Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly Unhappy

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd hoped that my 03' EBP EX would last another three years. Catastrophic hail damage has ruled that out- and the insurance is totaling the vehicle. I considered keeping "dent-a-licious" since I'm only at 110K mi, but it seems prudent to buy newer, and dodge the major repairs of post 100K cars. And I'm seriously considering another E. A first repeat buy for me.

I couldn't keep up with all of the changes over the past seven years. Losing 5 speed as an option is painful but not a deal-breaker. I'm concerned about the belts-in-seats since I'm a big guy @ 6'2" 300lbs. It's harder for me to justify a buying 20/25 MPG car nowadays. And it bothers me that there are still windshield issues. (my 03' went through three windshields in four years- and I got a part of that class-action settlement too)

Yeah, it's still a toaster with a four-banger engine. But I'd like to hear from 2010 owners that have also owned the first-model year Element before I start test-driving.

• What were the major differences? I'm talking long-term observables. Things that can't be easily observed in a test drive.
    What were your favorite changes from 03' model?
    What were your least favorite changes from the 03' model?
    Is the magic still there? Or is it a shadow of its former self?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2 cent opinion

I'm a first time buyer and can't be anymore pleased with what I have regardless of the mileage. Been looking at these for several years...when the new year models came out I went down for a test drive...but I kept saying "...one day, maybe..." So, I made the jump and I'm tooling around in MY Element. My wife and I decided to take our "out-of-college-for-the-summer-but-no-job-yet" daughter for a weekend run to Orlando and then over to Daytona Beach from Tampa. The handling was great...the girls insisted on A/C the whole trip. I can't begin to tell you how many Elements I counted parked and cruising @ Daytona Beach this weekend! I did a simple test of my gas tank capacity to see how far I would get on a full tank and how far I could go on the reserve (Used cruise control on the highway...then drove until the reserve tank light came on...then went over to odometer trip B and zeroed out...then drove 60 conservative miles until fill up). The manual says 15.9 miles on the tank and my fill up was 14.34gals...so I had another 1.5gals left...averaged 21.8 miles overall @ speeds of 65 and 70mph and it's been great ever since considering it's only 1.5 months old! When it comes down to making that decision on whether or not to buy, you can do all the research in the world and ask people their opinion but it has to be what YOU want balanced with your lifestyle. In these times our vehicles have become an expression and extension of who we are...I always thought of Honda folks as "...the lone Apple computer floating in the Microsoft ocean..." We're in a world all our own! Rock on...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the threadpoints ramblerdan. I was aware of the "hate 2010" thread, but I wanted a less argumentative discussion thread. And the specification list isn't useful to me. I'm looking for "lived-in" experiences and feedback from 2010 owners contrasting the 2003 model. For example:

One thing I noticed right away after my 2010 test drive is that the instrument cluster is more visible for tall people like me. That's a huge improvement from the '03 model, where I had to duck around the steering wheel to read the speedometer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too am a '03 owner. My DX has been through the wringer though and is in need of replacement at some point. The thumps and creaks are just starting to add up to too much of a worry and theres some rust happening too. The car lived by the ocean for 4 year before I got it from my in-laws.

Since mine is a dx 2wd, I don't have a overhead or sunroof to lose. I do like the simplicity of the E and everything fits inside which is the biggest bonus of the car.

Anyone look at the mounts for the visor. Is it that hard to swap them for the old style?

Any other nits to pick at?

Cheers, Kevin.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did not have a 2003 E, but I did own a 2005 E previously. Now I have a 2010. Bought a '08 Jeep Liberty in-between, and after 2 years of the Jeep traded it in on the 2010 E. I really liked my 2005 E and had no issues with it at all. Just thought I had to have a Jeep! Anyway....the 2010 E is super nice. I like the new front end design over the 2005, I really like the painted panels much better. The instrument cluster with the blue backlighting at night looks really cool over the pointed cluster of the older ones. I think I would really check out the seatbelt comfort, and the seat comfort. My thoughts are the earlier ones had more comfortable seats and a much better seatbelt placement being in the door. To me, those 2 things are a small downside to the new ones. I have kind of taken care of the seatbelt thing with seatbelt clips I found at Walmart. And then again, some people are not ever bothered by the seatbelts. The seats I find a little hard, but I have been used to hard seats before in other cars I've had. I really can't compare the Jeep Liberty heated leather seats (comfortable) to the E's seats....like comparing apples and oranges ;-) There's no other car out there like the Element.....to me it's a perfect car, and I am extremely happy with my purchase. Maybe you could test drive for a day or two. I know my dealer lets people have a car for a couple of days, or rent one for a few days. You really won't know if it's for you unless you can be in it for a couple days. Good luck....and let us know what you think :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i own a 2010 sc and cant be more pleased. years back i used an employers 2004 ex 4wd for light off road and surveying job sites. the plastic panels were a godsend hehe. in my opinion the only thing i miss is the auto slide forward seats(guess it was removed for safety with belt in seat) but other then that i feel it has been an overall improvement. 5spd auto is just as if not more efficient then the manual. the seat material seems more durable. might not be comfy like an old buick but its no worse then any other cars ive tried forester/rogue etc etc and ive had more belt fitment issues in the odysee and ridgeline loanercars that have belt on wall then the elements on seat and im 6'3

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the threadpoints ramblerdan. I was aware of the "hate 2010" thread, but I wanted a less argumentative discussion thread. And the specification list isn't useful to me. I'm looking for "lived-in" experiences and feedback from 2010 owners contrasting the 2003 model. For example:

One thing I noticed right away after my 2010 test drive is that the instrument cluster is more visible for tall people like me. That's a huge improvement from the '03 model, where I had to duck around the steering wheel to read the speedometer.
I currently own a 2003 EX FWD, AND a 2009 SC.

The newer transmission is wonderful, really keeps the revs down.
Yes, the bright new gauges are much easier to see, plus little touches like the outside temp.
Some complain about the in-seat seat belt. I like it.
Love the steering wheel radio controls.
more overhead storage
The SC has the wonderful center console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts