Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... A few days ago my cruise control stopped working... I checked fuses number 7 a number 14 of the forum suggested and they were both okay... I went to the dealer who suggested that I try holding down the set button... But this didn't work. They told me it sounded like the switch and would cost about 200 dollars installed... I dropped the car off today and they called me a few hours later to tell me that it was not the switch but that the throttle body needed to be replaced, at a cost of about $750. Of course I was hoping it was the switch or even better yet the cable... And being far from home on a cross country road trip I authorized the service...

Long story short I'm now having buyers remorse because I read on this forum and also heard from other people that a bad throttle body would result in rough idle and other performance issues.

So I'm wondering is it possible to have a throttle body that needs replacement and no symptoms at all.. Other than a non functioning cruise control?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So.... A few days ago my cruise control stopped working... I checked fuses number 7 a number 14 of the forum suggested and they were both okay... I went to the dealer who suggested that I try holding down the set button... But this didn't work. They told me it sounded like the switch and would cost about 200 dollars installed... I dropped the car off today and they called me a few hours later to tell me that it was not the switch but that the throttle body needed to be replaced, at a cost of about $750. Of course I was hoping it was the switch or even better yet the cable... And being far from home on a cross country road trip I authorized the service...

Long story short I'm now having buyers remorse because I read on this forum and also heard from other people that a bad throttle body would result in rough idle and other performance issues.

So I'm wondering is it possible to have a throttle body that needs replacement and no symptoms at all.. Other than a non functioning cruise control?

Thanks!
I should also mention that this dealer has a very good reputation in the area...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cruise control cable cam on the throttle body is made of plastic and it's fairly common for it to break. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part, you have to replace the whole throttle body! Kinda a dumb design if you ask me!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
$950 is a lot of money to have cruise control on a 10 year old vehicle. I would have to go old school and drive without it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$950 is a lot of money to have cruise control on a 10 year old vehicle. I would have to go old school and drive without it.
I hear ya.. But I've got thousands of miles left, I'm in the first third of a cross country trip and also plan on keeping this car for many more years. Plus who would wanna buy it if /when I eventually sell it, worth no cruise control.. Also it was 725$ not 950$.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cruise control cable cam on the throttle body is made of plastic and it's fairly common for it to break. Unfortunately you can't replace just that part, you have to replace the whole throttle body! Kinda a dumb design if you ask me!!
Couldn't agree more! I just hope it wasn't the cable... Them again I'll never know!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my '05 a few months back - throttle body itself was fine but the cam for the cruise control cable was broken. The dealer's mechanic actually managed to fix it while I waited for the new part to come in and it worked for a few days but it eventually broke again.

Fortunately I didn't have to pay for the new TB, not sure if I would have coughed up $750 just to have cruise myself...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts