Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota has allegedly listened to a mix of Element and FJ Cruiser drivers to come up with their next vehicle. The Toyota TJ Cruiser. It'll look almost exactly like the element, and have a hybrid motor available for higher gas mileage. Also an Awd version...
Thoughts? 馃槻

Registered
IMHO, that thing is ugly beyond belief! My first glance at the photo made me think: YUCK! A face like that, not even it's mother could love it!

But I suppose the comparisons to the Element will be inevitable! : - (

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I hate the forward opening hood. Other than that I thought it was pretty neat and a neat comparison vehicle. Toyota has another one that'll probably come out even sooner in the US market called the FT 4X. It's pretty neat too.
Plus I love how Toyota is kinda trolling Honda. "You won't make your fans more box cars? That's ok, we'll do it for you." 馃ぃ

Registered
Kinda looks like the baby Hummer H3 but fuglier. Rather have the FT-4X for sure. But both of these Toyotas don't look like they have the versatility and capacity the Element has.

Registered
I think it's kinda cool, but way to short! I love being able to stand on my knees in the Element while camping to change clothes or whatever. This looks more like an attempt to recreate their old scion box (B maybe?). Either way, I love my E, and there's nothing out there I'd trade for it. I'd like to beef mine up a bit, but have analysis paralysis from all the exquisite content on this site! Appreciate all of you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I actually found my ideal element and got it a couple weeks ago. A 2008 EX AWD. It had almost Every* accessory. Floor mats, cargo cover, rear spoiler, hood bug deflector, center console armrest, running boards.. the only thing missing was the oem seat covers. Even at that, the seat had tiny tears instead of gaping chasms. The owner even gave me his custom built sleeping platform for the back.
Overall, I'm Very happy, now debating selling my 2009 LX that's in great condition. I think I'll be sticking with my E as long as possible. I'd love to keep it going to 500k miles. 馃榿
These Toyota concepts are cool, but I agree. Not as good as the element. I feel I'd only trade mine in if they rerelease the E with the same specs, awd, and rear sunroof.

Registered
I like the hybrid engine. Would have to see it in person. Go in it. Feel it. I have the 2008 EX AWD. Best car ever. I would only entertain TJ if my 08 was too expensive to fix. I wonder if the TJ oil filter is easier to change.

Registered
Toyota has allegedly listened to a mix of Element and FJ Cruiser drivers to come up with their next vehicle. The Toyota TJ Cruiser. It'll look almost exactly like the element, and have a hybrid motor available for higher gas mileage. Also an Awd version...
Thoughts? 馃槻
bring it on! agree that if honda is not going to make the elment, then other companies should make boxy, versatile element-like vehicles. its good news.

Registered
The only problem I have with it is that it's based on the idea that consumers want something that looks more like an Element than actually has the highly adaptable nature of an Element. I need a multipurpose vehicle - not a poser.

On the other hand, I've come to realize how much better Toyota engineering is than Honda so I'll keep watching them. For a truly multiple-purpose utility vehicle, they show a concept called the U-Squared just before they showed the FT Cruiser concept that I'd actually be more interested in than a new Element. Toyota decided, unfortunately, to produce the FT instead. (sigh)

Registered
there clearly seems to be an demand for boxy utility vehicles. just look at this forum.

to me, honda tried to make the element more mainstream instead of more niche. this is a niche market, but one that should sustain a well-designed vehicle for a decade(s) of production and signfiicant sales.

Registered
Only had my E (06 EX AWD)for a few weeks now. I love it! Even my wife likes it. The horrible mpg is my only gripe its the lowest in our stable (except my work truck)but i got it cheap so not complaining too loud.

Registered
Only had my E (06 EX AWD)for a few weeks now. I love it! Even my wife likes it. The horrible mpg is my only gripe its the lowest in our stable (except my work truck)but i got it cheap so not complaining too loud.
How horrible is your MPG? Give us some numbers.

Also, check out the entire section on this site dedicated to fuel economy.

Registered
there clearly seems to be an demand for boxy utility vehicles. just look at this forum.

to me, honda tried to make the element more mainstream instead of more niche. this is a niche market, but one that should sustain a well-designed vehicle for a decade(s) of production and signfiicant sales.
You are correct that Honda slowly made the Element more mainstream over the years it was in production.

In the beginning (2003) the target audience was 20's and 30's types. Just one look at the brighter paint colors offered at first should confirm that!

But, as the amount of competing vehicles increased, and with the economy slowly getting weaker (~ 2008 - 2011), Honda found that it was us aging Baby Boomers who were then buying Elements. Hence the more subdued colors available on the later models; which they figured was what the 50's and 60's types wanted. (Mistake!) Even with the SC model being made available starting in 2007, was an attempt at making the Element a bit more mainstream, with the carpeted interior and such.

But Honda forgot one thing: the old adage "You can sell a young mans car to an old man; but you can't sell an old mans car to a young man!"

But now with the economy greatly improved, I believe if Honda made a new & improved Element, it would sell very well for them! : - )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts