Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a 2010 4WD EX in January with about 88,000 miles. Took it in for an inspection and everything checked out aside from needing a new battery. The old battery was wasn't bad but dealership offered to replace with a brand new one. I park it in a covered but open parking garage and I've needed to jump the car now 3 times in the past 2 months. I sometimes go without driving for 4-5 days but there seems to be some kind of drain going on within the car. Additionally, the unlock button on my key fob will stop working and that has coincided with the battery draining and needing a jump. Once I jump it, it runs fine and there's no issues but trying to figure out if there's a light or something that I'm missing that could be on that's draining the battery. I've had diagnostics run on the battery and its a perfectly fine battery as well as alternator so trying to understand what I'm missing here.

I'd appreciate anyone's help or guidance as I'm set to go on a 5 month road trip in a couple weeks and would like to get this solved before I leave.

Thanks so much!
Chris

·
Registered
217 Posts
These are always difficult problems to solve. If you have DIY know-how with Electronics, I'd start pulling fuses in the under-dash fuse box first and checking each circuit with an ammeter. If that doesn't work, move to the under-hood fuse box. Eventually you'll find the circuit pulling more than it should. Most circuits should be completely dead, except the radio, ECU, and Alarm.

If you don't know what that means, you should take back to dealer or go to a shop.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,701 Posts
You are going to have to connect an amp meter to check for parasitic draw. If you don't know how or don't have amp meter, time to have a pro look at it.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd appreciate anyone's help or guidance as I'm set to go on a 5 month road trip in a couple weeks and would like to get this solved before I leave.
That part of the original message might explain the missing replies right now. That new poster was probably pretty busy. Check back in a few months - maybe see what happens. [high pitched scream] Flash Gordon theme music...

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,701 Posts
Most times with post counts that low, I move on. They are fishing for a quick fix they have no clue.

Guess this one 'hooked me'..

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
169 Posts
Parasitic Draw seems pretty straight forward.

If you don't already own a multi-meter, you might want to add one to your tool box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts