Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 96k miles, I changed out my front pads and rotors. I still have a little pad material left, but my braking effort has seemed to be heavier than it should be. Taking a quick interstate exit had become a bit uncomfotable due to greater braking effort.

Anyway, I used NAPA lifetime pads and rotors. I only have a few miles on them, but they feel great. I also flushed out the brake fluid using Honda fluid.

I had a bit of trouble getting the old rotors off. I couldn't get the screws off that hold the rotors onto the hubs. I even broke my impact screwdriver bits. I have the kind of impact driver that you hit with a big hammer. After much effort, I just drilled the heads off the screws and bought new screws.

All is well in E land again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every 30k miles I use a marinade injector to suck the brake fluid out of the master cyl reservior and replace with new fluid, so it was pretty clean at 96k miles.

Before I started the brake job, I sucked the fluid out of the master cyl once again. This left room in the reservior to compress the pistons in the bores. After compressing each piston, I would suck the brake fluid out of the reservior.

After I replaced the brakes, I refilled the reservior before I touched the brake pedal. I only had to purge about 2-3 oz's of fluid out of each caliper, before the fluid ran clean. I only purged the front two calipers. When I replace the rear brakes, I'll purge those.

Long story short, I only had to use one bottle of Honda brake fluid. If your system is a little dirty, I'd certainly buy two bottles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might add...the dealer quoted me $325 for front pads and rotors. I bought them at NAPA for less than $150.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've noticed some uneven wear on my rotors.. hopefully i can get a caliper on to see if it's warped. Did you swap or turn your rotors?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed new rotors. I had some vibrations while exiting interstates, so They at least needed to be turned. It cost $10-12 ea to turn them and about $25 for new. I REALLY didn't want to put an entire day into this while waiting on the rotors to be turned. I trust NAPA brake parts, and I figured new NAPA rotors would be better than turned OE parts.

That's the story. Be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts