Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to stay with 16s (was thinking of getting 18s) and settled for Pirelli Scorpion STR tires and ASA EMG rims (16x7) from The Tire Rack. Now, I would like to get the widest tire available without loosing traction and comfort. Also, what are "bolt patterns" and do I have to consider that when buying rims? I don't want to buy something that is not gonna suit my purposes and have to change it later on. Did a lot of searching, but still have questions.
Thanks for any advise and opinions.....Please keep in mind that I need an "all season" tire and rims I can run all year round.....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Do you mean the ASA EM9? That's the closest ASA to an EMG that I could find listed as compatible for the E. Nice rim. The Bolt pattern is the number of bolt (5) by the diameter of the circle made by the bolts (114) in mm. The widest tire you could put on that rim is 235/65-16.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
FWIW...

The 235/65 size seems like a nice choice. Noticeably wider than stock, but just about the same height. It isn't likey to throw off your spedo/odo or negatively affect fuel mileage or even acceleration or braking performace because of the weight/ rotational mass.

I found a tire I liked (Cooper ATR) but it isn't available in that size....i almost switched to a different tire just so I could have a 235/65.

Assuming you get a wheel w/ the proper backspacing, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing or tires extending beyond the fenderwell.

See the sticky at the top of this wheel & tires page for the info on the stock backspacing/offset, etc.

good luck,

Will

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Compared to what you're considering, The Rube, my tires are positively "ginormous" (30 x 9.5 x 15), and the only rubbing I've encountered is in low-speed full-lock parking lot maneuvers. I just had my Pirelli Scorpion ATC's rotated at the standard 5,000 mile interval today, and can say I am literally thrilled with them. Credit is also due to the retailer I chose -- Discount Tire here in St. Paul. They've been stellar.

Keep in mind that wide tires aren't the best choice for snow conditions, and that any profile lower than a 65 series could seriously compromise expectations of safe and comfortable winter driving. My current new tires are generally wider than I typicaly prefer for winter conditions, but the tread seems aggressive enough that I'm assuming I won't have problems. (The sooner it snows, the sooner I can test my assumptions, and the sooner winter will be over!)

Incidently, my Scorpion ATC's are M+S rated, yet are easily half as noisy as the stock Good Year all-season tires were. And vastly quieter than anyone else's aftermarket tires on Elements I've ridden in!

So long as you specify the make and model of your vehicle, from my past experience with them, anyway, TireRack should ship you the proper tire and wheel combo. They get a lot of repeat business, and they earn that by doing things right. I'd have bought my stuff there, except they didn't carry the brand or size wheels I chose.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It aint only the size and width of the rim you should be concerned with...You should also look at the offset....I believe the stock offset for the E is 45 I think the most you can get away with without any inherent problems would be 38...Lower the number the more it will stick out..(Neg offset) .You have to make sure it can clear all your steering linkage and your calipers....I would go more into detail but my break is about up...gotta go back to work hope this helps..cool

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Offset is a good point, elemento, but mine are actually 34, and still no problems in "ordinary circumstances". "Extraordinary circumstances" involved briefly carrying three EOC Misfits who each weighed slightly more than average in the rear of my Element during the national meet this past summer. Only drawback (if one chose to see it that way) was that my plastic fender liners' inside limit dimensions were slightly enlarged by the giant rubber "Dremel tool attachments" on the rear of my Element. :p Clearance "problem" solved, though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've decided to stay with 16s (was thinking of getting 18s) and settled for Pirelli Scorpion STR tires and ASA EMG rims (16x7) from The Tire Rack. Now, I would like to get the widest tire available without loosing traction and comfort. Also, what are "bolt patterns" and do I have to consider that when buying rims? I don't want to buy something that is not gonna suit my purposes and have to change it later on. Did a lot of searching, but still have questions.
Thanks for any advise and opinions.....Please keep in mind that I need an "all season" tire and rims I can run all year round.....
Here is the data on all Element wheel bolt patterns, etc. I included the data from my OEM '08 SC wheels. Of particular interest 2u is 'hub centricity' meaning that the wheel is specifically designed 2fit snugly around the hub center2 silence vibrations &make the balance on the wheel work properly. Buy what u like but if there is any advise that I can give u it is2 stick w/wheels that are either hub centric or equipped w/hub centricity rings. So many hv attempted 2align their wheels w/the5 lugs only& incurred vibrations believing it 2b the tires, wheels or the balance. Hub centricity is all important friend!

5 X 114.3 MM, 45MM offset, Center Bore: 64.1 mm, Lug Size: M12 x 1.5, 225/55R18,
'08 SC: 18" x 7" OEM wheels by Enkei?,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts