Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced all my brake pads and rotors on the rear, the e-brake pads were in good shape so I left them as is. I also replaced the passenger side calliper. I adjusted the e-brake, but during my test drive there was a horrible squeal that came from them when driving straight ahead, this lessoned and disappeared, but it comes back when I make turns to the right or left. I removed the wheels and checked to see if the rotors were rubbing anything, but could not find any issue. I think I may have bumped the protection cowl, but checked this as well and it seems okay. Any ideas

2005 E, fwd, 5 speed

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome and check the dust plate behind the rotors as if its rubbing the rotor it will make a squealing horribly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I did check the the hand brake shoes and gave them a good cleaning with brake cleaner to get rid of any left over dust, but my suspicion is leaning toward the dust plates, as the sound comes when the car is leaning into a turn. I guess its just a matter of fiddling with them till the sound goes?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
First i'd check that dust plate for damage , next i'd check the newly installed pads for fit , did you lube the guide pins and clean and lube where the pads insert ? Did you use M-77 on the back of the pads or disk quiet ? Next remove the rotor and inspect the points where the shoes touch the dust plate , did you lube there ? Basically you have to start all over again , which stinks , really stinks ....

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not to revive an old thread, but just to add some personal opinion/insight here. I just did all four brakes and noticed something on this car that I have never seen on any other car that I think is a major contributing factor to everyone's "premature wear" and noisy rear brakes. My element too suffered from the noise symptoms. The front brakes have springs that separate the pads from the rotors when not braking, the rear brakes do not have this. That being said, there is nothing that is separating the rear pads from the rotor when NOT braking, hence when not braking, still scraping/making noise. When I apply brake pressure, noise goes completely away because now the pads are in full contact. I am not a certified or trained mechanic, but I know my way plenty around the garage and it seems to me that the best fix to this problem everyone (myself included) would be to get some sort of spring setup to work on the rear brakes similarly to the front. Every car I've ever done brakes on had something like this, so I am shocked the element doesn't. Very strange.

If I do attempt this fix, I will be sure to post about it, but right now its the least of my concerns as its just a noise and has already been confirmed to not be an actual mechanical problem.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts