Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo everyone!

i just purchased (actually last monday) a brand new '08 Element SC (RBM) and i'm loving it! i actually called around a lot of dealers in my city to see if they had the car in root beer, but there was only 1 dealer that had it in the lot.

took it home for 23.8k, with roof rack, wheel locks, and that cargo mat thing that protects the cargo area from getting all jacked up. i probably could have gotten a better deal on it but i was too happy that i found a root beer without driving super far away from home. handa don't make the '09s in root beer so i had to take the '08 while they still had them! i'm a bigger fan of the '08s anyway.

but yeah, i love it! i can see why everyone loves their E on this forum. it's a huge upgrade from my '98 civic lx. with jacked up air conditioning and messed up door locks, rusted paint, etc =(

since last monday, i've had to fuel up twice... i got 21.5 mpg on the first fillup (both city and highway) and i got 21.1 on the second fillup (both city and highway). is this normal? will the mileage improve as my car breaks in? ideally i would like to be getting 23, maybe even 24mpg with combined driving, but i guess it's all up to the foot. but yeah, if you element owners could fill me in on the break in period, mileage, etc... all that.

i love this car!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I think you will find that the mileage improves.

But I have a 4WD so I'm not sure. :)

Feel free to browse around the boards. I know this has been talked about many times. Just do a search on the topic and it will bring up a number of threads that contain the information you are looking for.

Post Some Photo's before JoJo gets you! :)

Dom

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Mod your ride aggressively, post photos constantly and enjoy the crowd - they are a hoot! :-D

-Jamie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome! I have an 08 SC I purchesed about 4 months ago, and yes, the mileage will improve. Check your tire pressures, mine were way low from the dealer. I run 40 psi all around with the Goodyear Eagles it came with. About 5500 miles on it so far, the break-in is subtile, but the milage does improve. A friend of mine at the local Chevy dealership said Honda's engine computer will set in at 5,000 miles, then reset every 5K, adjusting to the driver's demands. I don't know if this is true or not, but seems logical, cause after hitting 5,000, my milage went up a bit further. 23-25 should be expected if you don't really get onto the VTEC and stay below 80mph. I'm not sure what gas is going for in SOCAL these days, but here in Northern Louisiana, its about 1.50/gal so, I don't mind "dropping the hammer" from time to time. Enjoy the RBM SC. Don't let these guys pressure you into too many mods :)
So far, I debadged mine and I have interior LEDs on order. Get an EOC sticker!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Root Beer Rocks! I got mine on Halloween, so *almost* a month!

Welcome to the forum, I'm a newb too!! YAY!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats on the new SC! Root beer would have been my second choice if I couldn't find a Galaxy Grey..but I did! Its a beautiful color and a great car! I'll echo the others your mileage will improve as time goes on. Mine improved after my first oil change as well as adding some air to the tires(underinflated off the lot, whoops). When I got my E a year ago it cost about 50-60$ to fill up and now its about 26-28$ so life is good now at 23mpg lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone, i feel welcomed now!

as for the photos, i haven't taken any yet. i will have a friend take some photos after i wash my car (for the first time!) after all the rain settles down. she's beeaautiful.

i'm gonna get tints and i'll probably get an intake after i put more miles on it and MAYBE an exhaust, depending on if i have the money and if i feel like being loud :lol:

i'll post the pics as soon as i take them... hopefully soon when the rain stops.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just totally put my E to good use today! black friday shopping was so crazy. my friend actually bought a giant screen TV and looked at me when we were talking about who's car it could fit in. they love me and my E, now!

okay so i checked my air tire pressure and set it to 40psi all around, and boy that made all the difference. i was driving with 25psi all around since i didn't check it after i took it home from the dealer. thanks for that. i'm getting 23.5mpg. not bad for combined city/hwy, ay?

i'll try to post pics soon, looks like the rain has stopped!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i just totally put my E to good use today! black friday shopping was so crazy. my friend actually bought a giant screen TV and looked at me when we were talking about who's car it could fit in. they love me and my E, now!
Black Friday was hectic. I didn't do the early morning thing, but headed to Best Buy afterward in the afternoon to get an online order - 1/2 hour in the customer service line (insane!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so it's been 3 1/2 weeks since i got my SC... and i have 1800 miles on it. such a fun car to drive! i've been volunteering myself to drive everywhere, haha :lol:

as for mods - i just got the front two windows tinted at 20% and thinking about getting a CAI soon and possibly an exhaust soon after that. is 1800-2000 miles still too early in the truck's life to do that? or is it okay?

i've been averaging out at 22 mpg lately and i'm pretty satisfied. with the CAI and exhaust how much will the mileage improve? how much +horsepower will be added to it?

i wonder if the roof rack (cross bars) is giving me less mileage.. hm.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
so it's been 3 1/2 weeks since i got my SC... and i have 1800 miles on it. such a fun car to drive! i've been volunteering myself to drive everywhere, haha :lol:

as for mods - i just got the front two windows tinted at 20% and thinking about getting a CAI soon and possibly an exhaust soon after that. is 1800-2000 miles still too early in the truck's life to do that? or is it okay?

i've been averaging out at 22 mpg lately and i'm pretty satisfied. with the CAI and exhaust how much will the mileage improve? how much +horsepower will be added to it?

i wonder if the roof rack (cross bars) is giving me less mileage.. hm.
Intake/Exhaust will improve mileage a bit, but ONLY if you're not lead-footing the gas peddle, lol! I was getting avg 25MPG with both installed, but I push my E hard a lot, so hard that my Gibson SS exhaust looks gold, lol.

So, what part of So-CAL you from?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm from san diego where the weather is just amazing right now! it's like 68 degrees with the sun out.. no heat and just cold to my liking :.)

but yeah haha i keep telling myself that i won't lead-foot once i get it but there's no guarantee because i'll love the sound too much, ahah! but thanks for the info. how do you like the gibson ss? and what kind of CAI did you install?

as for the crossbars.... does that affect my mpg at all? maybe a little?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i'm from san diego where the weather is just amazing right now! it's like 68 degrees with the sun out.. no heat and just cold to my liking :.)

but yeah haha i keep telling myself that i won't lead-foot once i get it but there's no guarantee because i'll love the sound too much, ahah! but thanks for the info. how do you like the gibson ss? and what kind of CAI did you install?

as for the crossbars.... does that affect my mpg at all? maybe a little?
Ah cool, keep an eye out in the Cali threads, the SD EOCers might be planning something for down there.

I love the Gibson, it's got a nice growl to it and sounds awesome at wide open throttle. It's the only other aftermarket catback in the market, other than Injen. The CAI I have is the Injen, the brand that has intakes for 07 and up. I honestly don't know if the roof rack affects MPG that much, but it does weigh something, not too much.

·
Registered
512 Posts
thanks everyone, i feel welcomed now!

as for the photos, i haven't taken any yet. i will have a friend take some photos after i wash my car (for the first time!) after all the rain settles down. she's beeaautiful.

i'm gonna get tints and i'll probably get an intake after i put more miles on it and MAYBE an exhaust, depending on if i have the money and if i feel like being loud :lol:

i'll post the pics as soon as i take them... hopefully soon when the rain stops.
I just bought mine on Saturday and I love it. Mine is Rootbeer as well! Awesome color. This car is an upgrade from my Isuzu Rodeo even though it's a smaller car, however I gain power windows and lock and bumpin system. Now I don't mind be stuck in LA traffic. Lastly ordered my HID kit and will be here soon.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just bought mine on Saturday and I love it. Mine is Rootbeer as well! Awesome color. This car is an upgrade from my Isuzu Rodeo even though it's a smaller car, however I gain power windows and lock and bumpin system. Now I don't mind be stuck in LA traffic. Lastly ordered my HID kit and will be here soon.
Cool, another LA neighbor! Welcome Gruvncubn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts