Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157622456096585/

Forgive me if it's confusing, I've never flicked before. The bottom line for us was being able to use the third seat. This would have worked great for a single as well.

I'm really pleased. Tomorrow I'll post pics of the cushions, I'll fasten those with velcro and the what's super great? I've made them so they can be folded over and used as pillows!

I'm very excited,lol. I didn't want to overload so here are a few and if I did the link correctly the rest are on Flikr or however that's spelled.

This can also be used as a single/double option. Just build the larger one on the right and when you want a double, the passenger rear seat snugs right next to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres detail with the flkr pics. Should I have put that here? Im happy to answer any questions but I need to know what they are. This isn't my field at all so what might seem obvious info to you well, lol.

Sorry if this should be in mods, btw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll need:

8 1.5 inch PVC Elbows

8 1.5 inch PVC T Joins

8 8.3/4 inch 1.5 inch PVC tubing for the legs

1.5 inch PVC for frame (you'll be cutting this into 16 sections measurements when he gets back or you can eyeball it)

8 As Seen On TV! Furniture sliders for feet (used glue spray to affix)
2 heavy duty hinges

2 turnbuckles (I think ours are ten inch but don't hold me to that)
wood screws

3/4 inch plywood, one piece 48 x 22 and one 48 x 18 (that's your flip side)

I'm sure I'm missing something there, and please remeasure to suit yourself.
We used commercial carpet and glue spray to cover. If there is anything you think I should add here or to Flckr or a question, please feel free to mention or ask.

I'm not a pattern person, all my stiff is visual, I don't even measure my spinning, so I know there is stuff I left out.

Should I post all the pics here as well?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All done! Decided it made more sense to use the cushions in the front for the pups. Travel pillows fit underneath. Mattress is tucked in the side. To level the cushions I'm storing an emergency blanket in the space where the towels are (to give you an idea of space).

You can also see it clears the thrid seat nicely. I suppose you could simply unhinge the platform to convert it to a single. Like I mentioned before, with the single 22 inch platform the third seat becomes level to make a double.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'll chime in...

Looked at the Flickr link and it was helpful... A few details that are missing are mainly the length of the tubes to use as the "legs" and how the legs are attached to the other side of the platform that folds over to make it a double-size/full width size...

Also, the details of what type, size, and how you got the carpet/cover on the platform... Not too bad for a DIY post...! *applause*, *applause*... How do you guys solve the problem of the rear locking hatch...?

I've camped with the Coleman double-size air matt (too big) and an Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart brand) single then I've just recently found the Coleman SUV matt which I'll try next trip out...

All-in-all good stuff and glad you posted...!!! Hope this helped out...! Sorry, would've gotten an answer to you sooner but I've been away for 12-days (gosh, talk about withdrawal!!!) LOL!!!

LBD

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
I like this. I like the lengthwise option of folding it in half.
When with dogs I may need more space and without, less space.

Haven't seen many that ya can fold over that way.

Nice job.

jurn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts