Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to installing my new BlingLights foglights and I have to say, I absolutely love 'em! BlingLights has a fantastic product here, well packaged, very sturdy and easy to install.

My install took a couple hours (a competent person should only take about an hour), but I'm completely inept when it comes to this type of task.

The lights are BlingLights BL5000K fog & driving lights with white LED angel eyes. Here they are in their shipping container.

They're very well packaged, neat and tidy, with everything isolated so it wont jostle around.

This pic here, shows the wiring harness, relay, toggle switch and mounting hardware, all nicely tucked away.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To start the install, I decided where I wanted to put the 3 way toggle switch. I couldn't use the factory location right next to the cruise control, because my alarm LED flasher is already installed there, so I figured I'd put it in the cubby just to the left of the steering wheel.

To mount the switch, I Dremeled out a 1/2" x 3/4" rectangle and slipped the toggle in from the front. The most I can say on this part, is be careful. You can see in this pic that my Dremel jumped and left a nice scratch on the cubby face. Otherwise, probably the easiest part of the install.

I then ran the wiring harness through this hole in the firewall. Its located up and to the left of the brake pedal.

here's where its located from the engine compartment... I've used a screwdriver to highlight its location.

The rest of the wiring is very straight forward and explained quite well, in the instructions.
I installed the relay on top of the strut tower. Its temporarily ziptied to the location in the pic, only because I didn't have a proper sized screw. However, the lightweight relay, shouldn't pose a problem for that ziptie. (please forgive the filthyness of my engine compartment)

I also ziptied the fuse to the battery box's handle. This was the only item that I felt would've benefitted from a longer set of wires. Allowing installation near the battery, yet far enough to not be in the way, would be nice.

I fished the foglight wires below the drivers headlight, then ran the passenger side wires along the bumper in front of the radiator. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of this, but its pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To mount the foglights, I utilized Burn619's method, which can be found HERE. The reason being, is that I too have a cold air intake, and wanted to minimize the amount of water entering the filters compartment directly behind the foglight.
Here's a shot of the mount.

The lights are attached using 2 screws. One of which can be easily accessed, but the other required an extra hole being made to the factory foglight "cup". Yet again, I didn't get a shot of that extra hole.
Here you can see the easily accessed screw, and based on the angle of the location on the opposite side, you can imagine the difficulty of reaching the other screw.

Here's a straight on shot, showing the tight quarters for that opposite side. If you look through the headlight opening, you can also see the wires snaked down by the air filter.

Well, the foglights are now installed. Time to reconnect the negative battery cable, reattach the front fascia and turn these babys on! I bought these for the white angel eyes so I tested those first.
by themselves

with the parking lights on....BTW I've cleared my headlights and these are chrome amber bulbs, that's why they look a little darker than factory.

and with the headlights on...you can still see them! I'm currently using Sylvania Extravision, I prefer the Silverstars, but they burn out too often.

side shot.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now to test the fog/driving lights. According to the paperwork, they are 55w H3 bulbs.
by themselves

with the parking lights

and again with the headlights... these suckers are bright!!

Here're 2 shots showing the difference in light output when viewed from the inside the car. The first shot is just headlights and the second is headlights AND fog lights. These pics were taken at ISO 50, f/2.8, with 1/2 second exposures.

The truck in the pic is approximately 50 feet away.

I am quite pleased with the product. For just a couple hours labor, the payoff is huge! Sure there were a couple hiccups along the way, but that's only because of my inexperience. If anypart of this is going to fail, it would be what I've done or added, to complete the install. Not the equipment though, that appears to be bulletproof!
I've wanted more lighting on the Element since the day I bought it, but refused to pay the uber-high prices for the factory fogs. The BlingLights BL5000K give me that extra light without the extra price...with a little flair tacked on as a bonus. I highly recommend these for anyone looking for better vision at night, as well as anyone looking to add a little style to their E. Blinglights offers these same lights in red, green and blue angel eyes, to fit that custom look. White is their newest edition and is the only "legal" option if you live in California, since amber/yellow is the only forward facing color you're allowed.

Hope you enjoyed my write up!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great write up! They look very bright.
Don't worry about the filthy engine bay...mine has 3yrs of dirt roads & snowy mountain passes worth of filth in it and looks very similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Way to go Paul! That looks great!!!! The angel ring really gives these a great look!

I have never compared the angel eye to the factory fog, how different is the wiring? Just an additional line for the LED's? I ask because I have been wanting to add these that you have installed to replace the factory fogs that I have in place now. I'm now wondering if the frame/mounting is very different too.

Nice work.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I got mine a couple months ago and haven't put them in yet. That would involve me having to remove my full brush guard again.
Not looking forward to that just to put fog lights in.
Also, mine didn't come in the factory box from the bling light guys. Styrofoam packing in a card board box and some random packing stuff.
I did however get a hat I'm never going to wear with them.

That reminds me........Blinglights hat for sale. You pay shipping :lol:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up! They look very bright.
Don't worry about the filthy engine bay...mine has 3yrs of dirt roads & snowy mountain passes worth of filth in it and looks very similar to yours.
They are extremely bright...when I finished the install I was tired, hungry, had the beginnings of a migraine...so you could imagine how thrilled I was to be staring directly into these monsters for a couple of pics. :rolleyes:

I have never compared the angel eye to the factory fog, how different is the wiring? Just an additional line for the LED's? I ask because I have been wanting to add these that you have installed to replace the factory fogs that I have in place now. I'm now wondering if the frame/mounting is very different too.
I don't know anything about the factory fogs other than what they cost. But I could assume that the factory fogs can only be turned on when the headlights are on. The Blinglights are completely stand alone, which is a nice feature...just gotta make sure to turn 'em off before you head off to bed.

If you follow the link to Burn619's install you can see the mounting hardware. Basically just U brackets bolted to the car, then the lights have 2 tightening screws for attachment as well as adjustment.

I did however get a hat I'm never going to wear with them.
I got a hat too...except I kinda dig it. Matches the Kicker hat I got from Terrence, the owner of the Kicker Element.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
But I could assume that the factory fogs can only be turned on when the headlights are on. The Blinglights are completely stand alone, which is a nice feature...just gotta make sure to turn 'em off before you head off to bed.
You can take the power lead to the switch from some circut that is "on" only with the key (like the aux power outlet) so that if you shut the motor off the fogs will turn off too.

You can still use 'em whenever/howeber you want (like with out headlights) but you won't have to worry about a dead battery.

·
Registered
478 Posts
debating between the 80 dollar ebay fogs ive seen ppl use or the bling lights..how much is this kit?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great write up and pic post. Love the lights and the comparison pics at night w/ just the headlights and then w/ BOTH- thats a great shot. Really shows how much more light your getting for the $$ and the effort.:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Blinglights sponsor, is the mounting hardware any different in your lights than the factory fogs for the Element? To start from scratch I am aware of the install that other members here have done, but since mine had factory fogs on it when I bought it, I am trying to get some clear information as to whether the blinglights will simply swap, or will this be a full change in mounting hardware, or is the change not possible with already installed factory fogs?

Do you have a diagram of the blinglights mounting instructions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Blinglights sponsor, is the mounting hardware any different in your lights than the factory fogs for the Element? To start from scratch I am aware of the install that other members here have done, but since mine had factory fogs on it when I bought it, I am trying to get some clear information as to whether the blinglights will simply swap, or will this be a full change in mounting hardware, or is the change not possible with already installed factory fogs?

Thanks!
I believe someone here was suppose to make the Mounting Hardware for Blinglights, I don’t know what happen to it and the OE are totally different mounting Brackets, I was thinking the same way for a while because I love the brightness Blinglights offers.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I have some questions:

I think that the mounting plate method is OK, but I don't understand the concern about cutting the facia so closely and fitting the bracket through it from behind. A simple gasket could seal the plate to the facia. Is the tight front facia cut supposed to provide support or motion damping?

Wouldn't it be easier to make the cut fit the entire lamp assembly, attach pan head screws brazed or epoxied in place through the lamp bracket facing backwards, assemble the light to the bracket, and slide the entire unit in place from the front, using nuts to fasten the studs sticking through the mounting plate? This would allow some flexibility in bracket orientation; fender washers could be used between the bracket and plate as shims to adjust horizontal aiming angle.

The last time I had installed fog lights they were damaged by road debris within days. Is there stone guard grille that works with these?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice job Elemen-O-P :cool:

I'm not sure why those lights are actually labled as fog/driving lights when it's quite obvious that they are driving lights. They can't be both a fog and a driving light at the same time.:confused: If I may add a few suggestions about your install,the wiring would of looked so much nicer and more factory like,if you had used some black flex loom. Oh and instead of getting power directly from the battery terminal,you could of added a ring terminal and attached it to the underhood power distribution box. Also,those lights look like a pain to change out the bulbs if/when one blows out,it appears as though they would need to be re-aimed after a simple bulb change.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wouldn't it be easier to make the cut fit the entire lamp assembly, attach pan head screws brazed or epoxied in place through the lamp bracket facing backwards, assemble the light to the bracket, and slide the entire unit in place from the front, using nuts to fasten the studs sticking through the mounting plate? This would allow some flexibility in bracket orientation; fender washers could be used between the bracket and plate as shims to adjust aiming angle.
Not quite following you on this one...'course I'm a VERY visual person... so it could be just me. All I can say, is that I wanted to eliminate water being blown back directly onto my filter. That's why I chose this mounting method. I'm sure there are several options for mounting, but this was tried already by Burn619...if its good enough for him, its good enough for me. :D

I'm not sure why those lights are actually labled as fog/driving lights when it's quite obvious that they are driving lights. They can't be both a fog and a driving light at the same time.:confused:
its what the box says, not my place to dispute the manufacturer..either way they work. :D
if you had used some black flex loom.
I've actually considered this already..just wanted it to be in before I went down and got some. I got a little antsy in the pantsy with these just sitting around the house for a couple weeks.
Also,those lights look like a pain to change out the bulbs if/when one blows out,it appears as though they would need to be re-aimed after a simple bulb change.
changing the bulbs could be a 10 minute job..but that's only because of the recessed mounting screw on the license plate sides of the lights. removing that screw means popping out the top tabs on the front fascia and letting it lean forward to gain access. However, re-aiming the lights is SUPER DUPER easy. Relieving tension on the one accessible screw, allows simple up and down tilting.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Not quite following you on this one...'course I'm a VERY visual person... so it could be just me. All I can say, is that I wanted to eliminate water being blown back directly onto my filter. That's why I chose this mounting method. I'm sure there are several options for mounting, but this was tried already by Burn619...if its good enough for him, its good enough for me. :D
I know it's hard to visualize from my description - I'm also more visual than verbal. I wasn't criticizing your work; it's a nice basic installation that will probably last the life of the Element. While I understand exactly what you did, I'm not sure my manual skills and dexterity are on a par with yours, so I'm looking for a small variation that would satisfy all your objectives and would better suit my abilities.

The original installation method you copied showed the bracket bolted through the plate, and a lot of fiddling with cutting and assembly. I'm nervous about cutting multiple irregular holes and slots in the soft plastic of the facia.

I thought that if the assembled light and bracket could be slid through one larger round opening in the facia, and bolted to the plate, there's less chance of my botching it. I'd like to have the rear of the installation completely sealed, so I thought about using foam strip gasket between the plate and the facia to close off the spaces between the facia mounting studs and the mounting plate. Finally, I'd like the unit to be able to plug in electrically from the front, so I thought about running the wiring though the plate and sealing it with silicone.

This sounds like extra work, but it would be easier for me to do than cutting irregular holes and slots in the facia.

·
EOC Sponsor
60 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, our kit's mounting hardware is definitely different from the factory mounting hardware. Our kit includes universal mounting brackets which require you to fashion a custom mounting solution on your Element. I'm fairly certain that you'll be able to replace your factory fog lamps with our driving lights. Please PM me your email address and I'll forward you some information.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts