Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up a dog this weekend. His parents already had 2 cats and another dog and they were about to have a baby and they didn't feel like they could care for all of their animals and a new baby. As a result, they gave their 2 year old mini-dachshund to my wife and I. As some of you know, we already have a one year old mini and we thought that they would get along great.

Well we picked him up this morning and our lives have not been the same since. He was fine for the first hour or two and then I think he realized that he was not going to be going home and he started panicing. He has been terrorizing our puppy and crying extremely loud the entire time. The worst was when my mother in law pulled up in her xB and locked the car. Joey (the new dog) absolutely flipped out because his parents had the same make and color and ever since he heard that horn honk, he has been inconsolable.

He has made our dog uncomfortable in his own house to the point where he is just running for cover and he has cried in our ears for the last 6 hours. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. I want to just call and see if his family will take him back. He misses them so much and everytime he cries, my heart breaks because I feel like I took someone's pet. :-(

·
Registered
304 Posts
He misses them so much and everytime he cries, my heart breaks because I feel like I took someone's pet. :-(

It always takes time for a pet to adjust - definitely more than a 1/2 day. Just imagine bringing a new baby home from the hospital - they cry when they need something and when they're in distress. I would separate the two dogs for now. Put one in a bedroom and let the other one out for a while with the family and then swap them out. Have at least one person spend all the time you can with the new one so he knows he's still loved. Hopefully, he'll bond to that person. Feed them separately so there are no food issues. After a few days, try introducing them again - down the street and off they're own "territory". Then bring both of them back to the house.

Dogs change loyalty pretty easily when they learn who is taking care of them. We always recommend giving it at least two weeks before making any rash decisions. You may be surprised and find the dogs become really good friends.

Post pictures and keep us updated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agree with the previous poster...some pets need to be eased into the newness of a situation, some just bounce right in like they have been there their whole lives. Dach's are not known to be dogs that adjust to change easily, and tend to attach very strongly to their people. You just need to give him time to make YOU his people.

New people, new home, new schedule, new toys, perhaps new food and new dishes, even a new playmate...that's a lot for a dog to cope with, especially all at once. Separate them. Ignore his crazy behaviour instead of trying to appease or comfort him. When people drop off anxious dogs at my grooming shop, they often do this high pitched "there there, it's ok, it's ok" thing in an attempt to comfort their pets. All the dog hears is "stressed out voice! Upset owner! I have reason to be worried!" and react accordingly. YOU set the scene for him emotionally. If you are stressed, worried about him adjusting, doubting your decision...he is 100% picking up those emotions and feeding off of them.

When he howls and whines...ignore him. If he can't play nicely with the other dog, then he cannot be around the other dog until he can. When he stops the stressful antics and cuddles, plays, or does anything that is NOT howling and whining...praise the heck out of him. The rule of thumb is to praise the behaviour you want and ignore the behaviour you don't want. That is the kind of language dogs understand.

And just give him time. Giving him back to his owners or placing him in yet another home will only confuse him at this point and create behaviour problems that will be a lot harder to fix.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. We have tried to separate them which means me sleeping in the basement with the new dog and my wife sleeping upstairs with our other pup. I have been taking care of Joey while she takes care of Cooper and it kind of sucks being separated from my wife and my dog. I just hate spending my entire night in the basement with a crying dog that peed all over the bed while my wife is upstairs with our other dog who is missing me too :-(

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Give it some time, it i always an adjustment bringing in a new dog
our 2nd (Patch) was extremely nervous when we brought him home - kept running between the front door and back door, etc.
To keep the pup from peeing on the bed in the basement you might try a kennel/cage - it helps some dogs feel secure

Good luck and keep us informed - post pictures when you get a chance

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any way to keep the new dog from humping our other dog? haha

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
remember that you now have 2 dogs and they are yours. Dogs can pick this up too if there is a little bit of hostile feelings toward the dog they can read that too.

Mom has my dog and well now every time she goes on the thruway she gets nervous that she is not going to be with my mom and her other half. Loves to see me but is afraid that she will be left, and she is almost 9 yo.

This will work out, I do recommend the crate.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Crate training offers his own personal space, might want to do that for both dogs, if you existing dog would like some private space. His own get away so to speak.

Remember you're Alpha, not one of the dogs.

Hugs and patience with both as well.
Good Luck,
jurn

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE!

Well things are going much better. We have started treating the new dog like a puppy (always on a leash, gated in the kitchen or in the basement, and taken potty a few times an hour when we are home). The whining has started to decrease and we are working on his manners. The dogs are playing again (maybe too much, haha) and they seem to be enjoying each other's company. I slept with the new dog in the basement again, but this time he was in his crate and I was on the couch. He whined a couple times and I just shooshed him and he stopped immediately. I think I may sleep down there a few more nights and then eventually move back upstairs.

We also took him to a doggy social hour at the local rescue last night. It is just a playtime for smaller dogs. There is a large open room with a number of agility items for the dogs to run around but most of the dogs just chase and wrestle; there were probably about 30 dogs there. Joey (the new pup) is shy, but didn't mind having other dogs sniff him or chase him. Cooper on the other hand is a clown and had about 10 dogs chasing him around the agility equipment all night.

Thanks to all for the positive remarks and advice. Things are going much better and I think will continue to improve.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The first couple of weeks with a new dog in the house when you already have one can be pretty crazy. Socializing is a huge part of dog ownership and I can say a lot of owners (around here) don't do it.
We wish you continued success and keep posting updates

·
Registered
127 Posts
We just picked up a dog this weekend. His parents already had 2 cats and another dog and they were about to have a baby and they didn't feel like they could care for all of their animals and a new baby. As a result, they gave their 2 year old mini-dachshund to my wife and I. As some of you know, we already have a one year old mini and we thought that they would get along great.

Well we picked him up this morning and our lives have not been the same since. He was fine for the first hour or two and then I think he realized that he was not going to be going home and he started panicing. He has been terrorizing our puppy and crying extremely loud the entire time. The worst was when my mother in law pulled up in her xB and locked the car. Joey (the new dog) absolutely flipped out because his parents had the same make and color and ever since he heard that horn honk, he has been inconsolable.

He has made our dog uncomfortable in his own house to the point where he is just running for cover and he has cried in our ears for the last 6 hours. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. I want to just call and see if his family will take him back. He misses them so much and everytime he cries, my heart breaks because I feel like I took someone's pet. :-(
I guess you'll just have to ask the mother-in-law not to visit your home ever again.... awwwww;-)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess you'll just have to ask the mother-in-law not to visit your home ever again.... awwwww;-)
Nope, apparently she stopped by yesterday and he was fine. Plus, my MIL does so much for us that I can't imagine if she wasn't around. She actually brought us a nice dinner on Monday since she knew we were so stressed out about Joey.

He is just doing awesome now. No accidents yesterday and he slept so soundly in his crate. I did stay on the couch in the basement next to his crate again, but I think that may have been the last night that I need to do that. From now on he will be just fine by himself.

One concern we do have is that Cooper (our 1 year old puppy) loves to play with Joey, but he bites him a lot. He will grab Joey's leg or ears and tug pretty hard when they are playing. Is this something to worry about?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts