Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha All,
Karen at Cloud Rider was nice enough to send me a pic of the new hexagon pattern, to go along with the circle and mesh pics she had sent previously.

I'm trying to decide between the hexes and holes myself, but in the pics I can't see much difference.

Would appreciate any opinions.

eKennedy

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have bought the vertical grilles. I am partial to them as the holes just seem to reintroduce the problem of having bugs and crap get in at the radiator and condensor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi EK,I think given the shapes of the E ,especially the headlight configuration,the hexagon grill is a good match.The mesh grill would be great in a high bug area looks like a sifter almost.BTW,can only the bottom piece be purchased?Thanks for the pix!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also am still partial to the slat design I purchased. Seems like the slat design looks more "custom" made for the E. The slots are spaced out with various lengths to fit the shape of the grill area.

The hole designs have a tendency of looking like it started as a large perforated sheet that is then cut to fit the grill size.

When all is done however, Cloud Rider makes the best looking and best quality grill protector line for the E. No matter which one you choose you will be more than pleased with the quality. The hole or slat preference is a personal opinion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
[quote:3dd973b054="isketerol"]I have bought the vertical grilles. I am partial to them as the holes just seem to reintroduce the problem of having bugs and crap get in at the radiator and condensor.[/quote:3dd973b054]

Where did you get the antenna mentioned in your signature? Pics? Links? Comments?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Got it on E-bay. Pictures already online here. No link, kusty have a boo around E-bay. Reception is a bit reduced - I can't get a signal 3 floors down in my work parking garage any longer - I will have a shorter range of reception probably. but not an issue for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like the larger hexagonal holes, less the heater cord hole.

However, the CloudRider nameplate flatspot has to go before I would buy. :roll:

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:6221b0a9bd="Einstein"]I like the larger hexagonal holes, less the heater cord hole.

However, the CloudRider nameplate flatspot has to go before I would buy. :roll:[/quote:6221b0a9bd]

The nameplate is pretty well done however, as is the rest of the grille from Cloud Rider. I looked around at all of the available grilles and found Cloud Riders to be the best, by far. I doubt that they are going to take their own name off of their own grille, so I just accept it. I am not making a show car anyway, so a little name plate ended up being meaningless to me. Slap the old grille on the front and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll take a logo on my polo shirt, but I don't put on nametags unless I'm being paid.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:7b7f79c18a="Einstein"]I'll take a logo on my polo shirt, but I don't put on nametags unless I'm being paid.[/quote:7b7f79c18a]

ha ha. Good one. I always enjoy how we all interpret things differently. I enjoy my grille guard (with or without a tiny logo), but would rather be run over by a trash truck than wear a polo shirt. You must be getting wealthy from the tire manufacturers paying you the monthly royalty for displaying their logos. Anyway: enjoy the E!!

Oh my God. I better call Harley Davidson as I did not get my check today, in payment for the HD logoed license plate frames I have on my E.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently intalled my grilles and found them to be a big disappointment related to quality and the very thin stainless they use. I have included my email to them below and their weak response. They did not justify the reason for the thin metal used and did not answer my questions???? My GENTLE tightening of the cheap plastic topped thumb screws produced slight waves due to the thin metal. Cleaning will be difficult due because any preasure will cave them in. A better gauge stainless and all stainless thumb screws will help justify the top dollar price. My advice....Better to wait for a better product like 700,000 customers should have.....

MY EMAIL TO THEM AND THEIR RESPONSE........

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Recent purchase of your grills for a Honda Element.

I recently purchased your front grill kit for my Honda Element. I was less then impressed with the overall quality of the grills. The Stainless they are made of is very thin and the two F875 flat clips were missing from the parts I received which was a little annoying. Why isn't the material used thicker and more durable? I am sure in time with rock hits to the grills, because they are so thin, they will sustain damage in some way. I have installed the lower grill and would like the F875 flat clips to install the upper grill. Even with gentle hand tightening of the lower grill mounts, they appeared to be a little wavy around the screw caps due to the thin material. I cannot see or think of any reason why you would not use a better or thicker gauge of stainless on this premium priced item. I cannot say that I would recommend your grills due to the very thin stainless you use to make them. For over $100 I would expect something a little more substantial and find them to be a disappointment. I am keeping them only because there is little else available for the Element. Due you have any plans to use a heavier gauge of stainless steel and give your customers a better value for the price you charge? If you intend improve the quality of the grills, I would like mine replaced.
In the mean time, please ship the two missing F875 flat clips.

CLOUD RIDERS RESPONSE:

Richard,

I am very sorry that you are not happy with your purchase.
Yes, the hardware kit missing parts is a frustration for us as well,
and I apologize for the error.
I will arrange for another hardware kit to be send out today.

As to the quality of the Stainless Steel, because a product is heavy is
not always a plus. We manufacturer using the gauge of steel we do for
various reasons, not the least of which is protection for the customer's vehicle.

Our screens are extremly well thought out, designed, produced and excepted
by over 700,000 customers around the world. We put great detail into all the components
of our products from the gauge of steel to the hardware instructions. Please refer to these
hardware instructions again. Over hand tightening of the thumbscrews will produce the
the wavy effect you refer to.

Again, Richard, I am sorry that our screens are not your personal preference.

Karen @ Cloud-Rider

·
Registered
359 Posts
RVDIII:

I have been extremely pleased with my Cloud Rider grill. Little problem securing it, and it looks very very good in place. You don't need to tighten them very much at all. Also, a little Windex on a soft towel cleans it right off, without a problem. Did you try cleaning yours? Sounds like you are assuming they will "cave in". Trust me, they won't as I have cleaned mine a number of times.

What you refer to as cheap plastic caps are actually caps made in plastic to further resist any chance of rusting and scratching the grill under the caps. When stainless is deeply scratched (from bolts etc), it can rust easier. Don't forget that stainless can rust. It just resists rust and stains (stainless is not stain free).

Also, regarding the plastic caps: Certainly anyone owning a Element should know that just because something is plastic, doesn't make it cheap or fragile!!!!

In fact, before I placed my order, I called Cloud Rider to be sure that there was some sort of protection, to stop the mounting screw heads from scratching the stainless grill. When I was told that the screw heads were plastic thumb styles, I was sold.

You are assuming that the grill will dent easily also. I have found them to not dent. No problems at all. Don't forget that they are firmly supported by the underlying Honda cross bars and grill pieces. Plus the steal is very "springy" and resistant to denting. You might not know this since you were unable to even install the entire set. I cannot blame you for being upset about missing mounting brackets. However, you are assuming that there will be a problem, and spreading negitivity based on this assumption.

If you are not happy why not simply return it? Or make your own. There are many threads about things like this. Seriously: you seem to hate the product and price. Send it back and then you have nothing to be concerned about.

I think they did address your points and questions. The end result is that they are telling you that they will not be using thicker stainless. They seemed pretty direct in saying that they have found the materials they use to be the best for the purpose of the grill.

Do you really think that $100 is a lot of money for this two piece set? Yiikes. Seems well priced to me. Stainless steel, high polished, all mounting brackets, made in Canada and including freight all for $115.00 made me very happy.

As a comparison, the single piece plexiglass air deflector, for the hood of an Element, will run you anywhere from $106.00 - $149.00 WITHOUT freight. The pastic, one piece Honda front bumper trim for the E is $210.00 from the Honda dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts