Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to purchase shocks and springs on the cheap ? Seems the local parts guy can only get Monroe Sensatrac @ 75 no springs or Monroe Reflex no springs @ 95 bucks . Dealer wants 195 per tower . Anyone know where to purchase and which set up is best (brand) ?

Thanks
Ruby

·
Registered
174 Posts
you are looking for struts not shocks, you remove the springs with a compressor and reinstall them, struts can very in price and installation costs greatly.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you really need shocks/struts?

Here's a question. Has someone told you that you need shocks? Coming from my background as a shop owner, a lot of people who have been told that they need shocks really don't (i.e. "There is oil on the shock rod", etc.) . If your E hops like a bunny after you cross the Railroad tracks, you probably need 'em. If your dog urps on your shoulder because the horizon is lurching up and down, it's probably a good idea.

Try the old fashioned method for testing; it's not perfect, but it's not bad: put your knee on the bumper and bounce the toaster up and down a couple of times (if you are mass-challenged, have a larger friend do it). If your E settles right down and stops bouncing right away, the shocks are probably OK.

Resist the temptation to put on "Heavy Duty" replacements, unless you typically carry lots of weight, have an Ursa Minor, or tow a trailer. They make the car ride rougher than it needs to, and they are needlessly expensive. KYB or Bilstein ar emy personal favorites. As has been mentioned before here, it's a good idea to have an alignment after replacing the struts in front, not so much with the shocks in the back.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a question. Has someone told you that you need shocks? Coming from my background as a shop owner, a lot of people who have been told that they need shocks really don't (i.e. "There is oil on the shock rod", etc.) . If your E hops like a bunny after you cross the Railroad tracks, you probably need 'em. If your dog urps on your shoulder because the horizon is lurching up and down, it's probably a good idea.

Try the old fashioned method for testing; it's not perfect, but it's not bad: put your knee on the bumper and bounce the toaster up and down a couple of times (if you are mass-challenged, have a larger friend do it). If your E settles right down and stops bouncing right away, the shocks are probably OK.

Resist the temptation to put on "Heavy Duty" replacements, unless you typically carry lots of weight, have an Ursa Minor, or tow a trailer. They make the car ride rougher than it needs to, and they are needlessly expensive. KYB or Bilstein ar emy personal favorites. As has been mentioned before here, it's a good idea to have an alignment after replacing the struts in front, not so much with the shocks in the back.
Thanks for the reply , yeah she needs shocks and springs , i've done the push up test , she has 110 k and she dribbles like kobe , no recovery after potholes and uneven pavement . What I really need is just place to purchase these items , plus I didn't realize that there was a tire and wheel forum , so go ahead and move this . I've done the e-bay search and tein search . I've heard that KYB ain't so good for the E , heck , I even called Monroe and they informed me that the Reflex is disco ! Pep boys still has them @ 95 for shocks only . Just was inquiring if anyone knew of a cheap place to purchase these items ............
thanks
RUBY

·
Registered
143 Posts
bouncing doesn't mean you need springs. I'm telling you, you just need shocks. New springs are a waste of money unless you have some reason to want to replace them (lowering, stiffer springs, etc). Unless your car is sitting lower than it used to, there is no reason to replace the springs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
agreed springs don't normally go bad, I would assume unless you have cracked springs just do the struts. Bouncing means your springs are working correctly the struts take up the bounce and act as a damper.
chris

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
To add to this thread.

Is there any definitive thought on the shocks/struts for the E? Is one brand better than another? OEM, Monroe, etc...

I am coming up on the time to replace mine and want to have quality parts. If there was a heavier duty replacement available I would go that route but I don't think any heavy duty options are around for the E.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'm in the same boat....
definite groaning from the front end when pulling away at a light, so I know the upper tower bearings are going, and the bounces are getting much more pronounced....
And I know that I need heavy duty for the rears, since I routinely pull a trailer....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think we need to keep this alive and find out what we can on the suspension for stock hight but with more gusto for the rear. I pull a trailer a lot and load the E for road trips with bikes on the trailer hitch mount. It all adds up. I think I remember someone mentioning possibly making an airbag system for the E to lift the rear when loaded. I don't know how much trouble that would be though. I would really just prefer the K.I.S.S. approach.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase shocks and springs on the cheap ? Seems the local parts guy can only get Monroe Sensatrac @ 75 no springs or Monroe Reflex no springs @ 95 bucks . Dealer wants 195 per tower . Anyone know where to purchase and which set up is best (brand) ?

Thanks
Ruby
i don't see the model number for the reflex at the monroe website?

I'm thinking of getting the sensatrac for the front and rear on amazon but not sure if i really need the STRUT-MATE BEARING PLATE?

I just hit the 55k mark and think i should do some major work

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need something for my E's rear quarters too. I don't know what part is called what, struts/shocks/springs/coils (jujubees for all I know)...

I do know that passengers in the back seats are starting to complain about the bumpy ride. I'm at ~66,500 miles. I had the front parts changed (under warranty 15,000+ miles ago; warranty now expired). Soon these parts are all due anyway according to manual(s), and threads here?

So how exactly do I check and/or single out which part(s) is/are the culprit(s). Damn, I feel like a hypochondriac! I'm trying to learn these things quickly, and apply the knowledge correctly so please bear with me.

So far, so good. (For a total noob.)
Headlights change - check.
Wipers - check.
Interior lights - check.

The following all with help from this site Thanks all!
Oil change - check.
Rear diff change - check.
Coolant - Next primary.
Manual Trans change - Next secondary.

Imma hafta add these as my sig I think... their my 'mods' thus far, ha ha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts