Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! My wife just had a baby girl. She loves her carseat but not the sun beaming down on her. I had the sunroof tinted. It helped, but not that much. I rigged something to stop the light coming in from above. But that kept falling on my baby and wife. Neither of them was amused! So, I designed this new sunshade. It works awesome! It blocks out about 98% of the light and keeps the E a little cooler during the day. It installs/uninstalls in seconds. When it is not being used, it just rolls up. It is held up by suction cups. It can even be used while glass is in open position. Hope the pictures are OK! Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
GREAT idea!

I have my sunroof tinted as well but, like you, would like to block out the light completely at times (parked at the beach when using the E as a basecamp while kayaking for eg.)

How are the suction cups attached?

Can you post pictures of the other side?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Cool

DOODELEMENT said:
Hello! My wife just had a baby girl. She loves her carseat but not the sun beaming down on her. I had the sunroof tinted. It helped, but not that much. I rigged something to stop the light coming in from above. But that kept falling on my baby and wife. Neither of them was amused! So, I designed this new sunshade. It works awesome! It blocks out about 98% of the light and keeps the E a little cooler during the day. It installs/uninstalls in seconds. When it is not being used, it just rolls up. It is held up by suction cups. It can even be used while glass is in open position. Hope the pictures are OK! Let me know what you think. Thanks!
I like it. Did you cut it yourself..to fit? I am using the stock version and it seems to take up to much head room...:cool:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I too am most interested in your mod. Anxiously awaiting details on materials and mounting. (Great for those naps when Mrs. IRV is entertaining the four darling grand kids).:cool:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunshade Update

Dear PVP - Suction cups are attattched va a plastic type grommet. They are very secure. I added two additional pictures. One with the reflective coating and one with it rolled up for when not in use.

ADAMLSTL - No, I did not cut this myself. I had it professionally made by manufacturer. It fits very nicely into the roofline.

IRV - Shade was custom made with the best materials. It is white on the interior side. The other side is similar to a thick, padded foil. The edges are all stitched so that nothing frays. P.S. Pretty sneaky with the grandchildren!

I am trying to get a quote from the manufacturer to produce more of them. This device makes my E a hell of a lot cooler. Even with the 100 degree temperatures we are having now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought 2 retractable sunshades and mounted them up there to keep the sun off our baby. They seem to work well. I like having the sun come in.

Your idea is good as well. I would work well to reduce heating.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunshade Update!

Just got a response back from the manufacturer. The cost would be about $40.00 + actual shipping. The shade does not weigh that much. So, I could probably ship them via Priority mail or Fed Ex Ground for between $4-$8. That all depends on where you live. Let me know if there is any interest out there. Thanks!

·
Banned
311 Posts
I will take one. You have done all the work. My time is money and time I need to spend with the collies working on their herding skills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Count me in for one also!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm a newbie E-man and ran into the same issue of my 2yo getting beamed last weekend. Texas...very bright, very hot this time of hear :|

So anybody try the Honda screen accessory for the sunroof that claims to block the sun? You can get 'em from HandA's site for $60 but I wasn't sure if it was a waste of money.

I've seen that film you can put on yourself thats made to work like one of those retractable baby screens. I wasn't sure if anybody looked into that. Saw it on a kiddie accessory site and was gonna try it on the wife's wagon. Works off static electricity like those oil change stickers. wonder if it'll work horizontal vs vertical on a side window?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
tkobrian said:
I'm a newbie E-man and ran into the same issue of my 2yo getting beamed last weekend. Texas...very bright, very hot this time of hear :|

So anybody try the Honda screen accessory for the sunroof that claims to block the sun? You can get 'em from HandA's site for $60 but I wasn't sure if it was a waste of money.

I've seen that film you can put on yourself thats made to work like one of those retractable baby screens. I wasn't sure if anybody looked into that. Saw it on a kiddie accessory site and was gonna try it on the wife's wagon. Works off static electricity like those oil change stickers. wonder if it'll work horizontal vs vertical on a side window?
I have one... It's OK... It seems to take up head room in the back. It kinda keeps the bugs out without the glass piece in. :|

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunshade

OK, I just placed my order for the sunshades. They advised they should arrive around 8/11/06. I asked about putting an Element logo on it. They said they used to offer that. But, stopped since the ink/paint was heating up in the sun. I will keep everyone posted and let you know when they arrive. Thanks for all of the input. D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doodelement, how many sunshades did you order? I'd like to get one too:)

tkobrian:I have one of those static cling shades attached to my sunroof, it does help a bit, but it still gets fairly warm in the back seat.

Rod

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rod,
I ordered 25 to start. I will most likely PM everyone who wants one and have transactions through Paypal. Thanks! D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I was just thinking about this yesterday. With all this hot weather lately in So Cal, I could use this. Put me down for one also. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts