Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2008 vehicle that came with one, 1-seat in the back (the other was removed). I have a 115 pound Great Dane and I need to strap her in with a special dog car harness onto a seat that is BIG, i.e TWO SEATS that run together (like the normal back seat of a car). The harness is ONLY crash tested if she is strapped via a 3-point seat belt, all other options are dangerous for both of us (I've called several companies). So, can and how do I find a BACK SEAT that will fit into this vehicle AND that has safety belts that will work for this vehicle? Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have a dog who travels with me and gave a lot of thought to how to safely restraint it during long high speed trips. There are no DOT harness standards for dog safety restraints in vehicles.

I use a properly sized padded crate on top of one fully reclined rear seat and anchored to the LATCH connectors. A crate large enough for a Great Dane could be mounted there or on the floor.

Assuming that you believe the manufacturer, that the harness/belt combo will safely restrain your dog in their harness during a crash, the simplest solution would be to remove the other rear seat and connect the shoulder belt tongue to one of the floor anchors using a climbing-rated carabiner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts