Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, though I have used it quite a bit to research future projects for my element. I would like to get some feedback on a new bed platform idea that I have. I had made pookster's pvc frame in the past for an element that i no longer have. It worked pretty well, but I wanted to come up with something that had more support without needing storage bins or a cooler under it. I also wanted to make something that was more compact when not in use, and was as light as possible. So my question is, how does this idea sound to anyone willing to respond?: The platform (when set up) would be 5' x 38" x 15", I'm hoping it will weigh no more than 50 lbs., will be collapsible to about 5' x 16" x 6", and it would be really easy to fasten it to the center seat brackets (as I've read that anchoring to these is safer than the side anchors). You would then use an air mattress (this seems to be the most efficient thing to use from a space standpoint) or something else on top of it. Any feedback (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated. I know that everyone has different needs, so I don't expect this to work well for everyone.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I've been giving considerable thought to an aluminum frame (U-channels, angle, and extruded beams). For a top surface, I'm trying to noodle out something that could serve dual-purpose as a table (or tables), locking in place for transport or sleep.

For now, we're just using a layer of Rubbermaid tubs covered by heavy blankets, and then our air mattress and bedding.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We use the rear seats folded flat with rubbermaids in the footwells of the backseats, cover the whole thing in a custom cut piece of 3 inch foam. It is really close to a full size bed. We have to carry 3 people and 2 small dogs, so taking out the seats isn't an option for me. I am thinking about switching the rubbermaids to action packers so we can have the action packers double as camp chairs or tables. My only problem is the hole between the headrests. I'd love something to plug into the head rest that makes that whole area usable instead of huge gap not supported. We shove our shoes and jackets under the folded down seats but it isn't enough support.

I have also thought of making a table that fits behind the front seats that would be the height of the rear seats for a bed extension and then raise up to use as table while seated in the back seats. There is plenty of room but not sure what would be best for legs. I did see an RV table kit that might work if I didn't have the cooler console. I am still problem solving my Element for my camping rig, so any new ideas are welcome in my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bed platform idea input

I havent tried it yet, but I think just a simple air mattress with all the seats folded flat would be just fine. No storage issue, just deflate and fold it up. Has anyone tried this yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts