Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Element, i think it is the EX.

I've had a few issues with the oil leaking and unfortunately when I took it in for an oil change a few months ago they refused to even do it because the engine was tapping so badly and there was under a quart of oil in there.

Since then I've tried to keep an eye on the oil level as well as the sound of the engine, but the tapping continues to get worse even if there is plenty of oil in the engine.

I adjusted valve clearances over the summer, and who knows... maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't stand driving... in fact I'm afraid that the engine has burned itself out. Considering I probably drove about 3,000 miles with less than a quart of oil.

So, first off, any recommendations when it comes to bringing it into a dealer? What should I be expecting that they might say?

And secondly, although this may be a stupid question... If they tell me that the best bet is to rebuild or replace the engine... anyone ever heard if it's possible to put an engine with a little more power in there? I agree with most that the engine is kindof puny.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
1) If you ask the dealer to do a engine replace you might as well just buy a new car. They are going to charge you a crazy amount of money. Even to rebuild might be more that anyone wants to pay.

2) Not a stupid question. Actually a very popular question. You can drop in a TSX engine with minor changes, they have 200hp. There is a huge following of the K-series engines and almost unlimited. It isn't hard to find postings on 500+ hp k-series engines.

If you have some work done on your engine, Do Not go to the dealer.
6 month old car with engine problems = dealer
6 year old car with engine problems = yourself or local garage

·
Registered
536 Posts
04 Engine

If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools you may want to consider dropping a low mileage engine in yourself, or as someone else mentioned, an Acura engine with a little more power. If you go to a dealer stand by for a "wallet flush"! If you adjusted the valves last year and still have all that clatter it may be coming from the lower end of the motor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I think either way, you're going to sink a lot of money into the E. It might be cheaper, or at least a better expenditure of funds, to replace the E with one in better mechanical condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts