Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or did Honda kind of overdo it with the new car smell? The odor is overpowering. I have been airing out the car today and hopefully some of the stench will dissapate...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a hint for you and everyone...hide a bar of your favorite smelling soap somewhare inside the car...This makes for a long lasting air freshner. Also I remember reading somewhare that the "New Car Smell" is bad for you. The smell is accutally the oil in the plastics evaporating and can be poisonous. I do not remember whare I read it...and I do not belive everything I read, but this seams to have some truth behind it...I only get carsick in new cars! Go figure.

·
Registered
540 Posts
New car smell is HORRID. First, it's chemicals off-gassing from plastics, glues and fabrics. These are nasty and toxic. Second, it just stinks.

You might close your car windows with a big pan of activated charcoal in the car.

If you can take a mild natural-based soap and water solution to all the wipe-down surfaces in the interior, that might help it dissipate. Ditto for using a natural based spray cleaner or protectant.

Other than that, I think you're going to have to drive a whole lot with the windows down. I did for the first few days. It was hot but worth it.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Wiping down the surface will not prevent the new car smell. It's not only from the softer plastics, but also from the foam in the seats, the headliner, etc. While mildly offensive, it is not toxic. Just because there are chemicals involved does not mean that there is a danger.

So far as trying to reduce the scent, you could try a box of baking soda, but I doubt it would have a substantial effect. If you can, leave the windows down whenever possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like new car smell. Could I have yours? Actually, I think i am weird in this respect. I also like the smell of hot roofing tar and hot streets after a brief summer shower.

yelapa

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the smell of a new car in the morning....it smells like victory!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm with you guys that like new car smell. I like to try and maintain it as long as possible. Hard to do with the E since I usually have two smelly dogs riding along. Okay not that smelly, but nonetheless, smell like dogs! :?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do to like the smell of a new car... I guess its cuz it means that I have a brand new car and what there is not to like with having a brand new car. I hope it smells like that forever....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the new car smell in my Element is sweet. I want to keep it as long as possible. It is my old '97 Accord that stinks. Hint: Never leave the windows open when it rains.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the new car smell, it is already going away! :cry: But if you want to get rid of it, driving with the windows open works well.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That's what I did and viola, that nasty new car smell is gone...However, according to my wife, I now have another nasty smell to get rid of...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi there,

The smells are the off gasing of everything on & in the car & yes what you are inhaling is toxic. As someone who is sensitive to a variety of chemicals I don't do well with the new car smell but this is what helps me.

Leave the windows open as much as possible.
Freshly ground coffee helps absorb odors.
My favorite is ZeoFresh mesh pouches.

ZeoFresh is a natural mineral that controls odor & moisture. They last for years. To recharge just place in the sun for a day. Puchased them online from a company in NJ. I also use ZeoFresh for the refrigerator, closets & shoes.

I picked up my E on Monday evening. Drove home with the windows open & the first thing I did was place 5 pouches in both the front & back. 3 days later there's hardly any smell. As always YMMV.

Have a fun holiday weekend with your E's

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sweaty horse blankets? They couldn't be any worse than my gym shoes and socks. This Cat has stinky paws! :p

And welcome to the board, SEPP! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love the 'new car smell' myself, but I do agree that the E, with all of it's plastic parts, was nauseatingly strong when I first got it. I had to drive with the windows open for the first few days because the smell gave me a headache.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i got rid of my new car stink by airing out the car everytime i drove, and leaving the sun roof open to let the fumes escape. within a week the smell was gone, BUT i added all weather mats and had to start all over again. fumes from the plastic/rubber!

i highly recommend leaving a window open to anyone who feels that they live in a safe enough area to do this or leave the side vents open. of course, safety is relative since you may not get your car stolen, but you may end up with surprises tossed in your E by kids. I only have gotten the stray leaf or two, but i live in an entirely family community within an area that is heavily patrolled...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts