Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a new Element SC owner. I'm coming for years of driving BMWs and I've gotten used to the xenon headlights. I love my new E, but I'm no kid and I really miss the better night vision from the superior lighting on my M3s. It appears there are two options to upgrade the headlights on the E.

1. Simple HID bulbs with a ballast, or
2. Projector conversion.

I do NOT want to do an HID bulb that blinds oncoming traffic. I hate that and don't want to create an unsafe driving condition for others, while trying to improve my own night vision. So, here are my questions:

• Does anyone have a link with full pics to the actual installation of the HID conversion kits you see on eBay for $150-$220?
  • Does it require baking and pulling apart the headlight housings to install the projectors?
  • Has anyone that has done this mod experienced any electrical problems?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

·
1,049 Posts
First, Welcome to the EoC. Gratz on your new E.

Second, the projectors in the SC are perfect for HiD bulbs.

I have HiD bulbs in the SC conversion on my E. You don't need to add any relays or extra wiring as the E has a 20 amp circuit to each of the headlights.

THIS site looks to have GREAT prices and I have heard only good things about the quality. The next HiDs I buy will be from them. I am eyeing the 55 watt HiDs.

You can see pictures of my E by searching for Kicker E on this site or just click my sig. for my CarDomain page.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info

First, Welcome to the EoC. Gratz on your new E.

Second, the projectors in the SC are perfect for HiD bulbs.

I have HiD bulbs in the SC conversion on my E. You don't need to add any relays or extra wiring as the E has a 20 amp circuit to each of the headlights.

THIS site looks to have GREAT prices and I have heard only good things about the quality. The next HiDs I buy will be from them. I am eyeing the 55 watt HiDs.

You can see pictures of my E by searching for Kicker E on this site or just click my sig. for my CarDomain page.

I hope that helps.
Thanks so much for the info. So, you can just change bulbs in the SC, without the housing, and you won't be flooding oncoming traffic with super bright light? I was under the impression that you needed to by the projector kit to get the beam of light concentrated where you want it to go.

The BMW bixenon headlights are quite sophisticated. They all are self-levelling and newer models, like the new M3 and X5s from about 2005-on have adaptive headlights that point up to 15% left or right as you turn the steering wheel.

Thanks again for your help. I'll check out the lights at DDM Tuning.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No projectors on my '10 SC :-(

^^I'm pretty sure the 09'/10 SC E's have reflector lenses and not projectors like the previous SC Elements.:?
They are definitely not projectors on my '10 SC. If they have to be baked to install the aftermaker projectors, I'm thinking I'd just buy an extra set of housings and keep the stock one's in storage.

I talked to the service manager at the local Honda dealership and he suggested just getting the fog lights installed. Opinions? Does anyone think the fogs add enough additional light to make up for the lack of HIDs?

Bob

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
They are definitely not projectors on my '10 SC. If they have to be baked to install the aftermaker projectors, I'm thinking I'd just buy an extra set of housings and keep the stock one's in storage.

I talked to the service manager at the local Honda dealership and he suggested just getting the fog lights installed. Opinions? Does anyone think the fogs add enough additional light to make up for the lack of HIDs?

Bob
Sounds like a good idea.:) The fogs will add an additional amount of foreground and side lighting,but certainly not enough to make up for the lack of HIDs.Personally I would go for the HIDs and fog lights.:grin:

·
1,049 Posts

The posters above are correct...

The newer SC does have a reflector housing and would need a projector installed to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

I don't think the body lines are close enough to put a earlier model SC front end/headlights on the newer SC.

HiDs are worth the effort, IMHO.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You will most definately blind other drivers with just a HID conversion kit wthout Projetos in the 09-10 SC. Fog lights will not improve you lighting of the roas and actually can blind oncoming drivers as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Changing for Stock to HID isnt hard... if you want projectors which you should have both to get that xexon feel on the E. Its not hard, "Gboybst578" has an awesome thread on how to install projectors and HIDs on the E. Its really easy but a little time demanding.

Overall cost is like 120 bucks.

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have been running d2s philips hid bulbs in an aluminum adaptor to provide a sort of cutoff line. Where did you get those projectors, did you have to heat and disassemble the headlamp housing to install them?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have been running d2s philips hid bulbs in an aluminum adaptor to provide a sort of cutoff line. Where did you get those projectors, did you have to heat and disassemble the headlamp housing to install them?
yeah got them off ebay. just follow the clearing the headlights thread for the disassembly. I am sure you can do it because you are master at DIY. pm me if you have any questions. i would be more then willing to help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yeah got them off ebay. just follow the clearing the headlights thread for the disassembly. I am sure you can do it because you are master at DIY. pm me if you have any questions. i would be more then willing to help.
Does this mod still have the Hi and Low beam feature for the H4 headlight once it is installed?

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
what do you guys do as far as when you make the hole bigger for the projector to fit? does anyone have a picture of the rear of the finish product?

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you use the kit posted above there in no cutting involved. You just bolt in the new projector.

John

what do you guys do as far as when you make the hole bigger for the projector to fit? does anyone have a picture of the rear of the finish product?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You have to heat up your headlamp housing and remove the lense and the front reflector with the screw that holds it and install and tighten the new projector housing and then re glue the lense back on with the supplied glue with the kit and then install the bulb and wiring back into the housing and reinstall the housings and put the bumper cover back on. Don't forget to adjust to do an adjustment on the headlamps afterwards.

·
Registered
130 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts