Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on ebay for $48- they had 17 of them to sell- store display demo radios- It was easy to install- I marked my old single Din brackets and re drilled some holes to center the new radio in the double din opening, saving the old plastic compartment that was under the factory radio. I also installed a SiriusXM receiver that I had used on a different car.
Just splice the new harness to the old- color for color- I solder and tape mine. There is about a 3/16" bezel gap, but that doesn't bother me--
It's getting hard to find a radio with push button presets, which I prefer= no fiddling with stations on the road. (18 presets available)
The BT works great- 2 different phones can be paired at the same time- I placed the microphone up high on the left side, below the visor. Finally, I renewed my Sirius for 6 months for $30, so I am now ready for a late spring road trip--
Mark

IMG_1822.JPG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love my tailgate- it sure makes for a great workbench!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All done, a nice way to spend a sunny 75 degree day in SW Florida on the last day of January.
However, this morning is 65 degrees and rain--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice work! Do the controls on the steering wheel function with the new radio head? Do you still have the link/contact info for the company, might want to grab one of the remaining 16

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2005 doesn't have steering wheel controls- that started with the 2006 , plus, all those radios have been sold as of yesterday. I looked at the wiring schematic and there are no wires for steering wheel controls. However, Crutchfield says an adapter is required for that feature (most model cars)--

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they relisted 3 radios- now $44.99 -
search for ebay item , 273598495718

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like this unit so well, that I ordered another one- to put back for a future vehicle.
Now two radios left--

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the write up.
Did you have an adapter that went from the unit to plug into the factory recepticle?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I bought the adapter plug online- I think it was around $5.
Reading the Amazon reviews shows their have been problems reported with this model. So far, I have had no issues.
Checking on ebay, I see that there are still deals to be had on this radio- I just turned my Siruis XM service back on for 6 months with a promotional special of $30 plus taxes. ( you need the Sirius SXV300 adapter kit for Sat radio)
I dispensed with installing a finish trim piece to close the small gap around the radio- For me, it's not very noticeable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi

Went ahead and just bought a JVC unit and 2 pair of 6.5" Polk Audio speakers from the Bay.
I had money in my Paypal so decided to go that way.
Bought an adapter, to connect everything.
All together came to about $200 which was less than I thought everything would cost.
Not looking to kick the roof off, but I think this will give me what I need.
No matter what head unit I reviewed there was never one with total satisfaction from all owners.
JVC, used to make good audio, we will see???

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
s-l400.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have BT hands free phone call capability- a must nowadays- that is why I upgraded mine. Its pretty easy to remove the trim to get it installed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,
Thanks, my speakers arrived today and I just put them in.
Used the factory wiring.
Was able to remove the plastic holder from the speaker connection and then just put a small crimp or tightened the connector so it held to the new speakers.
Used the old screws with one extra as the new speakers had 4 holes.
The 6.5" speakers fit with no cutting, pretty painless so far.
The radio is suppose to show tomorrow and the adapter came so hopefully will be smelling rosin core solder tomorrow!
Oh yea, my local sound store wanted $400 for radio and speakers and $200 labor?
I think I could do everything in less than an hour and I don't know what I'm doing.
A real Tech could probably do it in 40 min.?
Here is a vid , putting in a 1DIN player like the JVC!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love when a car project comes together and saves the owner a lot of money!
I am installing a harbor freight 2" hitch receiver on my Element this week- $17 and some bolts. I have HD 1/4" angle brackets to attach to the rear of the steel bumper - will be welded on to the bumper, and bolted to the receiver- I also need to fabricate a cross piece from my steel scrap --
A project gives me something to do, during this once in a lifetime pandemic event.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,
Well, got the radio in today and it sounds great!
No problem wiring the arness and the player attached to the OEM casing just like in the vid.
Ran the bluetooth mic also even though I have never used Bluetooth before.
I didn't realize just how bad the stock radio and speakers really were, but this thing shows you.
Thanks for the help and I urge anyone tired of the stock radio to put in an aftermarket.
Not really that hard to do yourself and for $200 it's a no brainer!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts