Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally added an Element to our happy Honda family, a big brother to our trusty little 98 civic hatchback! 2003 EX 4WD, sunset orange, with 280K km/180K miles from a reputable local dealership who put some money into some repairs before listing. Have moved tons of stuff in it, and love loading it up at work and showing off all of the attachment points inside etc. Can't wait to take it camping in the next few weeks.

Added so far:
-Cheesy orange seat covers off of amazon, refashioned so that headrest sits proud, rather than shrouded; will post pics.
-Rain guards on front and rear windows
-Yakima roof rack (Skyline towers with 60" JetStream crossbars) after much debating about a DIY set-up; our kayaks are worth more than the vehicle, so seemed a prudent way to go.
-2nd programmed key
-New front tires (matched to rear tires, which had little wear). Bridgestone Ecopias; not have my first choice, but didn't feel like shelling 900$ for a set of four Nokian WRX's

Next on the list:
-303 the plastic panels
-Make inside mount for carrying roof rack cross bars without leaving them mounted on roof all of the time as I'm obsessed with my gas mileage. Most of my driving is in stop and go traffic. Still not use to the fuel consumption VS. Civic. Getting about 18-19MPG in the city, and 27MPG on the highway, which seems pretty average. Thankfully the Skyline towers are super fast to take on and off.
-complete my window cover project; have made cardboard templates, just need to decide on pressure fit or suction cup mounts. Will post pics when complete.
-replace driver side door stop checker; dealer quoted over $200, very tempted to DIY
-Replace damaged rubber moldings (driver side door and tailgate are worst).

Would love opinions/thoughts/comments on:
-Passenger side female part of set belt; the buckle will engage, but is very fiddly and have a couple of girlfriends who won't ride with me until resolved. Maybe that's not a bad thing?!? Dealer quoted $500, which seems to be the going rate... No lifetime warranty in Canadia. Don't want to DIY this one. Any thoughts on using a 3" rigid set belt extender as a work around for now?
-changing headlights and interior lights to LED
-Pulling out the driver side seat to replace the little plastic bushings to try to resolve the slight rock of the seat. Other than it being an annoyance, is there a safety reason to deal with it?
-Replace struts on tailgate so that 6'1" BF doesn't hit head on it. I might need a strap to grab on to as I'm a foot shorter. Will revisit the posts on this subject.

Thanks all for "listening"! Happy to finally be a part of the EOC club!

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
Hi, welcome aboard. for the panels, I got really good results with The Car Guys Plastic Restorer—it’s lasted a lot longer than the 404. i use 404 on the interior still.

·
Registered
2003 EX 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation Staggie! I will look for it at next time I'm at my local auto parts store.

·
Registered
2003 EX 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped out the door check straps on both front doors yesterday; fiddly the first time around, but the second one took less than 15 minutes to complete.
Used 303 on all the exterior plastic panels; pretty pleased with the results. Will see how long it lasts before needing to be done again... before and after pics below.
I have a lot of free time these days ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts