterday, and chose to do the zip ties without removing the bumper. It looks terrible. I am going to re do it using Eww-an E's idea of the small holes being drilled. I think it will look a lot better. Ill post pics when im done! Thanks for the idea!
Your welcome:)

Good idea,I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with the look when your finished.:cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where exactly and how many holes did you drill?
A real closeup pic would be most helpful:D

looks great-excellent job!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Where exactly and how many holes did you drill?
A real closeup pic would be most helpful:D

looks great-excellent job!
I don't have a real close up pic at the moment,but they are located at the very back portions of those rib like peices,that everyone else seems to be just wrapping their zip ties around the front of.I think I drilled about 25 or more holes,I'm not really sure.:|

Your finished job looks great.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All done!

I bought some concrete corners and straightened them out. I painted them flat black ( to make sure they don't rust) and drilled the small holes for the zip ties. Here are the pics!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.