Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love dogs. I HATE my neighbors dog. He is a dog in name only. More accurately, he is a grizzly bear/ draft horse hybrid. Huge, hairy, smelly, etc. All that is fine. He can't help it. My problem is that he is on a chain 24/7 and barks at everything that moves, including me in my own yard.

I bought my house because I have a nice river view, a lovely little bit of the country within walking distance from town. I love my spot. It's a half an acre of heaven. Or at least it used to be. Now, I cannot enjoy my yard because Cujo over there is trying to break his logging chain and attack.

Off of his chain, he is fine. On his chain, he is furious and loud, LOUD, LOUD.

I have spoken to his people, and they are awfully proud of their "watch dog" and tell me that he is just doing his job. Fine. He needs to do his job in his yard. I cannot put up with the constant barking at me in my yard. It's annoying to me and terrifying to my daughter (she is 3)

I am hesitant to call the police and thus start a feud with my neighbors, but I will if I cannot get some peace. Some friends of mine suggested a BB gun shot to the rump everytime he barks at me, but I cannot, will not do that. I have considered an air-horn in a can. Every time he barks, I will honk back at him. Maybe I will frighten him into silence, mabye I will annoy my neighbors into doing something about him.

Has anybody dealt with this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the dog is doing his job, unfortunatly it is the people he belongs to that have "given him/ok'ed" this job by allowing it to continue. i like your last option with the air horn, it may train him (actually his owners) into stopping the behavior. dogs only do what they are trained to do and you just need to train his owners that it isnt acceptable to bark at you in your own yard. you could try cookies and positive reinforcment with the dog, but all that will be negated by the owners if they think he is doing what he should be now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You can call the local dog warden and put in an anymous tip that there is a dog tied to a chain 24/7 and he just barks non stop and he is dispruptive. They will not take the dog but will go talk to the owners and give them a talking too and give check ups. If they do not comply, they will be fined and that will change their ways very fast. I had to do it a while back, they still have the dog but finally have peace, my dog does not do it, lol.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
662 Posts
Get your own Cujo and chain him up on your side of the property line. Then let them bark at each other.

Just kidding----I don't believe in chaining a pet, period.

I had a situation just like that many years ago. I spoke softly and positively to the dog every time I saw him (hey buddy, how are you doing today---things like that) and in about a month he would look forward to seeing me and wag his tail without barking. He was looking for attention, I suppose.

The owners got aggravated the dog wouldn't bark at me and some others and didn't think he was living up to their "watch dog" standards. They gave him away.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Oooh I love the air horn idea!

My neighbors have a parrot they keep outside in a cage, we get a daily barrage of foul language and screaming from it.
Our dog can't stand it when the bird screams, so he barks back, then the bird barks back and there is a full out war of dog /bird barking.

Were still working on teaching it "Oh no the zombies are here!" when the owners are not at home.:zombie001:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The owners got aggravated the dog wouldn't bark at me and some others and didn't think he was living up to their "watch dog" standards. They gave him away.

The next time he "fails" to bark at someone he is going to be shot, or so my neighbor says. He's a real class act. His kids (7 and 9) like to come over and "play" with my daughter (3). They teach her all kids of words and try to kick her off of her own swing set. They are a real fun bunch. I am about to put up a 20 foot fence with razor wire and a guard tower. I tried to be a good neighbor once and let them come over and play. Now they just show up when they feel like it.

I have tried for months to be sweet to this dog, and to no avail. He gets louder and more wrathful.

I don't think this guy is really going to hurt anyone, but I can't be sure. I live really close to him (like thirty feet between houses . . . it's a long, narrow lot) and I just don't want to get the law involved or escalate this thing.

I really want to move - in fact my house is for sale because I have found a better place, but who wants to buy a house next door to Cujo?

I think I am buying an airhorn tonight.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
You should hire a person to stand in your yard and every time the neighbors come out have the person just yell "hey! hey! hey!" very angrily and they don't stop, and when the neighbors complain tell them he is just doing his job.8)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should hire a person to stand in your yard and every time the neighbors come out have the person just yell "hey! hey! hey!" very angrily and they don't stop, and when the neighbors complain tell them he is just doing his job.8)

The air horn would be cheaper, but then again . . . this is awesome. I love it.

I teach high school, so I have no shortage of annoying people at my disposal.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
The air horn would be cheaper, but then again . . . this is awesome. I love it.

I teach high school, so I have no shortage of annoying people at my disposal.
Your new detention punishment is standing in your yard yelling, "THE NEIGHBORS ARE OUTSIDE! THE NEIGHBORS ARE OUTSIDE!" at your neighbors every time they come out of their house.

...or...

Tell them it's extra credit to study sociopathy :lol: :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
What a nightmare. Do be cautious in dealing with the neighbors, those things can quickly escalate into an ugly situation.

I have seen some anti-barking devices -- indoor and outdoor -- that react to a bark with a commensurate sound at a frequency unpleasant to the dog but not audible to people. They're not cheap. If it worked that would be a wonderful solution that avoided a neighbor altercation.

Along the lines of the air horn, which I would try, is a super loud whiste. I believe the "Storm Whistle" is the loudest as that's what I carry hiking.

A friend of mine has a Chi-Poo who goes ape-sh*t whenever she sees a dog on walks. My friend recently discovered that blowing a whistle disturbs her pup enough to disrupt her aggression (which is very loud).

http://www.stormwhistles.com/storm.html

The Storm whistle is twice as loud as any other mouth-blown whistle in the world. Initial testing was conducted by the Hearing Conservation Programs Inc., who tested the decibel rating of various military, sports and survival whistles against the Storm whistle. These first tests were performed in a sound proof booth at a distance of 15 feet with the whistle being blown by mouth, and had a number of variables, such as the person blowing the whistle and the accuracy of the sound level devices.

The second set of tests, conducted by the Central Institute for the Deaf, were performed in open air at a distance of 15 feet, 25 feet and 50 feet. Here the whistles were attached to a constant air source which was adjusted to the normal blowing strength typically generated by the mouth. The sound the whistles made was then analyzed by computer, using a double blind technique, detailing the amplitude and signature of the sound created.

With a standard whistle, nonproductive high frequency (over 5000 hertz) and nonproductive low frequency (below 2000 hertz) sounds are created. Because of the patented harmonic chamber that is unique to the Storm whistle, these high and low frequency sounds are recycled and focused into our extremely loud single 3150 hertz frequency of double the standard amplitude.

The focused 3150 hertz frequency was generated intentionally in accordance with government recommendations that showed that the 3150 hertz tone is the most readily heard over the noise of motors, crowds, and explosions.

In all these cases, test results showed the Storm whistle as being twice as loud as the other whistles.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Have you Googled on this subject?

http://www.barkingdogs.net/yourneighborsdog.shtml

Silencing Your Neighbor's Dog Through Personal Intervention
How to persuade your neighbors to quiet their chronically barking dogs
This page describes the various classifications of people who keep barking dogs, and provides an appropriate strategy for dealing with each group. It also goes into detail about you what can expect from the police in the event that they should become involved.

What not to say
Living in a house inundated with externally-fed noise can bring life to the boiling point, generating unrelenting turmoil and keeping everyone upset. With the entire family under acoustic siege and everyone exhausted, it is easy to say something you shouldn't. But some things are best kept under wraps and there are a couple things that you must never say. This page will tell you what they are.

How to put your neighbor's barking dog on YouTube - and why you might want to
This page will tell you how, by videotaping your neighbor's dog and publicly posting your digital video on YouTube, you can shame your irresponsible neighbor while bringing pressure to bear on your local authorities to take action. In addition, after you have completed your upload, you can include a link in any emails you might choose, so that the email recipient need only click on the link in order to view your neighbor's dog, in all his glory, displayed in full color, barking furiously on their computer screen.

Remote, free-standing, sound-emitting, anti-barking devices
This section describes a type of device you can place in your yard, that may serve to quiet a nearby canine by bombarding his owners, and/or the dog himself, with noxious noise, every time the animal barks. However, please note that this website has received numerous complaints from readers saying that the devices described in this section had no discernable impact on the barking of their neighbor's dogs. Therefore, even though we have had a few positive reports, we do not recommend these products.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Each and every time, call the police! You have the rights to stand in your own yard, undisturbed.

The police will get sick of the calls and impose a fine at some point. That will force the people to correct the situation.

Dom

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Get a motion detector light (the uber bright kind) aim the motion detector at the dog and lights at whatever angle pisses the neighbor off the most.
Between that and the dog training device listed above, you should be able to train both neighbor and dog effectively.
If the neighbor DOES shoot the dog, contact your local branch of the ASPCA. They prosecute and have STRONG ties to the police. Besides, it sounds like this neighbor needs a good beatdown by the cops to put him into a reflective state of mind.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's the best response I've ever heard to this problem! I'm calling my friends with barky next-door neighbor dogs.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I don't guess I have to say that I'm a big fan of dogs, especially the big guys. So some might be shocked by what I'm about to say.

The solution to the problem is to contact your local Animal Control Office or whatever the name of the officials that govern the animal laws in your area. Do this TODAY - don't wait. Not only is chaining a dog 24/7 illegial in most areas, it's playing with fire when it comes to the animal's behavior.

This will turn ugly at some point - either the humans or the dog itself. Simply ignoring the issue won't achieve anything.

It's fairly evident that your neighbors don't have any intention of doing what's right for the dog, so maybe being given an 'ultimatum' by law enforcement will nudge them into doing something for the dog.

It's not the dog's fault for barking all the time - who wants to be chained out 24/7? Honestly, if someone doesn't get that dog off the chain - someone will wind up hurt.

It may be that the 'owners' simply don't know any better - rather than just simply don't care... maybe printing out some of the many facts about chained dogs and leaving it at their door might help.

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Facts.htm

http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2008/02/chained-dog-limits.html

http://www.workingpitbull.com/fatalbook.htm

I can go on and on, but I think everyone sees my point.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HikerChick,

That is a great read. Thank you.

I just thought of one thing. He rents. I own. His landlord is a reasonable guy, maybe talk to him about it? I dunno . . . could work.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
HikerChick,

That is a great read. Thank you.

I just thought of one thing. He rents. I own. His landlord is a reasonable guy, maybe talk to him about it? I dunno . . . could work.

Definitely talk to his landlord, for whom that dog is a liability problem. On that note, you should alert the landlord via a very businesslike letter (via certified mail) which mentions your 3 year old, and urge them to call you. Keep a copy of the letter and the certified receipt.

That might cure the issue right then and there.

:)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts