Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a preliminary report... I'm still in the process of cutting filters apart.

GuestBedroom earlier alerted us that the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) on Honda's "official" oil filter had just changed to Honeywell. I knew Honeywell to be Fram, and, not mincing words, Fram = bad.

I just finished cutting apart the new blue Honda-labelled filter. With the lone exception of a silicone anti-drainback valve, the new blue can is identical to the cheapest orange can!

The filter you want is labelled "Filtech, Inc" (also known as Dana/Wix), on the side near the base. Its Honda part number is 15400-PLM-A01.

The filter you don't want is labelled "Honeywell". Its part number is 15400-PLM-A02.

More details, and pictures, once I finish disassembing the filters.

(PS - Sneak preview: you Purolator PureOne fans are not going to be happy. I was pretty disappointed by what I found.)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow, thanks for the warning. I'm just now getting ready to take mine in for it's first (5000 miles) oil change! Funny, in all the years I had owned Fords, I always used Fram oil filters and never had a problem.

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
Hey,

Yeah, I read something on the net awhile back about the orange Frams. That they are the most restrictive filters available and over time will seize your engines due to oil starvation.

On that website which was taken down at the request of FRAM attorneys. It also went into much greater detail about the filters/materials/etc. And to this day the FRAM filter is still the same restrictive type.

Beware!

Thx,
Phil

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>seize your engines due to oil starvation.

Oo - highly unlikely. What happens when they clog (yes, reportedly earlier) is that they simply go into bypass, where you have no filtration. All automotive oil filters are built that way.

The problem with Fram is the super-cheap materials and construction. You'll see what I mean when I post the results.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T Mac said:
Mike - please advise...

I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow morning for oil change #1. Should I be asking what filter they use? I can see it now...they'll think I'm some nut for asking.
Yes. Make sure they're using the "-A01" or "Filtech" filter.

I feel bad to "tease" everyone here, but I have to dash out the door for a meeting. But here's an executive summary:

I disassembled eight filters. The best of the 8, in my estimation, is the Honda "Filtech" filter, and by far. I was very disappointed in what I found inside the Purolator PureOne, Bosch Premium and Mobil1, all brands that had received positive reviews in the past. The Fram Extra Guard was the same poor quality components reported in the past, the Honda ("new blue") version of it had a little more filter area and the silicone anti-drainback valve I mentioned.

Oh, an item of business - I just cut apart $50 worth of filters, and it was really painful putting the saw to the $11 Mobil1. Everybody who responds to this thread owes me lunch. :grin:

·
Registered
717 Posts
well i will buy you lunch if you can tell me what was so bad about the purolater filter. ;)

-tom

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Since you mention "Filtech" is known as Dana/Wix...what about Wix filters themselves? Wix part number 51356 is for the Element...I have generally heard from long time motorheads that the Dana, Wix and Hastings filters have always been of high quality.

Should the Filtech stamped Honda filter supply run dry...what's the next alternative? Is it the Wix? maybe others? If need be, I'll get a couple and hack them open myself...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
wow! theres no way i would spend 50 bucks on anyone here :) youre an inspiration mike :)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>Since you mention "Filtech" is known as Dana/Wix...what about Wix filters themselves?

The Wix is one of the eight, so I have you covered. So hang on, everyone, I'm still organizing it all.

But, hey, why not another teaser while I'm here?... the Mobil1 was worst, by far, in a very important category. :shock:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Eagerly awaiting the best filter choice. I have my supply of Mobil 1 0w20 ready to go, just need a filter!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Certainly worth a lunch for the info. If you are ever in Rising Sun, Indiana I have a restaurant there. My FBP 2004 E AWD Auto will be parked out front.My neighbor next door to the restaurant has an E also. He has a business manufacturing harps. Hope you come by some time and visit both our places. The tour of the harp factory is very cool.

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Does H and A carry the 15400-PLM-AO1 filter? The image on their website conveniently has the AO1 / AO2 blurred out...even when the filter is placed in your shopping cart, the reference number is only given as PLM or something. I emailed them to ask what they have, since I'll order a bunch for myself...as I'd rather not go to the local dealer and ask the guy behind the counter to check part numbers.

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Scroll down near the bottom to check out the Napa Gold/Wix filter with that unique bypass....

Honda filter dissection

I found this late last night...I'm not posting the link to complicate the issue here, but to point out that bypass.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sadly, we've shipped out the last of our A01's today. For our last two orders from Honda they've shipped us A02's. They don't give us any choice. We order the A01's and they replace them with A02's. We've passed along the fact that our customers don't want the A02's, but so far they still ship the ones we don't order.

They've done the two filter supplier thing for quite a few years now. My only guess is that they want to keep two incase one has a production problem.

-Trevor
HandA-Accessories.com

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Thank you Trevor...this will save you from having a flood of requests, right?

Anyways, I still dig my keyless entry and cargo organizer from H and A:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I located the Honda 154PLMA01 filter online but it is listed as a filter for a lawnmower engine. Could this particular filter be used in the Element and a Honda lawnmower? Or is this wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for all the work you put into your reports. Do want to make sure my first oil change is done right.

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
I found that at Plano Power Equipment's website...scary, they list it as a lawnmower engine oil filter...that is either a big mower engine, or a small Element engine:?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts