Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short. I am in the midst of deciding what to do with my E. 08' AWD AT with burnt valves, no compression in cyl 4 and low end knocking. I haven't had good luck finding a GOOD mechanic. They either don't want to take up space in their shop or I wasn't confident in my trust of them. I would say my mechanic skills are above average but a full swap is above me. I would like to add more power for my lifestyle and future plans, so the TSX engine seems like the best option. Plus, one remanufactured engine site priced the TSX k24a2 engine the same as the E k24a8. And it comes with a 5 year unlimited miles warranty. I average 36,000 miles a year.

I did find one mechanic that I would trust purely from a reference, they quoted $5800+tax (parts and labor) for a reman E engine. 100,000 mile warranty included. Don't know why they wouldn't put a TSX engine in. What do you think the cost of the ancillary upgrades should average? What year k24a2 to get?

I will also be doing a full exhaust now. A modest lift, suspension and brake upgrade next year. Possibly a turbo in a couple years, also a motivator for the TSX swap! I live in Kansas City, Missouri. If anyone reads this and knows of a shop in my area that could do this swap, please let me know!

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,091 Posts
I suppose it depends a lot on how much you want to spend on this repair.

Do a search here to see what others have paid. As best as I can remember, those good used JDM engines can be had for in the $800 to $900 range. Shop labor was in about the $1500 range.

But do a search! I am old after all and the memory is the first thing to go! :)

If you want to spend the extra $ on a reman E engine, that sounds maybe a little high, but probably about right with the high cost of things these days!

Your mechanic probably will only do the E engine because to get that 100K mile warranty, he likely has to put in the exact engine that it came with.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts