Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My father really likes the Element. I am planning on getting him a 2010 EX model. I have read as much as i could on it. Unfortunately, there is not an EX for me to testdrive around where i live...there is barely any 2009 model left! :( So, i have to wait for the 2010's to come in. Anyway, i have a few quick Q's:

1. How comfortable are the front seats? I know that there are no lumbar support...does it need one?

2. Along the same lines, how comfortable are the Active Headrests on the front seats? My wife's Acura TSX headrest are supremely comfortable...unlike many other manufacturer's active headrest which tend to prod the back of your head uncomfortably.

3. I know that it is a box...i have one too. Is the windnoise bad on the highway? Which is worst...wind noise or roadnoise? I had a 1997 Honda CRV which had horrible road noise isolation (but a damn fine machine otherwise!). I know that there was a TSB for 2009 model's windshield...did that help (for '09 owners)??

4. How is the highway ride?? Not too bouncy?? I know that the wheelbase is kinda short.

5. Is there any known defect on the Element? Subframe cracking or something along those lines?

6. Lastly, how is the EX model's stereo system (270 watt)?? Does it sound good? Is there a CD changer that you can hook it up to?? (My father is very low-tech...so, forget about IPOD, etc.)

Thanks for helping me (and my father) out!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want a quiet ride, the Element probably isn't for you. It rides like a truck. Not bouncy, per say, but not a Cadillac, ;p

I think whatever bumpy ride it has is made up for with an awesome turn radius.

The audio system is pretty decent for factory. There is an 8" sub up front that gives decent basic bass output. Of course it's low watt so it doesn't really get any louder past 10 on the volume dial. Then again your old man prolly doesn't care about the boom ;) The treble could be better. I drive a 2007 tho, not sure if they put better tweeters in the newer ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a quiet ride, the Element probably isn't for you. It rides like a truck. Not bouncy, per say, but not a Cadillac, ;p

I think whatever bumpy ride it has is made up for with an awesome turn radius.

The audio system is pretty decent for factory. There is an 8" sub up front that gives decent basic bass output. Of course it's low watt so it doesn't really get any louder past 10 on the volume dial. Then again your old man prolly doesn't care about the boom ;) The treble could be better. I drive a 2007 tho, not sure if they put better tweeters in the newer ones.
Thanks for the feedback!!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Thai. Most of your answers have been addressed here (browse/search for opinions), but you will be able to answer most of them yourself with a test drive.

Seats: Many aftermarket lumbar pillows to choose from.

Noise: sound-deadening materials can help if you don't mind DIYing or paying an installer.

Active headrests? That's new to me.

Thread moved to Shoppin' and Test Drivin'.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey all,

1. How comfortable are the front seats? I know that there are no lumbar support...does it need one?

Thanks for helping me (and my father) out!!
I haven't had a problems with lumbar support, but the cushion is very uncomfortable. Two days into a cross country trip I was stopping to shop for a cushion to sit on. The only options I've found are to buy a cushion or add padding to the seat, which involves removing and reinstalling the upholstery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am 60+ years old, so my thoughts might be more on the line of your dad. I have had my E for well over a year now and have 23,000 miles on it. I drive it daily to work 30 miles one way over two lane back roads, one of which is called the roller coaster for a good reason.

I have not had any real issues with the front seats. I have spent time in the hospital with my back, but even on 5+ hour trips, I have not felt that I needed anymore support.

On mine I would say more road noise than wind noise; however, depending on the road, sometimes not very noticeable at all.

As was stated by someone else, the ride is not a luxury ride, but it is not supposed to be. However, it is way better than some of my vehicles in the past that would jar your fillings out of your teeth over the slightest bump.

I think the sound system is very good for me. I love XM and very seldom listen to anything else.

Overall, I think the E is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else. To me it is good reliable transportation, decent gas mileage, and very versatile. That is what I got it for and it has not disappointed.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 60+ years old, so my thoughts might be more on the line of your dad. I have had my E for well over a year now and have 23,000 miles on it. I drive it daily to work 30 miles one way over two lane back roads, one of which is called the roller coaster for a good reason.

I have not had any real issues with the front seats. I have spent time in the hospital with my back, but even on 5+ hour trips, I have not felt that I needed anymore support.

On mine I would say more road noise than wind noise; however, depending on the road, sometimes not very noticeable at all.

As was stated by someone else, the ride is not a luxury ride, but it is not supposed to be. However, it is way better than some of my vehicles in the past that would jar your fillings out of your teeth over the slightest bump.

I think the sound system is very good for me. I love XM and very seldom listen to anything else.

Overall, I think the E is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else. To me it is good reliable transportation, decent gas mileage, and very versatile. That is what I got it for and it has not disappointed.:)
Great feedback!! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Front seats

I agree with KYRoadkill. I am 63 and have a back problem...no need for any more support. The gas milelage is only ok because of its weight and coefficient of drag. (My 8 cylinder 2008 Corvette gets better gas mileage.)

My issue is with not one improvement made in the 2010, I am opting for the 2010 RAV4 Limited which has a low load height and abundant creature comforts. It costs $5k more but at my age, I want my comforts...I earned them.

I have 4 Hondas ....the Element is great if he has a dog or hauls Plasma TV's but as a comfortable car it needs improving.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just finish 2400 miles road trip up & down Oregon in 9 days with 2 dogs. We went through Crater Lakes, Bend, Mt. Hood, Hood River, Portland, & Mt. Shasta. I drove 90% of time without any problem. My wife has no problem sleeping during the drive also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for everyone's input! Still waiting for the 2010's to come in. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have owned the 2010 E for about 5 days and 300 miles so far. I find the seats and head rests very comfortable. The ride is not as quiet as most sedans but its not a sedan. I'd say its comparable to the CRV or Rav-4 if you've been inside one of those. The speaker system is good with the built in subwoofer. I was worried I would need aftermarket stereo components because I like my music loud and full of bass, but the E delivered. It has a USB cord to connect to the Ipod and it works just like a CD. Your dad could work it. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have owned the 2010 E for about 5 days and 300 miles so far. I find the seats and head rests very comfortable. The ride is not as quiet as most sedans but its not a sedan. I'd say its comparable to the CRV or Rav-4 if you've been inside one of those. The speaker system is good with the built in subwoofer. I was worried I would need aftermarket stereo components because I like my music loud and full of bass, but the E delivered. It has a USB cord to connect to the Ipod and it works just like a CD. Your dad could work it. :D
Good to hear. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts