Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm currently in the market for a used Element SC.

I've looked around a couple of used dealer lots and talked with a few. Did alot of research on the price on KBB, NADA, and a couple other sites.

And I've mistakenly rushed in to negotiation with a dealer before even reading some of the sticky and threads about buying on this forum....

I am currently negotiating a price with one Ford dealer that has a 08 SC RBM with spoiler fog and window visor, which has 36666 miles for $18000 plus fees and tax.
I'm going to go by this dealer tomorrow to see the condition and talk to the guy. The original price was $20000 but after a couple calls he lowered it to $18000.
Is this a good deal? or should I just pass this on...
Thanks!

Located in Charlotte NC, The price is below what KBB and Edmunds lists at, but from looking around the forum right now I see alot better deal with a lot less milage..

·
Registered
816 Posts
hello eight..ask them if they have any service records on the car,,,you also want to see a car fax,,and since its a ford dealer its not going to be honda certified..but go drive the car and play with it..best of luck

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sounds a little high to me. Used ones can be hard to find but there also hard to sell. I would tell them it's a little high, leave your phone number, and keep looking. After a few days they should lower the price more. Of course you take the chance of someone else buying it. For that price you should also look at new ones. Don't be in a hurry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice yall, I'm glad I asked around here since I was rushing blindly.

I haven't gone by the dealer yet and I am keeping them hanging at this point, as he's calling and mailing me everyday to come by. It seems like they're really comfortable with the bid I made of $18000 than before, so I guess its can be alot less.

I will haggle the alittle more before I go see them next week.

·
Registered
226 Posts
At best I would look at www.kbb.com. They listed one in excellent condition for $22,000 (retail link below). You can get a carfax on the site too. There showing the trade in value at about $17300. The EX is at about $18000 on the trade in. When I was looking the dealers in Chicago told me that they sent the 2WD Element trade ins off to auction because they don't sell well here. Everyone wants 4WD out here. If they could do that out the door you maybe in good shape. I looked at an 07 SC back in 08 and they wanted $19500. I moved on the new 08 for $23000 out the door. It should still have a warranty. See if you can have a honda dealer check it out. It may cost a few bucks but it could give you peace of mind. You may be able to extend the warranty. Keep in touch!

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pri...0148|0|0|&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you are looking at used models in the high teens in price, why not buy new?

I buy a car about every year for someone in my family, and my opinion is you buy new when considering vehicles that don't depreciate too much....for a car (like Honda's), and you buy used vehicles that deprecite quickly (like Dodge's or something).

If you are contemplating payments, you might finance a new vehicle for one year more than you might a used vehicle, get a lower finance rate on a new vehicle, get a new car warranty, and have 100% of the life of the vehicle to use up VS the remaining miles to use in a pre owned vehicle. Your payments on a new vehicle may be less. If a used one is 3/4 the cost of a new one, and you're only buying maybe 2/3 of the life remaining, seems to me considering the warranty, finance rate, etc, the new one is a better deal. That's how I always look at it.

You should be able to buy new for around dealership invoice. Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advices. I'm still looking around...

I've realized that the 3 year old 40k mile SC wasn't worth 18k that the dealer was asking considering the '10 model only being a couple thousand more with fresh warranty. but its a little over my budget and the first generation SC looks is what I like...

Although after many visits to some used dealer lots I'm beginning to like some other models that I've never considered, like the CR-V, RAV4, and the Mazda 5 :? I hate it when I cant decide. :?

They all have the same large cargo volume of around 74cu/ft, which is my priority

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Although after many visits to some used dealer lots I'm beginning to like some other models that I've never considered, like the CR-V, RAV4, and the Mazda 5 :? I hate it when I cant decide. :?

They all have the same large cargo volume of around 74cu/ft, which is my priority
Something doesn't seem right with that...
Not sure, but I've been in all 4 vehicles and there can be NO WAY
that the other three have the same "cargo volume"...!

You can't remove the seats in the other three as well as configure them...! Only fold 'em down and that doesn't really do much since you sacrifice the height as well...
Hmmm...

Doesn't "smell" right... I've loaded more for camping in my 'Ol LunchBox than I did in my old Jeep Cherokee so I KNOW that the others CANNOT be near/more the E's... Just sayin'...

Maybe someone else can chime in on this for me...!

Yup, that's a full-size mountain bike as well as fishing poles...! LOL!

LBD

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, sorry i meant to say the same cargo volume on paper... I didnt think the mazda 5 or the CRV had a larger cargo after seeing it so i was searching around on the forum for the real measurment... I guess I can narrow in on the Element Now that i now for sure:)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Great, sorry i meant to say the same cargo volume on paper... I didnt think the mazda 5 or the CRV had a larger cargo after seeing it so i was searching around on the forum for the real measurment... I guess I can narrow in on the Element Now that i now for sure:)
Hey 8...!

LOL!
Yup...! In my Jeep, I used to haul enough gear for ONLY me for a week plus some stuff for a small boat... Now that my Honey-Bunny loves to camp (I do all the chores!
), I carry enough for BOTH OF US for a week's stay on top of the rest of the gear...! Had to include my bike this time around instead of the usual Thule hanging rack on the outside... So, everything else being equal, the Element can NOT be beat...!

Good luck and happy searching...!

:eoc:
.L-B-D.
-
-

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn its hard to find a decently priced ElementSC here in NC, all priced around 20k with more than 35k of miles:( It must be gaining popularity of some sort because I'm seeing more and more Es drivng about, maybe one every 5 min, but I've yet to see the newer ones...

Anyways, I just had a thought, would it be better to buy a used, around 20k miles, certified 08 E, than a brand new E for a tad bit more?
I think the Certified warranty gives you 7y/100k power train warranty where as the brand new one will have 5y/60k, or even better a slightly used certified 2010.

I was thinking of going for the 2009/10 SCs, but there aren't any in the dealers around here within a 100mile radius, only LXs..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, unexpected turn out. Went to the dealer just to ask about the internet specials. And I ended up signing. Damn those dealer magic that they use!!! anyways the damage has been done, its a 07 GGM certified SC with 50k miles for the price, out the door of 18600. I traded in my 07 30k mile RX8 for 12000 so im left with 6600 to finance.

It isnt the best deal, and im not proud of it but at least I got the color I like and its getting shipped from TX to NC, where I was about to get a black one near NC for more miles for the same price. And its certified!

Im gonna drive every cent out of it!!!
Lets see how it looks when it gets here:)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The "best deal" is what you can live with to get the vehicle you want during time frame you want to buy. Somebody ALWAYS bought it for less- trust me.

Enjoy the Element and let the mods begin!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I am excited about modding the E, I'll take some pictures with my dog in it:)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
*uh-hem*... (clearing throat)

Thanks, I am excited about modding the E, I'll take some pictures with my dog in it:)
Allow me...!

-L B D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, yes I know, but the dealer keeps on telling me, "well we had some mix up wit the trailers and the guys are out to go git it, so the car will come in next week..." whoa? BS! Never heard of such poor excuse but I guess it doesn't matter to them since they've got my signature on papaer... so a couple more days till I get to see it, I hope.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats!

Don't worry about your "buy-in" price into Element Ownership...The price you initially pay will be forgotten soon after the modding begins.

-simpson

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Congrats!

Don't worry about your "buy-in" price into Element Ownership...The price you initially pay will be forgotten soon after the modding begins.

-simpson
SO TRUE...! It's not the price of admission, it's the uniqueness of ownership that is priceless...!

HOO-WAAAAA...!

-L B D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts