Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi EOC community!

I recently purchased a 2010 Element EX w/ 81k. I'm a newbie to the scene, but have liked these vehicles for a while. Excited about my purchase and loving it so far. Seems to be in great condition and it looks like the previous owner maintained it well(based on the pile of receipts I found in the glove box.) Just looking for advice, or what to expect from my Element... Any quirks, avoidable problems, potential upcoming problems to expect, etc...

Any help, advice, and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
687 Posts
Welcome aboard.

The search function on this site is your best friend. Just about anything you would want to know about your Element has already been discussed at length here already.

And it's great that you got good maintenance records. At 81K miles, aside from the usual wear items (like tires, brakes, battery, serpentine belt, etc.) you should be good to go for quite a while. It should have had its transmission fluid changed by now; if not you ought to do that soon. Otherwise the next big maintenance issue would be your Valve Adjustment, which should be done after ~ 100K miles.

Otherwise, check your negative battery cable on the end opposite the battery where it bolts to the engine/trans. If you see corrosion there (a common problem) replace it right away.

Use a high grade synthetic engine oil, and a high grade oil filter as well. (I like the Wix 57356.) And ignore the long oil change maintenance interval in the owners manual. 5K miles between oil changes is the absolute outer limit, even more often (like 3 - 4K miles) if you live in dusty conditions. Trying to go too far between oil changes (like the 10K listed in the manual) is just begging for trouble down the road with your VTEC system; and you don't want that!

That's about it! Drive and enjoy your new Element!

Show us some pictures of your new ride when you get a chance! : - )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard.

The search function on this site is your best friend. Just about anything you would want to know about your Element has already been discussed at length here already.

And it's great that you got good maintenance records. At 81K miles, aside from the usual wear items (like tires, brakes, battery, serpentine belt, etc.) you should be good to go for quite a while. It should have had its transmission fluid changed by now; if not you ought to do that soon. Otherwise the next big maintenance issue would be your Valve Adjustment, which should be done after ~ 100K miles.

Otherwise, check your negative battery cable on the end opposite the battery where it bolts to the engine/trans. If you see corrosion there (a common problem) replace it right away.

Use a high grade synthetic engine oil, and a high grade oil filter as well. (I like the Wix 57356.) And ignore the long oil change maintenance interval in the owners manual. 5K miles between oil changes is the absolute outer limit, even more often (like 3 - 4K miles) if you live in dusty conditions. Trying to go too far between oil changes (like the 10K listed in the manual) is just begging for trouble down the road with your VTEC system; and you don't want that!

That's about it! Drive and enjoy your new Element!

Show us some pictures of your new ride when you get a chance! : - )
Thank you for the welcome and the insight!

Tires are in great shape, brakes were done by the dealership recently. Battery seems to be good, but I'll test it to make sure it'll hold up through the winter. Belts seem to be fine. No squealing, steering difficulty, etc...

According to the records I have, the transmission fluid was done at ~54k. I'm finding varying opinions on how often to change it. What do you recommend? I'll throw the Valve Adjustment on my schedule and be sure to check for corrosion on the engine/trans bolt!

Most of the receipts were for oil changes, so I'll go through those again and see how often the previous owner was changing the oil. Hopefully not letting it go 10k! I'm in the northeast(and begging for a snow storm soon, so I can put the E to the true test,) so not too dusty, but definitely have to be mindful of the salt. Luckily, the previous owner(also in the northeast) seemed to take it to the car wash often since it's still very clean underneath.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you for the welcome and the insight!

Tires are in great shape, brakes were done by the dealership recently. Battery seems to be good, but I'll test it to make sure it'll hold up through the winter. Belts seem to be fine. No squealing, steering difficulty, etc...

According to the records I have, the transmission fluid was done at ~54k. I'm finding varying opinions on how often to change it. What do you recommend? I'll throw the Valve Adjustment on my schedule and be sure to check for corrosion on the engine/trans bolt!

Most of the receipts were for oil changes, so I'll go through those again and see how often the previous owner was changing the oil. Hopefully not letting it go 10k! I'm in the northeast(and begging for a snow storm soon, so I can put the E to the true test,) so not too dusty, but definitely have to be mindful of the salt. Luckily, the previous owner(also in the northeast) seemed to take it to the car wash often since it's still very clean underneath.

View attachment 202801
That is one nice looking Element! : - )

Transmission fluid changes I think are recommended at 30K mile intervals. If the fluid is getting funky looking, there is this fill and drain 3 times process that works well; do a search on this site.

As to the engine oil: Here in FL it is very dusty conditions. You may get away with a little longer than 5K intervals where you live. But, do a search on code P2646, which is a VTEC system code. It many times is related to too long of an interval between oil changes. It is rather hard to diagnose just where the problem lies, and is the cause of a whole lot of grief for Element owners! (My self included!) : - (

Better to do simple oil changes more often than to potentially deal with that problem!

BTW, if you want to DIY your oil changes, the oil filter is pretty well hidden. It's easiest jack up the right front, remove the right front wheel, and reach into the little opening in the fender well to get at the oil filter. And don't over tighten the new one, or you'll have a rough time getting it off the next time!

Snow? I remember the stuff! Seen enough of that for one lifetime from the days when I lived in the Chicago area! But, I've been in SW Florida for 33 years now; so snow is a distant memory! : - )

·
Registered
687 Posts
As they say, speak of the devil...............

I no sooner got finished with writing to you about this, then someone with a VTEC and P2646 code problem posted here asking for help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts