Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...I noticed recently that the paint on my Element's OEM rear spoiler started peeling, pretty badly (the paint is peeled off from about half of the spoiler). My Element is a 2004 EX in orange with silver spoiler. I realized that I really like the look of the E without the spoiler and would like to remove mine. Question is, what to do with the holes that the dealer drilled through the tailgate.

I'm assuming there's a certain way to do this so that they're water-tight and I won't have to worry about water getting in and rust forming. I suppose I could ask the dealer but I love the wisdom on this forum and I bet someone knows the "industry way" to do it.

Also, I would consider selling it, so please contact me if you're interested...provided I'm comfortable DIYing the hole plugging (I'm a bit nervous about exposing those holes!).

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any update OP? I have the same question for my 2009...
Hey all, sorry I'm a little tardy getting back on this...and I also am pretty bad at using forums so I hope I'm doing this right.
So, since my post I asked a friend who's restored cars from the ground up, who turned me to Dorman products company..I called them and while they make almost everything under the sun, they don't make a water-tight plug for this application. They told me to contact a company called Boost Controller, but same deal. Boost suggested going to retail auto parts stores/Walmart, which didn't really sound like it would result in anything so I thought, why not contact my dealer, just to see what they say.
The parts manager was helpful...he came outside to look at the what I was talking about and actually suggested epoxy..gave me a cool little sealed packet with a wooden stick to mix the epoxy, told me it was fairly easy to apply smoothly using the stick, then touch-up paint. I'm still considering this a plan B, since I'd prefer a finished look with some sort of discrete flush black plug, not a big deal for me since the holes are small (not sure exact size yet, until I remove the spoiler) and high up on the body of the car (2 holes are just above the rear window and 2 are even with the roofline so they won't be seen).
Anyhow...Honda sent me across the street to the body shop they use, to see what he'd suggest..the guy was really busy and took a minute to find an example of what he'd use...they're small simple flat plastic and rubber plugs...he said they're self-sealing and don't need anything else like epoxy to make them water tight. I forgot to take a photo, but found something similar on Summit Racing's website, called them, and they suggested I call 2 companies they carry to get the right one: Danchuk and Scott Drake. I'll be doing that in the next several days. But first I have to remove the spoiler to measure the hole size..I'm guessing it'll be around 1/4 to 5/16...

So complicated for such a simple thing, right? All I have for now. Will report back after I find the right part.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Hey all, sorry I'm a little tardy getting back on this...and I also am pretty bad at using forums so I hope I'm doing this right.
So, since my post I asked a friend who's restored cars from the ground up, who turned me to Dorman products company..I called them and while they make almost everything under the sun, they don't make a water-tight plug for this application. They told me to contact a company called Boost Controller, but same deal. Boost suggested going to retail auto parts stores/Walmart, which didn't really sound like it would result in anything so I thought, why not contact my dealer, just to see what they say.
The parts manager was helpful...he came outside to look at the what I was talking about and actually suggested epoxy..gave me a cool little sealed packet with a wooden stick to mix the epoxy, told me it was fairly easy to apply smoothly using the stick, then touch-up paint. I'm still considering this a plan B, since I'd prefer a finished look with some sort of discrete flush black plug, not a big deal for me since the holes are small (not sure exact size yet, until I remove the spoiler) and high up on the body of the car (2 holes are just above the rear window and 2 are even with the roofline so they won't be seen).
Anyhow...Honda sent me across the street to the body shop they use, to see what he'd suggest..the guy was really busy and took a minute to find an example of what he'd use...they're small simple flat plastic and rubber plugs...he said they're self-sealing and don't need anything else like epoxy to make them water tight. I forgot to take a photo, but found something similar on Summit Racing's website, called them, and they suggested I call 2 companies they carry to get the right one: Danchuk and Scott Drake. I'll be doing that in the next several days. But first I have to remove the spoiler to measure the hole size..I'm guessing it'll be around 1/4 to 5/16...

So complicated for such a simple thing, right? All I have for now. Will report back after I find the right part.
If you measure your holes I can make you something on the 3D printer.

(the catch) I'd also like to purchase your spoiler if you decide to sell it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you measure your holes I can make you something on the 3D printer.

(the catch) I'd also like to purchase your spoiler if you decide to sell it.

Cheers.
Hey man, thank you for the offer...I'm a bit hesitant to use something from a 3d printer in this case, however...I really want to use something purpose-built so I have the best chance to avoid leaks/rust etc...sorry about that. BUT...I will let you know -if you're still interested- when I get the spoiler removed. I'm afraid I'm so far behind on stuff and now with the cold it may not be til Springtime but will let you know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts