Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to redo my 13Av.2 Box. This will go behind the back right rear seat. The port would be made out of regular 6" pvc and then used a roundover bit to flare the port a little bit. After speaker and port displacement the box is almost *exactly* 2.0 ft3 @ 30hz. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
557 Posts
GOOGLE SKETCHUP! at least it looks like it. Anyway, I like the design, you sure you don't want a square-type port that would come off of 2 90* angles? You got a lot of room in that box to do that, it would also give you a little more interior air volume for the "non-port" housing. Just a thought. I used to build large speaker boxes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, good ole easy to use and free sketchup. Also just for clarification, the hole on the left would be the port, I didn't draw the whole port out, but it would be "L" shaped and flared at the other end as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep, good ole easy to use and free sketchup. Also just for clarification, the hole on the left would be the port, I didn't draw the whole port out, but it would be "L" shaped and flared at the other end as well.
Oh ok, well, then it sounds like you got it right. I'd do it, but draw up a couple more maybe and make sure that's what you want. Google sketchup is awesome, I use it to do a lot of quick projects, but I usually do the final drawing (if it's that important) on CAD.

Also, are you going with simplicity for the box's final exterior shape? Or do you mind making a few more angles? Cause I have some ideas.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a view from the back:

Here's another one I did.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NEXT! This one is 2.5 ft3 @ 32hz. dual 4" aeroports. Should come right up to the top of the seat. But I'm going to have to make a mockup out of cardboard or something to insure that i have all the angles and everything correct.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like the first one the best. See, to me, I like more complexity in a shape. It makes it feel like I truly built it. AS for the last two you made, they are cool yes, but too simple if you ask me. I Think something even more innovative would be to honeycomb the back as well and widen the box. Hold on, I'm downloading google-sketchup myself and I'm going to draw with you to better show you what I'm taking about.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would make it wider, however I'm trying to keep the box a reasonable size... otherwise I would have followed through with putting in my 2 18's :D I've still got a couple ideas, and I'm sure I'll have a bunch of designs to chose from by the time I get around to actually making the next box. I'm definitely open to whatever ideas you throw out though. Another one I'm looking at is a bit shallower (about 14~15" deep) and 15" tall, but runs the whole width of the cargo area. I gotta stop fiddling around on here tonight though. I've got a big physio exam tomorrow and I've gotta do well to 'graduate' in the near future. Post what you come up with though. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I like the second one personally, it looks compact and not over done, would be a clean and light wieght box, just my $.02.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha. Just remembered why I nixed the 2nd one... its 27 deep.... which is how deep the cargo area is. It'd be jackhammering into the tailgate. Its tricky to get a box that is 2-2.5 ft3, w/ 35+ in2 port area and have a silly little angle in the back so the seat can be at a comfortable angle.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
with all this talk and messing around with "CAD" drawing the thing up you could have built all these with a table saw and some MDF at this point...;-)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Meh, I use the saw included in the leatherman multi-tool. All by eye no measuring. :cool:

Hey Peasley, here's an idear. Just use the driver's side rear window as an infinite baffle. It would cool to have the back of your sub sticking out of the car. ;-)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Meh, I use the saw included in the leatherman multi-tool. All by eye no measuring. :cool:

Hey Peasley, here's an idear. Just use the driver's side rear window as an infinite baffle. It would cool to have the back of your sub sticking out of the car. ;-)
Until it just blows out the glass and flies out the side of the car. I thought about that. It reminds me of that roof of boom car. Can't find a pic... damn.
It was just a car with two huge 15" subs magnets on the top of the vehicle like an infinite baffle and the cone face on the inside on the ceiling.

The leatherman saw is alright, and I've used it before to cut through solid steel, but find it much harder to cut through MDF with it, so I just use my bear hands and basically rip the piece in half to make a cut. It's always perfectly clean too.:cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got my name all spelled out in my user name and you still mispell it? Well, that's the life of a peaslee I guess. Haha.

Maybe I'll have the basket all rhino lined too :D I'd love to try out an infinite baffle, but don't think thats gonna happen in the E. I finally went and got a protractor, so I'm gonna see what the angle actually is and draft up a new box. As far as drafting and not cutting, I gotta mock it up somehow, and to me its quicker and more accurate in sketchup. Takes about 10-15 mins a box. Definitely takes a bit longer to make one, especially when adding angles and slot ports and bracing. Plus its free to draft it up, costs money and have to borrow a car to get the wood. Oh, and I gotta go to the parents house to use pop's table saw.

On the plus side I got the new headunit installed and setup. (Pioneer Premier fh-p800 bt) Just waiting on new amp and getting some rear fill speakers.... and a new sub box :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I got a small table-saw and stuff to do work in my garage, only problem is when I need a jig, then I have to go to the shop to take care of that. It's better to draw a box than wait till its built to be disatisfied with the work. I want to make two boxes for my wheel wells to put 6X9's in to face forward.], and I'm going to use this sketchup to do it. Not as clean as CAD but it works for a short drawing. You know what they say, measure once, cut twice.:cool:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
For a moment I thought it could be J. P. Easley (Easlee).

I think Sketch Up is great. You definitely have some skills using the program. I want to try and design my box with it but it's curvy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
For a moment I thought it could be J. P. Easley (Easlee).

I think Sketch Up is great. You definitely have some skills using the program. I want to try and design my box with it but it's curvy.
I'm all for the sketchup program, but designt it the old fassion way... with an mdf skeleton and some fleece :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts