Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Does a new Element need to be "Broken In" ? and,if so, what does this mean or entail ??

Thanks
Put three fully grown Saint Bernards in the back and drive 1,000 miles and it will be well broken in.... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was actually serious :) .... Arent you supposed to drive under a certain MPH for the first so many miles ?

Im in process to buy new one but when I went to pick up it had scratches on it...now they are driving it at highway speeds (i assume) back and forth to bodyshop 40 miles away ! I refused to complete transaction till scratch is repaired but now having bad feelings about whole deal....scratches and also being driven so many miles by people that probably dont care at all how they drive it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I was actually serious :) .... Arent you supposed to drive under a certain MPH for the first so many miles ?

Im in process to buy new one but when I went to pick up it had scratches on it...now they are driving it at highway speeds (i assume) back and forth to bodyshop 40 miles away ! I refused to complete transaction till scratch is repaired but now having bad feelings about whole deal....scratches and also being driven so many miles by people that probably dont care at all how they drive it.
Modern cars do not need to be broken in with a lengthy and detailed procedure. Drive gently and do not beat the carp out of it for the first 500 to 1,000 miles and you are all fine. If the body shop people drive 'normal', then you will not have to worry...

....oh, yeah, --- don't forget the stogy and the three Saints... :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
You do not need to do anything to break it in... The engine does this naturally. The reciprocating parts of the engine will self-polish and this takes place over the first 5,000 miles or so.

My engine showed gasoline in the [oil] at 4,800 miles, and was non-esistant after 7,800 miles. Somewhere between thos two mileposts, the engine seated" its rings and acheived polished surfaces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts