Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. A good friend of mine helped me find one. I traded my Grand Cherokee with 230K miles on it for a 2003 Element Ex with 256k Miles on it.
Currently it has the wonderful P2646 code and the buzzing ignition. Already changed the oil with proper oil and filter today no dice. Going to try the other suggestions listed here and go from there. Replaced the power steering fluid with proper honda fluid and wouldn't you know it the whine went away. Usual suspension clunking so I ordered new strut assemblies and new ball joints. Tie rods looked great and was able to do an alignment at my shop today. New tires will be installed this week as well as the struts and ball joints. It is an AWD. Any other suggestions other than what I have already ordered and figured out would be wonderful. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Congrats!

Your approximate location in your profile (or this thread) might be helpful to determine "rust belt survivor" or "babied southern ride" status of your new ride... :LOL:

Sounds like you're well equipped to handle most anything if you did alignment...(y)

Top of mind:
  • Sway-bar bushings as well as end links -- clunking sounds potential
  • Adjustable upper control arms in the rear -- typical rear wheel camber issues
  • Differential Dynamic Dampener Dorman 924-441 -- more clunking sounds potential -- AWD specific
  • Dual Pump II rear differential fluid change -- funky sounds while turning was due to yucky fluid when I got mine -- AWD specific
    Note: Pretty much has to be Honda DP II fluid... There's a differential clutch burnishing sequence to get the good stuff everywhere... blah,blah,blah
All I can think of without clearing out too many cobwebs from my brain...

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the board!
Congrats!

Your approximate location in your profile (or this thread) might be helpful to determine "rust belt survivor" or "babied southern ride" status of your new ride... :LOL:

Sounds like you're well equipped to handle most anything if you did alignment...(y)

Top of mind:
  • Sway-bar bushings as well as end links -- clunking sounds potential
  • Adjustable upper control arms in the rear -- typical rear wheel camber issues
  • Differential Dynamic Dampener Dorman 924-441 -- more clunking sounds potential -- AWD specific
  • Dual Pump II rear differential fluid change -- funky sounds while turning was due to yucky fluid when I got mine -- AWD specific
    Note: Pretty much has to be Honda DP II fluid... There's a differential clutch burnishing sequence to get the good stuff everywhere... blah,blah,blah
All I can think of without clearing out too many cobwebs from my brain...

Cheers!
I am from Georgia. The element was traded for in Georgia but comes from Virginia. On the alignment wrack minimum of rust. Cv boots all look good. Have already ordered trans and diff fluid. Struts and ball joints will be here Thursday as well as tires. Hoping to fix the dreaded code this evening.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Fantastic! Minimum rust is a GREAT thing...

The only other things that comes to mind (because you'll be RIGHT THERE working) are the bushings that are inside lower control arms in the front...
(the two ends opposite the ball joints)

Compliance bushing - 04513-SCV-000 - Bush Set, FR. Compliance (SERVICE) (RIGHT AND LEFT SET)
& the other one... whatever it's called :oops: - 51392-SCV-A91 - Bush, FR. Arm (LOWER) (YUSA)

Keep in mind, the listed part numbers are from my 2007 SC as that was up on my screen still... cross reference if you need to... your mileage may vary.... I'm not responsible for anything, ever... blah, blah, blah... :LOL:

-brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed that stupid code. Wound up replacing the whole unit with one from Honda and wouldn’t you know it. No issue. New tires and sway bar end links today as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts