Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of a 4WD EX. I love it. My husband is handicapped and it has been great to be able to load his chair into the back without a hassle.

My husband and I read through the message board and did a lot of research before purchasing. Frankly, there wasn't anything close in the same price range. We had one bad dealer experience so we moved on and went some where else. Had a great experience there.

So far I haven't had any of the problems listed. I haven't tracked the exact gas mileage yet, but I'm guessing around the mid 20's on the highway. I put a lot of miles on a car. Owned this one two weeks and have 2800 miles on the odometer. I'm a little concerned about the stories on gas mileage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
congrats! and welcome!

i'm with you on the gas mileage thing. i've read some wildly varying reports on the forum but i've yet to experience anything less that 24 mpg. i do a lot of "highway" driving so i expect mine will be better than those with more stop and go, but it's right about where i would expect for the type of driving i do.

on the handicap thing, i posted about this in another thread, but i'm very curious what yours and your husband's experience is with this. my father-in-law has ms and is in a wheelchair. he and his wife currently drive a minivan but fell in love with our e when we took it to visit them. he tried it out and had some difficulty with transferring from his chair into the front passenger seat. transferring back out was a breeze (much simpler than with his van) but because of the door geometry and the way he transfers, he had more difficulty with the e than with the van. if you don't mind, i'd love to hear how you and your husband approach this.

again, welcome to the club.

peace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately my husband can stand well enough to transfer. Right now we are using ramps but hope to install a lift soon. I have seen modifications made where a seat swivels and moves down outside the car so it is easier to transfer. I think Bruno Company has the modification kit.

We have also removed one back seat to allow room for the wheelchair. We can get it in with one seat down, but we usually put it up to make it a little easier, but we leave it in just in case we need to transport an extra passenger.

My only complaint is that the plastic on the tailgate is so soft. The ramps have really scratched it up, especially on the edge where the ramps rest.
It is nice to drive something that isn't a large van and still have it accessible. Most small SUVs in this category are not large enough for the wheelchair unless you take out both back seats, and some you still can't fit the chair inside.

Good luck![/url]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a new owner also..Had my car since June 13. Its such a good car. I love this car. I recently got scratches on my car..someone keyed it and it doenst look nice =/ But either than that nothing else bad has happened to it yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts