Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you hot roders out there, The fun is over.

New standards set by the fed's.

Dom

·
Registered
510 Posts
Actually... have you seen the electric car company TESLA? some of the stats there are staggering! Performs like a ferrari! (yea, theyre a little on the expensive side) HERE is their link. It is my hope that with the advent of all this technology that along with gas mileage and efficiency, performance will also see a boost.

I also saw a thing on the company and their performance on the tele a while back... Simply mind boggling!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
They announced the same here:

OTTAWA — Ottawa and Washington are announcing strict new auto emission standards simultaneously Thursday.
Reportedly, car manufacturers will have to improve fuel consumption by 40% by 2016.
That means that for a manufacturer's entire fleet — the models they offer for sale — the average fuel consumption will have to reach 35.5 miles per gallon, or six litres per 100 km by 2016.
Environment Minister Jim Prentice is making the Canadian announcement at a Ford dealership in Ottawa at 12:30 p.m. Thursday. A simultaneous announcement is being made in Washington.
Industry analysts have estimated the new, tighter standards could increase the cost of a new vehicle by about $1,000 by 2016, but the higher cost would be offset quickly by savings in fuel costs.
[email protected]

- So a manufacturer can still make a gas guzzling V8 supercharger, if they offer an electric hybrid 100 mpg as well....but you know they won't

·
Registered
254 Posts
For all you hot roders out there, The fun is over.

New standards set by the fed's.

Dom
Hot roders should be building there own engines not buying a new car. Unless you're the kinda guy that thinks a PT Cruiser is a hot rod.

Besides car companies will do what they have been doing for a while now; make a few pos cars that get amazing mileage to balance out the cars that sacrifice mileage for power.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hot roders should be building there own engines not buying a new car. Unless you're the kinda guy that thinks a PT Cruiser is a hot rod.

Besides car companies will do what they have been doing for a while now; make a few pos cars that get amazing mileage to balance out the cars that sacrifice mileage for power.

Well considering what happened to the 426 Hemi blocks. That is not exactly true. That block is now only manufactured by a third party, or is a re-manufactured old block from the junk yard.

The other side of the coin is the vast majority Just Buy High performance at the dealer.

The old days, of Picking up a new car from the dealer, and taking it home, to have it broken down that night, are gone.
I did that on several of my new cars. I never see that any more. It's usually tearing into a used or a wreck, nowadays. But in my time a new car was less than 3K. Not the 25k and up like it is now.

I suppose all things are relative, but we did not have to contend with Emission Standards ether.

As for the Electric super cars, You can't go far! Try a nonstop trip from Mass. To Indy, like I do every year in May for the Race. Over 985 miles in 17 hours. Only stopping to eat and refuel. Ain't happenen!

Dom

·
Registered
873 Posts
426 gone ??? no you can still get them from mopar performance in about 3 or 4 defrent sizes.evean with efi. but yes the true race block used in mose competition is coming from a few other sorces,indy,anderson,kb, & many other billet cnc blocks. then theres fords 500 block, not sure what all was changed when the 426 was redesined by chet herbert,force, & a few others.I think john force racing is the exclusive mfr &seller on that one.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
426 gone ??? no you can still get them from mopar performance in about 3 or 4 defrent sizes.evean with efi. but yes the true race block used in mose competition is coming from a few other sorces,indy,anderson,kb, & many other billet cnc blocks. then theres fords 500 block, not sure what all was changed when the 426 was redesined by chet herbert,force, & a few others.I think john force racing is the exclusive mfr &seller on that one.
You are in fact correct Mark. But the MoPar block has been lightened to the point that It's useless for Big horsepower. The latest thinking is that the build should not exceed 590 Hp With the New 426 inch MoPar factory block.

Many are using John Force blocks. I believe that one Is alloy not cast iron.

Dom

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
has anyone considered the date of the announcement?
should we be looking for a "gotcha" tomorrow?
<grin>

·
Registered
480 Posts
It just means small displacement and TURBOS!!!
You are absolutely correct. I work for a company that builds ethanol plants. Our engineers and R&D are in daily communication with GM, Ford, John Deere and some independent engine manufacturers / labs. They said over a year ago that by 2016 there would be an enormous reduction in V8 and V6 powerplants. They have been adamant that everything will be a 4 cyl turbo within 10 years. As with everything, I assume there will be exceptions, but I'm sure there will be a new tax to make it as financially unappealing as possible to most of us.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How many people are into making muscle cars or tricking out monster engines. Very few, and many are the same as Harley guys, just looking to make noise. (Cue South Park video clip about HD bikers)

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
My .02 cents worth-
We can do microsurgery on an unborn fetus successfully and can only get 25 MPG (combined) out of an E??!! The technology IS there, it's been advertised over and over, only to become "outerspace" material (READ: oil company buyout?) :? :-(
This has been a LONG time coming, but, we don't have to reduce ourselves to 4 cyl turbos for HP gain. We CAN have a V8 engine with enough HP to tow a boat, but still get decent MPG when NOT towing. If the requirement (IMHO) is done right, then ALL parties can get what they want - good MPG with power and performance when needed. The operative word(s) is "done right", and, if the current administration continues its ways, that won't be the case. :shock::x

Diesels are a GREAT option, but, not when diesel prices are .20-.30 more than Premium. It's not going to happen. Many diesels, in other countries, are getting 50-70MPG, without any mods.:|

Guess I should buy that 429 on craigslist before it becomes against the law.....:-:)lol::lol:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not just the Cubic inch displacement! It's the tighter emission standards that go with it. It will put a risk the people that do Increase the size of the injectors, or add a turbo. Engines will have flow values from the factory, that if modified will put them in violation of the law. It's like what they did to carbs. Sealed them!

More information will be introduced today! We'll get a chance to take a look at the GUTS of this law.

Dom

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
In Washington, they already accepted it, and certain cars can not be sold here. They're trying to make it so you can't sell a car private party that has bad emissions or fuel ratings. Stupid.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is the next discussion going to complain about not adding lead to fuel anymore? It is called progress folks, deal with it. Maybe we can complain about the safety mandates like airbags after that.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the next discussion going to complain about not adding lead to fuel anymore? It is called progress folks, deal with it. Maybe we can complain about the safety mandates like airbags after that.
I could not agree less! Progress would be more power, No Petroleum fuel whatsoever.

That would be Progress.

Dom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts