Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new Honda, I was just wondering if it is better to bring it to a Dealer for the scheduled check-ups as well as periodic oil changes.

The local Honda dealership has really high prices and are constantly finding something else that they claim needs to be done to the vehicle.

I always buy Honda's and Toyota's and never have any problems, so should I just continue tolerate the dealers higher prices or go somewhere else ??

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
With a new Honda, I was just wondering if it is better to bring it to a Dealer for the scheduled check-ups as well as periodic oil changes.

The local Honda dealership has really high prices and are constantly finding something else that they claim needs to be done to the vehicle.

I always buy Honda's and Toyota's and never have any problems, so should I just continue tolerate the dealers higher prices or go somewhere else ??

I think our extensive DYI section holds the key to your Question !

Dom

·
Registered
510 Posts
i do all the maintenance myself and i always keep records of what i have done to my vehicles.i have changed out motor oil every 5000 miles with moble 1 full syn 5-20 since i bought my element brand new.change the tranny fluid about 5000 miles ago.and spark plugs,air filter..etc..
i dont trust dealer,first of all,they over charge and second i dont trust their technicians.

·
Registered
104 Posts

EVERYTHING you need to know about maintenece is outlined in your owners-manual. Whenever you get a maintenece required light on your dashboard, check the manual and see what is required. If your a really paranoid type of person, then follow the schedule for "severe" conditions. This replaces things more often, but still not nearly as often as dealer would have you believe. Don't be fooled by things they try to sell you like 30k & 70k mile service packages that cost hundreds of dollars. In these cases, you are just paying TONS of money for simple checks you can/should do yourself along w/ a oil-change and tire rotation. You can get both of those at the local lube shop for less than $50. This car doesn't even need spark plugs or coolant till 105k miles.

BTW: The manual says to replace brake fluid ever 3 years but you won't get a maintenece message about it on the dash. If you bought the car used, you can bet the original owner never changed it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts