Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New Element Owner, new to the community as well. I'm a bit old 60+, but this Element really suits me. I like to backpack, cycle, camp, hang at the beach, etc. I've hiked the John Muir Trail a few times. And I completed a cycling challenge of One Million Vertical Feet in a year. I'm just saying that I enjoy being outdoors and having fun enjoying nature.

This is my first Element and found it a difficult decision which one to buy, what year, 2wd vs 4wd, sunroof vs no sunroof, seatbelts on the door vs on the seat, 4 speed auto vs 5, or manual... in the end I tried to buy the newest Element with the lowest mileage that I could afford. Ended up with a one owner, 2011 Ex 4WD Auto with 69,000 miles. It's has a few scrapes and bumps but overall it is pretty nice.

I have a question though, I'm unable to determine what this button is or what it does. Does anyone have a clue? Wires come out from under the fuse box panel, but the wires don't appear to go directly to the fuse box. One wire is Black, one wire is Brown, and the third wire appears to be Pink? I've included some pictures.

I've pressed the button a few times but I can't detect it doing anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks everyone! I love my Element!

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
148 Posts
Nice find on the clean looking and low mileage E!

The thingy you're looking at is the optional dealer-installed "Karr" security system. The key fob should've came with the car unless the PO just threw them away. They can be tricky to program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find on the clean looking and low mileage E!

The thingy you're looking at is the optional dealer-installed "Karr" security system. The key fob should've came with the car unless the PO just threw them away. They can be tricky to program.
Well huh, what'ya know about that, ha! I had asked the PO about the button but he simply said, "I don't know what that is, it came with the car and I never asked about it." Now that you mention the Karr security system, there are stickers on the windows that say, "Karr" security system. I have two of the original Honda Element key fobs. Are you saying there should be an additional key fob, a Karr key fob, or that I use the original key fobs set the security system? I'll have to do some research and figure things out. Thank you for the info, I feel a bit better now.

I find myself staring at other Elements now almost like a stalker. I'm so curious how others have their E's set up. haha

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
148 Posts
Yeah, there should be another "Karr" key fob unless the PO just threw them away and forgot about it over the years.

I've found myself doing the same with other Elements. Saw one recently, where I just KNEW they converted into a micro-camper and caught myself walking towards it. hahah...I wanted to peak inside and see how they set it up but my wife pulled me away. I mean it was the middle of the day, they couldn't possibly be sleeping inside!

Reactions: Fitwise

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also catch myself giving other people’s elements the twice over looking for how they are set up. On the subject of security systems, did 03 ex come with remote entry? I got no fobs with the E that I inherited from my pops. I kinda remember him having them and having issues. I thought he said that he had the system disabled. Being as the drivers door lock no longer works from the key it would be nice to have remote capability. I would rather have a factory system than aftermarket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also catch myself giving other people’s elements the twice over looking for how they are set up. On the subject of security systems, did 03 ex come with remote entry? I got no fobs with the E that I inherited from my pops. I kinda remember him having them and having issues. I thought he said that he had the system disabled. Being as the drivers door lock no longer works from the key it would be nice to have remote capability. I would rather have a factory system than aftermarket.
The remote key fobs came as a dealer option. I have a 03 ex too and I took it to the dealer and they installed the factory receiver along with two fobs, cost me 800$ if I remember correctly. Pricey but I also couldn’t lock/unlock my doors 100% of the time because the door key hole was messed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts