Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting, I purchased a car hauler (fully enclosed) for the "E" when needed. I also use the trailer for our dirtbikes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cool! That sounds like a much nicer way to bring the E. How much does the car hauler weigh empty?

·
Registered
177 Posts
daroy said:
Not to sure of the weight but I think it's around 3,000 pounds
Thanks!
BTW-I did find that the E definitely needs remotely controlled brakes (they are required in many states for any towed car over 3000#) and it does tow very nicely. Despite all that I wish I had a car hauler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WARNING TO ALL 4WD ELEMENT OWNERS:

I just read my owners manual for the first time and came across this warning from Honda: If you break down or need to be towed for any reason, your vehicle MUST be put up on a flatbed truck ONLY and can not be towed, or else damage will occur to the drive train! :shock:

My apologies to any four wheel drive veteran's who already know this and are saying: Duhhh!!!........But, this is for the benifit of any other four wheel drive newbies like myself who had no idea that our E's cannot be towed. Let's all make sure not to park in a tow zone this summer, which could turn out to be very costly!! :-o
This does not match what is in the manual.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
730 Posts
You said "your vehicle MUST be put up on a flatbed truck ONLY and can not be towed" but the manual said "To avoid damage to the 4WD system, it must be towed with all four wheels on the ground (flat towing)".
The original poster (who hasn't been on since 2011) said that. That statement is primarily for emergency situations; if it is towed with only two wheels on the ground, it will cause damage. If you break down with a 4WD system and the vehicle is not capable of rolling on all four wheels, then it needs to be put on a flatbed truck or car hauler trailer,. If it is capable of rolling on all four wheels, you still need to put it on a flatbed or trailer because to tow it with all four wheels on the ground it requires a tow bar (which you probably don't have and a standard tow service isn't set up to do) and following the procedure linked for flat towing (which you may not be able to do because the engine doesn't run or there is some other problem with the transmission).

Obviously, a FWD E can be towed with only the rear wheels on the ground without a problem.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,887 Posts
Sometime between 2004 and 2008 Honda dropped "Towing Your Vehicle Behind a Motorhome" from the Owners Manual.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts