Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the 3rd owner of a 2011 Element EX, it was purchased in 2016 with 49k miles. Since the original purchase date I’ve had it regularly serviced at Metro Honda in NJ.
In 2019 My check engine light came on because of the O2 sensor. I had it replaced no problem. 10 miles later the light was on again, so I called Metro and they said come back and they will fix it. They cleared the light and on my way I went. 5 miles later the light was on for a third time. They cleared it and on my way I went only the issue happen again.
Because of my location I went for inspection and failed. I asked the repair shop to fix the problem and without me know and costly an arm and a leg the replaced the sensor again and it passed but, the joy was short lived as the damn light came on again.
Back at Metro Honda they called tech support and they recommend replacing the entire computer system which will be around $1,500. It’s already cost me $1,200 between the 2 repair shops to fix the problem.
I’m in desperate need of help with this issue. The vehicle only has 72k miles and repairs are becoming costly with no clear sign of a guarantee.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would think it very unlikely you need a new ECM (computer). Honda electronics are very robust. It sounds like the shops are just reading a code and throwing parts instead of performing an actual diagnosis.

I don't understand how replacement of an O2 sensor two times can cost $1200. I must be missing something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had this same Problem!!!I bought my E with 92k miles on it and the lady said it was never in a wreck & the car looked amazing. I couldn't pull up carfax because I was up in the mountains and I didn't get a signal on my phone so I just pulled the trigger and got it. Driving home the check engine light came on and as soon as I got home I ran the scanner and it said down stream o2 sensor. I was like thats no big deal so I took it to the shop and they threw one in for $250. Driving home from the shop it came on AGAIN!! Same code!! So I took it back to the shop and come to find out she got into a front end wreck (not major) but whoever she had fix the car messed up the wiring on it and it fried my ECU. so I had to get a new ECU and another o2 Sensor now it works perfect. So that being said it is probably something with the ECU because there really is not much to the system itself. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
I just went ahead and decided to get a new ECU. They said that it becomes a process of elimination at this point.
I’ll have to wait and see at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think it very unlikely you need a new ECM (computer). Honda electronics are very robust. It sounds like the shops are just reading a code and throwing parts instead of performing an actual diagnosis.

I don't understand how replacement of an O2 sensor two times can cost $1200. I must be missing something.
The sensor was not much but the hourly service was way more than I was expecting! I guess at the dealership they charge $125 an hour. The second replacement was what really over charged me saying that it took 6hrs to fix!

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah you never know what kind of repair/hack jobs previous owners did to the car lol... I found out the hard way. Oh and on top of that she had a illegal catalytic converter on it to. So I had to replace all of it before I could pass smog out here in Cali... I was not a happy camper. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi,
I'm not trying to be an AH, but...

You guys might want to spend $100 on a real Honda Service Manual...

And see if you can troubleshoot and do some of these things yourself.

I personally can't afford to pay someone $125 an hour to work on my car?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element Ex
16 Posts
If I was you I would go anywhere but Metro Honda, they gave me an utterly ridiculous $5k quote for valve adjustment, brakes, condensor fan and a few other things.

I ended up going to a guy down near Middletown recommended by my cousin.

Cost me less than half with some additional stuff I decided to have him do since the prices were reasonable.

I have a mechanic that was recommended to me in JC but I haven't personally used them yet:

Newark Auto Body & Service
589 Ferry St, Newark, NJ 07105
(973) 589-3135

1 - 8 of 8 Posts