Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is ChrisM from the Ridgeline Owners Club. Some of you may have met me at the 2008 Combo meet in Columbus Ohio. I am one of the moderators from over at the Ridgeline Owners Club.

My wife (who was also in attendance) and I are heavily favoring buying an Element for a 2nd vehicle. We are keeping the Ridgeline and trading in her Pontiac Sunfire.

Anyways. The vehicle in question is an 06' EX 4wd. It has 81,000 miles and has a clean Carfax. The asking price is $13,400 which I think has a little haggle room.

My big concern about the vehicle is that it has a little road noise when driven about 40 mph but doesn't seem to get any louder when you get up to 70 mph. It doesn't have stock tires so I'm thinking it is the tires.

The interior is very clean but the seats are a little worn but I can deal with that. Is this a deal or do I need to look elsewhere?

Anyways, is a link to the add and a couple of pics.

We are looking for a quick purchase if this is a decent buy. I would like to also know if there is anything that I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e&systime=&scarid=279504832&rdm=1277034894682

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks OK to me. You'd be better off not rushing to a buy, even if it is a from a Honda Dealer... At least get an independent inspection. Does the CarFax have any meaningful maintenance info. in it? (Mine didn't.)
Tires may be causing the noise but an important periodic service interval for the RT4WD system is at 90k and this could possibly be a source of noise.
Get the dealer to do the service. Mine did at 84k when I bought my E.
Best fortune to you!
Cheers,
John
A quick Edmunds eval. yields this for my zip code:

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Road noise on the E is unfortunately normal. Very little sound proofing on the floor, none in the doors and no carpet. It just gives you an excuse to turn the tunes up a little more:roll:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree. Could be the tires or just normal. My new one was a little nosier than my old truck. Bigger cab I think. People say a good used Element is hard to find.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Get it...!

Chris,

Sounds like you've done your research and did the test drive... Those Yokohamas could be the source of the noise if they're the Geolanders... Beefy tread and good for all-around on/off road... Get some carpet in there (C/O: Jerry at South Coast Accessories) or Murdock for mats... That'll DRASTICALLY cut down the road noise...!

The vehicle has been well maintained according to the pics and it seems like its a good buy... I would get the Sunfire's value locked in before trade-in down then work on knocking another $1,500 off for the cost of the E...

Just some quick thoughts...!

LBD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well..................

I BOUGHT IT.

I talked the dealership down well below $13K so I feel like I got a very good deal. It ends up that the vehicle was previously owned by the dealership and was originally their parts getter mobile. After that, it belonged to one of the dealership mechanics. I am the 3rd owner. I have a copy of every oil change and service visit that the vehicle had since it was new. This particular vehicle was about $4k less than any other comparable E except one other I found within 100 miles of my house.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I would like to thank the guys over at Honda East in Cincinnati for putting up with me. I drive a pretty hard bargain. They didn't want to come down on the vehicle but I was persistent and had that magic "cash in hand."

The road noise is because of the tires. They are Geolanders. I put the E in neutral at various speeds and the noise never seemed to change from the sound I was hearing when the engine was engaged. The sound is reminiscent of the sound my Hankook Dynapros make on the Ridgeline.

PS. When is the next meet? We are ready to go!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chris and spouse,
Congrats and welcome to the cult!
Man, that does sound like a great deal. The ownership and service history are really nice. Parts-getters don't always get "handled with kid gloves" by the employees, but you have few guarantees with most other used cars either, "granny-owned" or not. At least, you have a plausible history from a fairly reliable source and that IS valuable...
The Geolandar HT-S tires on our E are a little noisy at certain speeds but seem to handle pretty well and have decent traction, but I haven't driven the car on anything else so I have nothing to compare with.
I think the Alabaster Silver Metallic with Blue Metallic composite panels is super-cool because it looks good and it harkens to some of the original Element or Model X prototypes that were first shown to the public. I think the color combo appeared in some of the first publicity images for the production Element but was not actually available to the public for a couple or three years!
Anyways, welcome! and I'm sure you love being part of this quirky but cool E-nation!
Cheers,
John

·
Registered
480 Posts
Woot, gratz!! Now you have another forum to surf daily:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the nice comments.

I really liked the color combo myself. It is very rare in these parts. The rims are very rare around here too.

Here are a couple of pics of the happy couple. :)

Ever wonder the difference in length between a Ridgeline and an Element? Wonder no more.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Welcome to the dark side, ChrisM from The ROC. We have cookies.
- - :lol: - - - - - :lol: - - - - - :lol: - - - - - :lol: - - - - - :lol: - - - - - :lol: - -

Oh, add to that... "FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE"... Sheesh, you come over from the ROC and ya think ya own the place...!!! Mods... Sheesh!!! :ban: LMELBO!!!

Congrats man...! Err, I should say Mrs. ChrisM should get the congrats...

LBD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I filled out my profile. I was actually thinking about this today at work but didn't have a chance to do it.

Also, thank you for all of the nice comments. My wife really likes the new car. I hate to say it but I think I like it as much as my Ridgeline. I would have originally bought an Element but I really needed a truck at the time I got the Ridgeline.

I am totally amazed of the amount of accessories that you can get for an E. I am already eyeballing the tent, the sunroof screen, and the tailgating backrest. The Ridgeline has really lame OEM accessories compared to what Honda has to offer for the E.

I think I can talk my wife into a meet with little resistance. I'm already contemplating mods for the E. I think a set of Angel Eye driving lights will be the 1st modification. :):)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hahaha...! Bravo...!

I filled out my profile. I was actually thinking about this today at work but didn't have a chance to do it.

Also, thank you for all of the nice comments. My wife really likes the new car. I hate to say it but I think I like it as much as my Ridgeline. I would have originally bought an Element but I really needed a truck at the time I got the Ridgeline.

I am totally amazed of the amount of accessories that you can get for an E. I am already eyeballing the tent, the sunroof screen, and the tailgating backrest. The Ridgeline has really lame OEM accessories compared to what Honda has to offer for the E.

I think I can talk my wife into a meet with little resistance. I'm already contemplating mods for the E. I think a set of Angel Eye driving lights will be the 1st modification. :):)
Next thing you'll be doing is wearing a suit and tie... LMELBO...! Nice work and thanks for being my "250th Bud" on these boards... I know, it's hard NOT to smile when you see her so like everything else, take plenty of pics and let us see how you customize yours to your liking...!

LBD

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Welcome welcome! Nice looking car!

And yes, the Yokohama Geolanders are LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD tires. They grip great, but they scream like an infant being beaten about the face when they're on smooth pavement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts