Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up but there is a new law starting December 1st if you have a license plate frame on your rear plate. It can not cover any of the stickers at the top and can not cover the name North Carolina. For the first 12 months you will get a warning but after that you will be fined.

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4277

There goes the EOC frame. :-(

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add....I think talking on a cell phone will be against the law as well on that date....you have to be using a headset of some sort. Added to it I believe texting while driving will go into effect too. Can someone tell me how in the hell you are able to see those keys and navigate your car at the same time?!? Anyways, just a quick vent but wanted to keep all the North Carolinians informed.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I forgot to add....I think talking on a cell phone will be against the law as well on that date....you have to be using a headset of some sort. Added to it I believe texting while driving will go into effect too. Can someone tell me how in the hell you are able to see those keys and navigate your car at the same time?!? Anyways, just a quick vent but wanted to keep all the North Carolinians informed.
I am glad to see that this appears to be part of a North America wide trend. A number of U.S. states and Canadian provinces have these laws already and British Columbia and North Carolina are joining the club as well. I hope its universal soon.

I can't tell you how many close calls I have had (as a driver and a pedestrian) because of idiots talking on their cell phones while driving. Don't even get me started on texting.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This past August I was pulled over in Texas for my tag frame, DC tags have no stickers on them they're on the windshield. The trooper informed me that tag frames were illegal in Texas, because when you are pulled over they need to see the full tag to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen. He issued me a warning ticket, but while I was waiting at least 20 Texas cars pass me with tag frames, a couple of them covered the word Texas. Oh well just another state for me to avoid:)

·
1,049 Posts

Just an FYI, Your vehicle need only meet the legal requirements of the state in which it is registered, NOT the state in which you are driving.

You should of told the Texas trooper to pound sand, Your vehicle is legal in Washington and is not subject to the laws of Texas.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Minnesota is kinda fuzzy when it comes to plate frames or plates for that matter. When I had my Jeep Wrangler I tore the front plate off on a rock in less than a month and in the next two years I was never once asked "where is your front plate eh?" But when I lost the front plate off of my camo Geo Metro I got pulled over within the hour, then the next morning and again after work.
I found out you can have a plate frame but not if it has a clear plastic cover. I wanted to protect the cheap fire fighter plates (stickers now, no longer embossed) with the clear plastic covers but apparently cops cannot see through crystal clear plastic? Not that you even need a plate to ID a camouflage Geo Metro or a boxy green Element in the land of rusty pickups.:?

·
Registered
794 Posts

Just an FYI, Your vehicle need only meet the legal requirements of the state in which it is registered, NOT the state in which you are driving.

You should of told the Texas trooper to pound sand, Your vehicle is legal in Washington and is not subject to the laws of Texas.

Oh I know I've driven through the state twice prior with no issues, this trooper was just bored and needed something to do.:evil:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts

Crappy part is that they're still going to nail you, especially if you tell them that you're just passing through. What's the chance that you're actually going to come back to fight the ticket in court? Happened to me in Oklahoma while I was passing through on my way to North Dakota.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

Sorry, BigTz...but you have the pass the safety inspection of the State/province in which your plate is issued. Each State is free to pass whatever law they like, and enforce it. It's a drivers responsibility to ensure they are cognizant of the laws of the States they drive thru.
North Carolina's law is perfectly legal ("HB67 makes it an offense to cover the state name or year/month sticker on a license plate with a license plate frame.") and completely enforceable upon any vehicle traveling on any roadway within the State...
I manage long haul truck drivers, and we have to be aware of, and obey all State Laws as we pass thru each State.

fwiw, Ontario recently started enforcement of our Handfree Devices law...not only cell phones and texting, but cd/walkman/ipods and gps units must be mounted to the vehicle if you want to use them while driving. We also have a speed governor law for commercial vehicles. All commercial vehicles must have an active speed governor set no higher that 110 km/h. Do you want to guess how many US carriers no longer travel into Ontario?

·
1,049 Posts

I disagree Tim.

Take this for example...

Kansas does not issue a front plate nor require vehicles to display a front plate.

No state with a front plate law may issue me a ticket for not having a front plate.

You are correct in that states may make and enforce any law they want.(For residents of that state) However if the law is in contradiction to a lawfully registered vehicle of my state of residence then they can do nothing about it as I drive anywhere in their state. I need only comply with federal and my state laws and regulations regarding equipment on my vehicle.

The same example can be used for window tinting. As long as my window tinting is legal in my state I don't care nor does any other state have jurisdiction over my vehicle even if I am driving on their roadways.

Now commercial vehicles are a whole different story.

P.S. Not all states have a "safety inspection" for non commercial vehicles. I know Kansas and California don't.

Wikipedia said:
18 states and the District of Columbia have a periodic (annual or biannual) safety inspection program, while Maryland requires an inspection prior to registration or transfer of ownership only.

·
Registered
794 Posts
As of 10/01/09 there are no longer safety inspections for non-commercial vehicles in the District of Columbia, just emission only. Tag frames are legal in DC, you just cannot put a clear or smoked cover over them. DC tags really have no information on them because of theft, all the info including the tag number is on the registration sticker on the windshield.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

I disagree Tim.

Take this for example...

Kansas does not issue a front plate nor require vehicles to display a front plate.

No state with a front plate law may issue me a ticket for not having a front plate.

You are correct in that states may make and enforce any law they want.(For residents of that state) However if the law is in contradiction to a lawfully registered vehicle of my state of residence then they can do nothing about it as I drive anywhere in their state. I need only comply with federal and my state laws and regulations regarding equipment on my vehicle.

The same example can be used for window tinting. As long as my window tinting is legal in my state I don't care nor does any other state have jurisdiction over my vehicle even if I am driving on their roadways.

Now commercial vehicles are a whole different story.

P.S. Not all states have a "safety inspection" for non commercial vehicles. I know Kansas and California don't.
I think you are confusing the legal requirements to obtain and renew your vehicle license registration, and a State's right to pass and enforce laws. Believe me, I've had this same discussion many times...
Kansas, and many other States only issue one plate, therefore you are in compliance with your State Law for the issuance of your plate. All States have Laws stating something to the effect that you must have and display a currently registered License plate, as issued by your State of residence. DCBox has pointed out that DC issues a registration sticker that is affixed to the inside of the windshield. This would comply with any other States Laws, since he has his plate, and current registration.
But you are partially incorrect in stating that States may only enforce the Laws for residents of their State. The difference is whether or not the Law is a DOT Licensing requirement, or Highway Traffic Act Regulation.
Your example of window tint is a perfect example of this. In Ontario I'm allowed to have tinted windows (I forget the exact amount of gradient off the top of my head) on all windows except the front driver and passenger windows and the windshield, which can only be tinted to a lesser degree. This would be a Licensing requirement. In order to pass a safety inspection, I need to be in compliance with all the safety regulations. Provincial Police and MTO inspectors can also pull me over at any time to ensure my vehicle meets those standards, and ticket me if they don't. (we also don't have annual safety inspections, just emissions tests every 3 years). BUT, I can't be ticketed in another jurisdiction for not being in compliance with their tinting law, since, as you pointed out, I don't have to pass their safety inspection.

BUT, if North Carolina passes a Highway Traffic Act Regulation, specifying that you can't have a plate cover hiding the State or registration sticker on your vehicle, then that Law would apply to ANY vehicle traveling on any road in North Carolina.
Same as States who have passed the No Cell Phone (or any similar law). If I'm driving in New York State, and talking on my cell phone while driving, then I'm getting a ticket. Same if I don't wear a seat belt. They don't care where my vehicle is registered, or that I don't hold a license from that State, I'm still getting that ticket. I can decide not to pay it, and there isn't a lot they can do, except notify my home DOT of the offense, but it's not like they can cancel My license for not paying that ticket. (but they can issue a warrant for my arrest if I have enough unpaid tickets, and I might want to be careful driving in that State in the future...lol)

Sorry BigTz, but enough of the States are realizing that they can do this, and are changing their laws to HTA regs, since these are more enforceable than DOT safety, and they can nail more out-of-State vehicles that way. HTA tickets will also follow you to your home State, and will go on your driving abstract, but the points won't. It really doesn't matter, since your insurance Co checks your abstract when you renew, so anything on there can be a problem...

·
1,049 Posts

Tim, I think we are in agreement but missing each other on the wordage. LOL

I am only talking about equipment on a vehicle not actions done or not done by the driver of the vehicle. Like talking on a cell phone has nothing to do with the equipment of the vehicle nor does the driver not wearing a seat belt. The actions of the driver in these instances are what is unlawful not the vehicle's equipment.

The trooper telling DC he could not have a frame around his license plate is not true. DC's vehicle is not subject to that law in Texas as his vehicle meets the legal requirements in the state where it is registered.

License plate frames and tinting and head/taillights would all fall under equipment violations, not moving violations.

Bottom line is if your vehicle meets all the requirements of the state where you have it registered and federal statutes you may driving it anywhere in the US legally.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I agree, and I think you are right that we are missing on the wordage...
I think you've missed my point about the Highway Traffic Act Regulations. The new North Carolina Law is an HTA Regulation, which means it applies to any vehicle on the roads in NC.
A license plate frame is not 'equipment on a vehicle', but an add on that they can get you with.

This was the point I was trying to make. Many State DOT's and Legislators have realized that there is a loop hole, and are pushing through these types of Laws, but as HTA Regulations, which makes them enforceable on any vehicle on their State roadways.

DC getting a ticket in Texas for a plate frame is perfectly legal, as it's a legal regulation in Texas. As is a ticket in Pennsylvania for having something hanging from your rear view mirror. (there's an old saying - 'When in Rome, do as the Roman's do'. This is fitting, cause when in Texas, their Laws apply to you.)

It sucks, and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it, except be aware of the laws of the States you are driving through, because State Troops may hate these 'bs money grabs', but they will give you a ticket for them if they can.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You guys are both missing the point.

The fuzz is just jealous of our exclusive club and we will have to find some other "must have" accessory to replace the plate frame, like fuzzy EOC dice or a fuzzy steering wheel cover or a fuzzy shift knob cover etc..:-D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah but apparently the fuzzy EOC dice hanging from the mirror will get you a ticket in Pennsylvania. :x

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yeah but apparently the fuzzy EOC dice hanging from the mirror will get you a ticket in Pennsylvania. :x
Dang it! It's illegal here too.:x How about a EOC grille badge, like the old time touring cars?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be schweeeeet!!!! :grin:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did hear on the news this morning that apparently you can still talk on the cell phone while driving but can not text message. I'm supprised that they did not go all the way with the cell phone thing but who knows these days. I guess someone did not lobby for that part or some law maker found that it would be an inconvenience for them to buy a headset! :roll:

·
Registered
575 Posts
No Texting

Ok I'll stop texting but the plate frame stays until I actually get a ticket:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts