Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there... just bought a 2008 ECamper

Wondering if anyone has any advice or great places to camp around the Northwest area.

I know the last owner was on these boards at times, but not sure how often :)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Welcome to the EOC and E-dom. :)

What state in the Northwest?

Pick a region -- mountains or coast, for instance. Oregon has some spectacular state parks.

Being from Hood River, I'm also fond of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, particularly Walupt Lake campground:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/campgrounds/sites/walupt-lake.shtml

Am also a huge fan of the Metolius River area near Sisters, Oregon. The beauty and sound of that crystal clear river is mesmerizing.

http://www.hoodoo.com/Deschutes_National_Forest/Metolius_River_Area.htm

There are many avid E-campers in the PNW who I'm sure will chime in as they can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hiker Chick... I'm around the Seattle area, so anything in the PNW is good for me :)

Here's pictures of Stitch (I already picked out a name.. is that weird?)

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
A 2008 with DX wheels!

I just getting ready for a 3 night trip, just as a winter like storm set to come through. So I'm looking at the NOAA weather forecasts in one window, and campground info in another. Given the weather I'll probably cross to the east side of the Washington mountains, though it is tempting to try the Oregon high desert.

For camping close to Seattle, especially in the fall, winter, and spring, the state parks are the best choice. For summer weekends you either need reservations, or the ability to arrive early to claim the few non-reserved sites. In the mountains, the forest service provides the most options. But you also have to pay attention to opening dates, which depend on snow conditions.

You are close enough to include British Columbia in your planning, at least for weeklong trips.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Get yourself a map atlas for Washington (and Oregon). I prefer Benchmark over Delourme, mainly because most roads standout better against the background. In BC the corresponding books are called Backroads Mapbook.

Each FS district has its own web site. The most relevant pages are Current Conditions and Recreational Opportunities.

For example, roads closest to Seattle are described at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/road-trail-conditions.shtml#roads

and camping at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/recreation/camping.shtml
Hoodoo operates many of the FS campgrounds in the NW
http://www.hoodoo.com/mbs_page.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, so much information so far guys... thanks so much!

I'll try to get pictures of the inside set up, but that will probably have to wait till next week unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wow, so much information so far guys... thanks so much!

I'll try to get pictures of the inside set up, but that will probably have to wait till next week unfortunately.
We'll be waiting

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi and welcome to the E.O.C. I like to camp at the potholes. But I don't have a fancy element. when amya gets back in town I'm sure she would welcome you to her place near euphrata.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hi there... just bought a 2008 ECamper

Wondering if anyone has any advice or great places to camp around the Northwest area.

I know the last owner was on these boards at times, but not sure how often :)
You are VERY fortunate to be the steward of an E-camper....

Diid you buy it or have it done by Ursa Minor?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been looking for an already converted ECamper for a couple months and was planning on waiting until one near the area was on sale to check it out and maybe buy one.. wasn't exactly planning on one coming on the market 2 months into my search LOL.

So it was already converted, yay! I asked Ursa Minor how many of them are converted.. and they said 90 as of yesterday :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
your e-camper looks awesome. did you buy that from a guy on here? i've seen pics of one like it, but i guess there are probably more than one in existence.

i hope you have lots of fun with it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hook up with Junebug. She is south of Seattle and does lots of camping. She also is a great cook and comes up with some great food ideas

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep .. your welcome to come out to my property anytime. Just give me an excuse to go over there. LOL I just spent 4 days camping with my 82 yr. old Mother .... getting ready to drive her back to NY (leaving Tuesday) I'll be ready to have some fun when I get back !!!
If you look at old posts I think there are some pictures. I'll let everyone know when I'm back.
Amy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Now your talkin'. Camping in the PNW are my favorite memories. (1) You can't beat the Olympic National Forest in the spring before family vacation time. My family once had an entire shelter complete with fireplace to ourselves. Backed the tent trailer right up to it. (2) The Okanogan Valley right up to Kelowna, BC. You have some of the best of God's Great Earth all around you. I often wonder; What am I doing in Indiana!?!?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Last Wednesday a strong winter-like storm rolled into the PNW, bringing wind, heavy rains, some snow in the mountains, and showers throughout the area. Since we had a 4 day window to do some camping, I was scanning the weather forecasts, trying to find a place to go where we wouldn't get rained out. I ended up choosing northern Oregon.

The drive south to Portland on Thursday passed through a couple of heavy rain storms. Then we headed east along the Columbia Gorge, taking the scenic hwy 30 past a dozen (or so) waterfalls. We camped at Ainsworth SP, just east of Multnomah Falls. This is still in the coastal wet zone. Sleeping in the Element is snug and dry, but a good tarp over the picnic table was essential. Most of the other campers at this no-reservation state park were in RVs.

The next day I drove over to the dryer east side of the Cascades, via the east slope of Mt Hood (hwy 35 and US26). There was some fresh snow on the trees, and slushy rain at higher elevations. We camped a Cove Palisades SP, among sage brush and junipers. Given the weather and time (week before Memorial Day) there were plenty of sites available without reservation. I'm sure that on summer weekends this park is full. As it was the area closest to the playground was busy with kids. Our site was on the edge, closer to the enclosed 'pet exercise area'.

I put the tarp up (a MSR Vistawing), as much to dry it out as anything else. I added a second smaller tarp to act as a wind screen. There were dark clouds in the distance, but only a light sprinkle at the park.

The next day I intended to wander back north to Washington, but first wanted to explore a bit to the east of US97. The road from Madras to Ashworth turned out to be a native-surface ranch road, the kind of surface that turned slick with wet. Fortunately I only had to deal with some dry ruts. Ashworth to Antelope was a bit better, tending to stay on the ridge tops for much of the way. We passed the turn off to Muddy Rd, the site of an infamous guru's ranch in the 1980s.

Since I'd already seen Shaniko and US97 north to the Columbia, I turned east on 218 to Fossil, passing one of the John Day Fossil beds units. Since it was 5pm when we got to Fossil (county seat for Wheeler County, population 3000), and Marymore CG on the Columbia River was still an hour away, I chose to drive 11 miles SE to Shelton Wayside Cty Park. That is listed as a State Wayside in my Delourme Atlas, but is actually operated by the county. We had the campground to ourselves. This is open Ponderosa pine forest. At bed time it was 40 deg, and 32 at breakfast.

Still in the wandering frame of mind, I continued south on 19 to 207, which follows the John Day river for a ways, and then crosses a 4600ft pass to the wheat fields around Heppner and on to Umatilla and I82. The rest of the drive as fast interstate (I82 and I90). We passed through brief intense rainstorm on the ridge crossing between Yakima and Ellensburg.

So we had 3 very different campsites, the wet coastal forest, dry juniper forest on a reservoir, and remote pine forest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow.. sounds like a fun time Paul!!! I'll definitely be getting out there this summer! Might even take it camping the first weekend in June! YAY!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts