Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I posted about a used '08 that I was really interested in the perpetual price thread, but the dealership is playing hardball. Its an '08 AWD EX TM with 25k miles and its certified. They have it listed at $18900, I offered $17500, but they said the best they can do is $18700. I am going to try and wait them out. I didnt want to clutter that thread up, so I figured I would start a new one to see what you guys think about a different vehicle.

I did a search of E's near my home town, this way I can fly in and visit family and friends at the same time. Well I found a new '08 AWD EX GGM, almost exactly what I am looking for (I prefer Blue but GG is a close 2nd). Only thing is, its a demo vehicle, are those usually taken care of? I would think they would be abused a bit.

I dont know the exact mileage yet, they havent responded to that question but I would think it wouldnt be over 2k. They did throw an amount out, $20,236 + ttl. I was curious what you guys think a good price on this vehicle would be? I was trying to find the invoice for a new '08, but can only find 09's. I know they have to be deperate to get rid of this thing.

Thanks again for all of you help. I am hoping soon I can officially join your group! :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
ATX33,

My dealer has a 2008 SC NEW not a demo he will sell for $19,600. The msrp on it is about the same so for a used one (demo? do a car fax and see who the owner was...bet you find it was bought at auction by the dealer) I think they are high.

I'm purchasing a 2009 New AWD Auto EX for $22,450 including splash guards +ttl to give you something to compare to. I would think a (almost) 2 yr old car would be worth more than $2,000 off? Good Luck out there.......You might go to some dealers in your area and see what kind of deal you can make on a 2009:)

Please fill out your profile so we can see where you are!;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BuckSkinColt

Yeah I am going back and forth here. There is not too much of a selection of any year of Element in Austin right now, its kind of frusterating. There are zero '07-'08 EX Elements, and three '09 EX Elements (all 2wd) in a 50 mile radius. :-(

On the 09's I might be leaning towards the 2wd due to no moonroof, I really dont know how much I would use it here in Austin. I'm taking a '09 EX 2wd out for a test drive tomorrow. Its the blue (too dark for me). If I go with one they would have to do a dealer trade for CM, ASM or OBP. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, took an '09 2wd EX out for a test drive today and loved the way it drove. Maybe this is due to driving a '99 Silerado Ext Cab Z71 for 9 years, probably most new cars will drive better. :rolleyes: I also thought the seats and cabin were comfy and even though I read negative views on seat fabric, I liked it.

Since there are no 07's or 08's in my area, I would love to compare the two but cant. Can someone please tell me the differences of the ride quality, and comfy cabin of the 09 to the 08 that has experienced both.

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have test driven both (they were AWD) As far as seats, ride etcetera they are the same. I did feel the 2009 was quite a bit quieter than the 08. Now mind you I didn't have any science to prove this.:) But I really felt is was quiet.

Other than that the drive train is the same, same engine & transmission. Same seats and interior other than the 09 has the handy little cooler. But as far as handling and ride I doubt you could tell any difference.

Again unless you can get an 08 used quite a bit cheaper I would think it is smarter to go 09 but that would be your choice. I'd pound on them for a good price on a new one and see how you do.

This is a handy little site to tell you what kind of price range you should be in for new. http://truecar.com/release/makes/make_all.html

The dealers might be a little tougher on new right now because of the cash for clunkers but there are some that want and need to sell.;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I am trying to work a dealer on the price of an 08 AWD EX, but they are 4 hours away, I havent test driven it yet. If I can get a new 09 for only $2-$3k more, I figure might as well go new. I prefer the '08 body stlye but a $2-$3k difference in price for a brand new one is not much. I might as well put my own mileage and damage on the vehicle to start out :D

I am willing to wait until there is a new incentive from Honda to the dealer on a new 09, just dont know when that will be. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks buckskin, you have been a huge help.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Probably a good call to go the bit extra for the new one. A "demo" unit with 25K on it means it was likely used as a service loaner, parts pick/delivery, or service customer bus for pickup/dropoff of service customers for a long time. Not much of a discount for as much use as that vehicle has had. My '08 bought last summer hasn't hit 20K yet and I commute 50 miles a day to and from work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am willing to wait until there is a new incentive from Honda to the dealer on a new 09, just don't know when that will be. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks buckskin, you have been a huge help.
atx33,

My dealer told me that the incentives (if you call Honda's cash to dealer money, incentive) are all off until Sept 1st. I suspect that will change if the cash for clunkers program runs out of money:confused: I was using Edmund's to find the incentives because Honda does not advertise them anywhere.

As far as helping goes, I'm happy to give any information I can but I really don't have all that much. I've just been shopping for the last 4 or 5 months so I have a little in that area. I was looking used until the CFC program came around, with that money I can buy new close to the cost of a 2006 so why not?

Are you trading anything or will you purchase outright? You might try the "proven strategy" sticky at the top of this page. That's how I got hooked up with the dealer I'm buying from. He is 125 miles away but I'm also saving close to $1200 compared to my locals dealers "best deal". And I'm right at True Car's "Great Price" point.:D

Happy Shopping:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Probably a good call to go the bit extra for the new one. A "demo" unit with 25K on it means it was likely used as a service loaner, parts pick/delivery, or service customer bus for pickup/dropoff of service customers for a long time. Not much of a discount for as much use as that vehicle has had. My '08 bought last summer hasn't hit 20K yet and I commute 50 miles a day to and from work.
Sorry if I worded it wrong. I am looking at a 08 AWD EX with 25k miles, which had 1 owner and is certified for $18900. I offered $17500 but no deal so far. Then I found a new 08 AWD EX that was a demo which had 9k miles on it. I just figured they would want to get it out the door and give a great deal, but the best they could do on the price is $20200.

On new vehicles, getting invoice isnt too tough, I talked to 2 dealers and one already qouted me invoice. I figured if I am patient and wait for the $1k cash to dealer program again, then I could get the dealer to drop the price $1k under invoice. Which has happen to a few others here on EOC. So then I could get a 09 EX Awd for around $21800 or I could go 2wd and get $20700.

Not much of a price difference in my opinion. If I can get that Certified '08 to $17500, that will probably push me to do it. btw here is the link to it:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ission=&max_price=&cardist=138&standard=false

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
atx33,

My dealer told me that the incentives (if you call Honda's cash to dealer money, incentive) are all off until Sept 1st. I suspect that will change if the cash for clunkers program runs out of money:confused: I was using Edmund's to find the incentives because Honda does not advertise them anywhere.

As far as helping goes, I'm happy to give any information I can but I really don't have all that much. I've just been shopping for the last 4 or 5 months so I have a little in that area. I was looking used until the CFC program came around, with that money I can buy new close to the cost of a 2006 so why not?

Are you trading anything or will you purchase outright? You might try the "proven strategy" sticky at the top of this page. That's how I got hooked up with the dealer I'm buying from. He is 125 miles away but I'm also saving close to $1200 compared to my locals dealers "best deal". And I'm right at True Car's "Great Price" point.:D

Happy Shopping:)
September 1st, not too far away. If a great deal on a '07 or '08 pops up before then great but waiting a month is fine with me. From my experience and research, a dealer will apply that towards lowering the price $1k (or incentive amount), worth it to wait IMHO. I will keep my eyes open on Edmunds for that incentive to the dealer starting sooner, it very well could due to money running out. The salesman I test drove with yesterday said they have been swamped due to people using the CFC program, I wish I had a clunker :-(

Hey any little bit of info helps, I appreciate it!

As far as trading in my truck, I will see what they offer but I will probably sell it outright. Its a '99 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Z71 4x4 LT (leather) with 125k miles on it and very clean. Its been a great truck and I have never had a problem with it, I am just tired of getting 12-13 mpg. Plus I dont like taking it on long road trips. Researching the market, getting a min of $7k will be easy.

So if you dont mind me asking what package of E did you buy? What sales price did you get?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
09 EX AWD Auto with splash guards is $22,447.18 + TTL less $4,500 CFC = $17,947.18 = :D:D:D:D:D:D:D Just hope there is still cash left by Monday?
Wow, you got them down to dealer cost. Great job! I might have to use your strategy. What color are you going with?

I like the Citrus Fire (havent seen it in person) but my girlfriend hates it. I like OBP but the silver strip on the back door looks really out of place on that color. ASM is boring but a safe solid color.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow, you got them down to dealer cost. Great job! I might have to use your strategy. What color are you going with?

I like the Citrus Fire (havent seen it in person) but my girlfriend hates it. I like OBP but the silver strip on the back door looks really out of place on that color. ASM is boring but a safe solid color.
Mine is Citrus Fire Metallic LOL:lol: just like this http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57312

OBP is hard to find here and sometimes I really like it and other times I could leave it...:confused: Tango Red isn't bad, but I just thought the Orange looked more like an E and It will shine up better. And there is an Orange Cult on here too!:D

Yup, I just faxed every dealer I could find that I would be willing to drive to and gave them What I was willing to pay ($23,000 when they had $1,000 cash to dealer) and these guys came in @ $23,447.18. I had one lower price but they backed out. Of course I lost the $1,000 the 8th of July because of Honda dumping incentives when the CFC was available but I think I'm still way ahead when my 96 Ford explorer with 145,000 miles on it has a trade value of $800:D This dealer has honored the price he gave me throughout the deal with no games. I'll post his name when the deal is done!

Just keeping my fingers crossed that this CFC program holds up, otherwise I'm back to shopping for a used one.:-(

Try the fax thing it works!:smile:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sorry if I worded it wrong. I am looking at a 08 AWD EX with 25k miles, which had 1 owner and is certified for $18900. I offered $17500 but no deal so far. Then I found a new 08 AWD EX that was a demo which had 9k miles on it. I just figured they would want to get it out the door and give a great deal, but the best they could do on the price is $20200.

On new vehicles, getting invoice isnt too tough, I talked to 2 dealers and one already qouted me invoice. I figured if I am patient and wait for the $1k cash to dealer program again, then I could get the dealer to drop the price $1k under invoice. Which has happen to a few others here on EOM. So then I could get a 09 EX Awd for around $21800 or I could go 2wd and get $20700.

Not much of a price difference in my opinion. If I can get that Certified '08 to $17500, that will probably push me to do it. btw here is the link to it:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ission=&max_price=&cardist=138&standard=false
I think your making good calls - even at 9K, they must still have used that "demo" as a service loaner or parts delivery, and are really asking too much of a premium $ for it. They want new car money for what is now a year-old well used car. In the past, I've had good luck going in with the "industry" pricing from several sites, like Edmunds, BlueBook, Black Book, etc. - showing what a particular vehicles "retail price" would be. Usually when you show Dealers you know the score, they will deal a bit more. Also, near the end of the month, when the sales guys need to make quota helps too. You might also watch for Honda finance incentives too. When we bought ours, we got 0.09% for 4 years through Honda.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys, that dealer called back (not the demo E) and dropped the price on the '08 AWD EX in TM to $17,500. It has 25k miles and its certified. I havent seen it or taken it out for a test drive since its 4 hours away. Its the only 07-08 EX AWD within 300 miles.

According to Edmunds.com this vehicle's certified used value is $21,096, NADA (It doesnt add for the Certified) is $19375, and KBB is showing $22010 retail. Trade in Value according to KBB in Excellent shape is $16825.

I started leaning towards a new '09 after test driving one this weekend and finding out I could probably get a '09 EX 2wd at $20700 when the $1k cash back to dealer starts back up. At $17500 though, it sounds like a very good deal. Plus it has Fog Lights, Roof Rack and Bug Shield and center console for add ons. The 2 things I am unsure of is the color, never seen it in person (I kinda like it, my girlfriend hates it) and the mileage is kinda high for an '08.

What do you guys think? They said I would need to buy it before this Saturday. What am I going to miss from the '09 besides the cooler and the outside temp gauge?

Here is a link to it.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rice=&cardist=138&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seems like a good deal to me. Make sure the deal is certified through Honda 5yr 100k plan and I'd think it's a done deal. You are not missing much other than the body change and you get a Sunroof And us with 09's don't. Not sure if the 08 color is CFM or Tangerine metallic? either way it's a nice color:D, you could join the ORANGE cult!:D Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like a good deal to me. Make sure the deal is certified through Honda 5yr 100k plan and I'd think it's a done deal. You are not missing much other than the body change and you get a Sunroof And us with 09's don't. Not sure if the 08 color is CFM or Tangerine metallic? either way it's a nice color:D, you could join the ORANGE cult!:D Good luck.
Yeah it is certified thru Honda, not the dealer. I am still torn on getting this one or waiting for a new '09 when the $1k cash to dealer starts back up. Its a good deal and I have a feeling I could get even more off when I get to the dealer, but I could get a good deal on a new one too.

I take very good care of my stuff. So getting a new E, I know will stay in great shape. The used E already has 25k miles on it in 1 year, thats a ton of mileage and possible wear and tear.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

BTW, nice looking E buck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Decisions, decisions. :confused:

BTW, nice looking E buck!
Yeah it's a tough one. I'm like you I like to buy new because I know the history that way. You have no idea what kind of 25k those are.

Thanks for the comp!I sure do like it....Now for A bug guard, wheels and some sort of Bluetooth or Bluetooth/radio/nav sort of thing. As you can tell not sure what I'm doing there yet:confused:

Trust your gut, I know you will do the best thing for your situation. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah it's a tough one. I'm like you I like to buy new because I know the history that way. You have no idea what kind of 25k those are.

Thanks for the comp!I sure do like it....Now for A bug guard, wheels and some sort of Bluetooth or Bluetooth/radio/nav sort of thing. As you can tell not sure what I'm doing there yet:confused:

Trust your gut, I know you will do the best thing for your situation. :)
Yeah, after thinking about it tonight my gut is saying no to the '08. I'm a guy that loves a deal but I'm not feeling it. There is a reason its been on the lot unsold for a few months. Plus its not exactly what I am looking for, so I might as well buy something that is for a little more.

So, you have had the E for a day or 2 now. Everything you have hoped for? Did you look for an E with Navi? I dont think there are many out there. How much would a navi with bluetooth be?

Are you considering stepbars? I like they way they look on a 08 and older, but havent seen a pic on the 09.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.