Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so over the course of maybe last 8 yrs been dealing with OEM and Diehard Batteries not lasting more than 3yrs. And since having a company car last 4yrs, it's driven even less so its had a trickle charger on the Diehard battery for past 3yrs. Still it wasn't lasting as long as it should. More often than not 4-5 yrs should be the average...

So I picked up a "GOLD" Diehard this time. 51R - OEM size. I picked up new plastic battery box and associated parts from Colonial Honda since the rest of the engine bay is spotless / like new looking even sporting new valve cover/bolts ect. While I'm in there, not putting old parts back in. Removed the bottom tray to find that the metal platform it sits on had been growing some rust. I cleaned it up with sandpaper, and applied rust reformer ( black ) to the area which will convert and seal the rust. Then applied a coat of gray primer over that.

Upon further examination found that the lower part of the copper exposed ground line from NEG Battery terminal side was compromised. The transmission side of that Y harness was all green. When I barely touched the greenish corroded section attached to top of the transmission it basically fell all apart.

I took photos of the strap as you can see below. It would seem, due to all that corrosion of the line the sole connection from battery fwas going through the small fender strap line.....not good.

By vin for auto transmission the part number is: 32600-SCV-A01

About $50.00 from dealer or less if you go to ebay or order on line. I've applied PB blaster to the bolt for strap end at the transmission. The part will be in tomorrow.

Now, in the meantime.....possibly unrelated, for past several days been investigating a P0141 code......I'm hoping this "could be' related....if not, we'll get that o2 sensor replaced Tuesday. I have my doubts but never know. MPG hasn't been all that great for about 2 months or so.

So IMO, if you have an Element....next time you change the battery, OR having issues where your alternator is working proper but battery not lasting long....maybe pull the plastic bottom tray out and examine the strap below and check that end to the transmission.

Automotive tire Organism Grass Twig Wood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah, I replaced that battery connection strap with custom set up myself many, many years ago. As far me here in TX, I invest a lot in batteries (typically the gold $150 style), and I still don't really trust a battery after 3 years. In my experience after 3 years you are living on borrowed time I don't care what battery brand.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All done....just in time too as we have a storm on our heels....So sanded and treated the metal shelf for battery with that rust reformer ( good stuff ) new battery box, tie down set. Coded the AM/FM radio. Looks nice. Used a wire brush on the bolts and Dremel for the areas where harness attached to fender and engine for nice clean contact. Tip: To remove / install the engine bolt side of harness use a 1/8th ratchet with a 10mm socket....it's smaller to fit in that area for swinging room and if you use the PB blaster 24hrs before hand she will come right out without even so much as a grunt. Also reducing possibility of snapping off that bolt. I'd hate to have to drill it, no way to get that angle with a drill, or fit one in there for that matter... Kind of surprised the whole harness is not shrink wrapped,....what difference does it make by shrink wrapping it 4-5 inches up from engine side ? Maybe to allow flexibility for engine's movement ? :unsure:

PS: Gold 51R battery now $200.00. :p

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
All done....just in time too as we have a storm on our heels....So sanded and treated the metal shelf for battery with that rust reformer ( good stuff ) new battery box, tie down set. Coded the AM/FM radio. Looks nice. Used a wire brush on the bolts and Dremel for the areas where harness attached to fender and engine for nice clean contact. Tip: To remove / install the engine bolt side of harness use a 1/8th ratchet with a 10mm socket....it's smaller to fit in that area for swinging room and if you use the PB blaster 24hrs before hand she will come right out without even so much as a grunt. Also reducing possibility of snapping off that bolt. I'd hate to have to drill it, no way to get that angle with a drill, or fit one in there for that matter... Kind of surprised the whole harness is not shrink wrapped,....what difference does it make by shrink wrapping it 4-5 inches up from engine side ? Maybe to allow flexibility for engine's movement ? :unsure:

PS: Gold 51R battery now $200.00. :p
Nice work! Yep, they always credit me some from the old battery so it ends up being around $150. Am thinking I may opt for a Costco interstate battery next time I buy one…. Figure I don’t have much to lose.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
92 Posts
I have been getting in the habit of putting dielectric grease on any connections to reduce the chance of corrosion. My ground cable was on its last legs when I replaced it a few months ago. Although the connections themselves seemed OK, the exposed copper wires had very few remaining intact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts