Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh No! Not another thread about a noise. Maybe someone out there has had the same noise and can help me out.

I noticed just the other day on the highway at about 60 mph. It sounds like there is a dragonfly stuck in my dash. Around my left leg by the A/C vent. Now if I slow down it goes away, but when I speed up, there it is. I just had foglights put in about a month ago. I'm wondering if its the wires fluttering with the air that comes in through the fresh air vent. But I closed the vent and put it on recirculating and its still there.

Its driving me mad, because I don't know where to look for it. I've got an appointment to take it in. But with all the horror stories of beat up dashboards. I don't know if I should trust them. Help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today is 5/19/03 and my Element is back in the shop for a cracked windsheild. They had it last week for two days to fix the rattle in the dash we picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and the thing rattles worse now than it did before. On top of that my wife came home from work on Wednesday and the windsheild had a crack in it. I carried it to the dealership that afternoon and they admitted that it was a stress crack from the work they had done to it. I asked them if they were going to fix the rattle in the dash and was told that these vehicles have alot of plastic in them and they are going to rattle some. Boy if had known that I would have keep my old vehicle. I mean how many people want to buy a new car and have to listen to a rattle in the dash every time you go down the road.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Over 600 KM on my "E" now and no shake, no rattle, no roll. :D And I was driving on some shaky county roads. The "E" should not make rattling noises in my mind at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
YES!!!!

I mentioned this on another thread but seemed to be alone. For me, it doesn't happen constantly. It only seems to occur in warmer weather. At lower speeds nothing. When I accelerate to 40 or sometimes 50 or sometimes not until 60, I get a sort of humming/buzzing/whistling sound coming from, what seems to me, where the dash and windshield meet. Actually it could be coming from anywhere in the dash, it's kind of hard to place where it's coming from.

Aslo, I should mention that it didn't start happening to me until about 3,000 miles (I now have almost 9,000)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Perhaps something got into the air vent and is stuck in there? Maybe when you get up to a fast enough speed to force a lot of air through the vent it's buzzing in there. Just a guess, but I know I had a leaf get into the vent on my old car once and it made a real racket on the freeway.

Drew

·
Registered
10 Posts
I now have 2500 miles on my beautiful SOP but the rattles continue to grow :( The newest one, and most consistant, is one on the drivers side dash, left of center on the drivers side. The rattle is VERY loud, sounds a bit like a popcorn machine. Definitely sounds like something is loose, probably plastic... Any thoughts? I am planning a trip to the dealer soon but am hoping that I might get some direction on where to send the mechanic. Historically I've never had good luck with sending a mechanic on a rattle hunt.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:b8225111d0="azbecks"]I now have 2500 miles on my beautiful SOP but the rattles continue to grow :( The newest one, and most consistant, is one on the drivers side dash.[/quote:b8225111d0]

Just curious as to what other rattles you have on your E. You refer to this as the "newest one" but I can't find, on other posts, where you mentioned any other. Just curious as to what might be in store for me. So far no problems at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jay,

I preface all these statements by saying that I LOVE my E. I can't say I've enjoyed a car more than this one and that includes my '01 325i. It's just a great overall car :)

On the dash rattle front - the most frequent and persistant (and LOUD!) rattle is my "popcorn machine" rattle on the drivers side dash. My E developed a rattle at about 1500 miles on the passenger side, somewhere near or behind the glove box. This one is more metal sounding than plastic.... it is also intermittant. I call it my "3 o'clock rattle" because it seems to occur only in the afternoon. The next rattle appeared in the drivers door of all places at about 2000 miles. It comes from within the door, down near the speaker (my best guess). My husband thinks that it may be from in front of the door but I banged on the door a bit and it seemed to stop for about a week. Finally, there is a small rattle - not as noticeable all of the time/not as loud - that seems to come from the A pillar on the drivers side. That's pretty much it. I've never had any of the rattles from the rear on E that I've read about on this board... thank goodness.

Also of note, I had my windshield replaced after 15 days of ownership (cracked at day 10 and had to wait for a replacement) and I've noticed some noises coming from around the windshield itself... don't know if that is related to any of these noises....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my E back yesterday, two days in the shop. No answer from dealer as to why or where. I took the tech out for a spin on the highway and at 80 mph it was when the noise seem to happen. They told me the E does not have a cover inside the wheel well like other cars do because of the new suspension. ??? So me and the service manager put our heads together and somewhat figured out... That at high speeds, air gets in there and is making something flutter about. At 60 mph there is no noise, so the faster I go, more air get in the wheel well and Voila! Dragonfly in dash noise... They also totally lost my keys, but thats a whole other thread... Hence the two days in the shop...Lotsa cool perks for the inconvenience... :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
got mine back from the dealership and the dash rattles worse now than it did before. Service manager said that the Element has alot of plastic in it and it is going to rattle some. I wonder if he would feel that way if it where his vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote:cedfdac9af="azbecks"]Jay,

I preface all these statements by saying that I LOVE my E. I can't say I've enjoyed a car more than this one and that includes my '01 325i. It's just a great overall car :).[/quote:cedfdac9af]
I just got rid of my 90' 325is. What a great car that was - 260,000 and the engine and trans were still strong. Have a 2001 328i now and looking forward to an Element soon. Q. Do the rattles fixes come under the Honda warranty?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
And y'all better stand up for your rights with these cheezy dealers y'all seem to have. My E is in the 6,000's VIN number wise and I have had zero problems, rattles or anything and I haven't even installed my radio yet to cover them up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine is the tweeter in the windshied brace rattling in the molded plasic housing- does it mostly when cooler weather- night & evenings-

not sure what to do but i figure the dealer will probably screw it up worse- anybody else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the strange buzzing sound that happens when going over 60mph. It doesn't ever last very long but it sure is curious. I have decided that it's probably wind noise over some edge of the top of the windshield.... or something like that... outside. At first I thought it was in the defrost vent but now I don't think so. It usually kicks in at around 70mph, but sometimes slower.

On the whole I love the car... I'm certainly not going to return it over this buzz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts