Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought a 2007 Element EX and loves it. The only thing her and I don't like is the sunroof opening for we are concerned about UV light fading the interior as well as heat issues. Does Honda make an OEM sunroof cover and if so P/N? The salesman did show us in the accessories a mesh sun screen but I don't think that is it. Also I did look in the DIY and liked a few homemade ones we saw but we kinda want something OEM. Thanks

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, James.earnhardt. No OEM cover AFAIK, but there are aftermarket covers that you can trim to fit.

Many owners have had their skylights tinted to various levels of darkness. Some swear by the Hüper Optik brand.

I use Reflectix to block mine completely. It's affixed with Velcro (in at least nine spots, as the Reflectix tends to sag) so can be removed easily. Reflectix also helps a little to retain heat in the winter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Isn't the factory tint sufficient enough for blocking out the bad stuff?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked, skylight is not tinted but if so a very light tint, hard to tell. Just strange Honda made the skylight w/o a factory sliding cover or a separate cover to clip in. Looks like it's time to get creative.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Some of us have the sunshade DOODELEMENT created and is being sold here at the EOC Store.

Link to DOODELEMENT's Sunshade at the EOC Store

I have had mine since the fall of 06 and it has been the perfect solution for me. It goes on easy. It stays on. And it packs away neatly. I roll mine up and stick it at the bottom of the left side rear window using it's suction cups.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some of us have the sunshade DOODELEMENT created and is being sold here at the EOC Store.

I have had mine since the fall of 06 and it has been the perfect solution for me. It goes on easy. It stays on. And it packs away neatly. I roll mine up and stick it at the bottom of the left side rear window using it's suction cups.
Good info - thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
My wife bought a 2007 Element EX and loves it. The only thing her and I don't like is the sunroof opening for we are concerned about UV light fading the interior as well as heat issues. Does Honda make an OEM sunroof cover and if so P/N? The salesman did show us in the accessories a mesh sun screen but I don't think that is it. Also I did look in the DIY and liked a few homemade ones we saw but we kinda want something OEM. Thanks
Yes, I bought one of the Doodelement sunshades last summer and it's great. I forget most of the time that it's there-does what it's supposed to!

·
Registered
20 Posts

i just bought a few $8 and $6 dollar windsheild shades yesterday
the $8 is long enough to cover from the front of the rear door all the way to the back with slack
i am covering all the windows using suction cups for $40
so $39 seems way too steep just to cover the sunroof

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the $8 is long enough to cover from the front of the rear door all the way to the back with slack
DOODELEMENT's sunshade at $39 may seem steep for others but for me it is not.

The shade is professionally assembled. The materials are lightweight, sturdy and perform very well in regulating temperature. Mine has taken a lot of abuse over the years and yet it is still as good as when I bought it - with the exception of a small spot that has a sticky residue from something that had soft glue exposed. That reminds me, I need to clean that up.

They are custom fit. The picture he has at the store page does not really show how well it fits, but it fits very well. So well in fact, that you do not notice it is up there and sometimes forget about it.

I am also lazy and would buy something as long as it is well made and fits my requirements and budget rather than make my own.

If you're handy and would rather make your own, then DOODELEMENT's sunshade is not for you and will, as you said, not be cost effective. For someone like me however, $39 is a great deal.

·
12,180 Posts

I bought some foam craft board at my local craft store for $4 and cut it to fit. Add a couple suction cups to hold it in place all for less than $10.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Volvo V70 with a sunroof before the Element and my transition lenses would not get dark through the windshield or holding them up to the skylight. They would get dark if I took them off and held them to the side windows. Windshields and sunroofs block UV rays, side windows usually do not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts