Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a discussion on this and found nothing, which makes me think my Honda dealer service department is trying to sell me something I don't need.

For my upcoming state inspection, I will need new tires. I get my E serviced at the dealer (I know, save it - it's a very convenient location, and I have not found anywhere that I trust any more than them). At my last scheduled maintenance, we discussed the tires, and the service tech said that they recommend some sort of special full alignment when I put on new tires, and not everyone can do it. Note, I have an 07 AWD.

Does this make sense to anyone? I would especially like to hear from people who service Es.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
It's usually a good idea to check the alignment whenever you install new tires.Although if your vehicle tracks straight and your tire wear looks really good,you might be fine.Personally I always like to have it checked,since there's really no sense in chewing up a new set of tires.Oh and a lot of places can do four wheel alignments.:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I too get my E serviced at the dealer, but I just got new tires from Discount Tire. Better selection, lower cost, free tire rotations. And it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes take a look at your car.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
No need to align anything if you are just replacing tires. They are trying to sell you snake oil

Tires are balanced once installed on the rims. It's one of the most basic jobs there is - right after an oil change - you don't even have to be a technician to do it, as the machine does everything except put the weight on the rim.

If your vehicle doesn't track exactly as it did before the new tires, then take them back, and have them all rebalanced by someone else in the shop, because the guy who did it obviously doesn't know how to operate the machine. If they got one wrong, then they probably got them all wrong...lol
(but seriously, balancing machines tell them exactly how much weight, and where to put them...)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Ditto. Don't succumb to the alignment sales pitch if there were no abnormal wear issues with the old set, unless you know that you recently smacked a curb or a nasty pothole and have concerns.

Best rule of thumb here? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For that matter, I've had tire shop techs do me no favors by screwing up a perfectly good alignment for no reason. I finally gave up on the crap they were pawning off as "precision alignments" and learned how to do it myself.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
New tires.. have the alignment checked. Why would anyone take a chance of premature wear on a new set. There is nothing special about setting up a stock element, only the toe is adjustable. Make sure it was set to spec by asking for a print out of before and after adjustment. Most alignments are under $99.00.

I always seem to be at odds with the above poster(s).

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
SteveMac

So new tires... whats the plan? I'm real happy with 225/70/16 michelin lattitudes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No specific plan for what tires to buy. I will get some prices from the dealer and some tire places and see what I find out. Everything tracks nice and straight. Thanks for the replies, and if anyone else has any thoughts, I'm still interested in hearing about them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have an 07 with enough miles on it to have gone through a set of tires, personally I would have the alignment done.

Here's my reasoning: The vehicle was aligned at the factory over two years ago and ???? miles. In that time those new springs have settled some and the other suspension parts have worn slightly. To me, that would justify an alignment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer wants to put me into tires that run $149 each plus about $20 each for installation. The local Pep Boys is offering Definity Dakota H/Ts for $600 for four, installed, with a rebate back for one of them (about $90). Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I paid $130 each for Michelin LTX's 2 years ago, installed...and that's a fair price for Michelin's up here...

I've only ever seen a $5 charge for install and balancing, so I think $20 each is too much!

Seriously people, if you really want to get an alignment when you replace your tires, then go ahead, it's your $$$, but believe me when I say it's a waste of money....3 years as a parts supervisor at Canadian Tire many years ago, and selling the same pitch for every set of tires I sold, then the 'gifts' I got from the installers showed me the light...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
the service tech said that they recommend some sort of special full alignment when I put on new tires, and not everyone can do it.
That is major BS. You could do it yourself if you wanted to take the time.

New tires.. have the alignment checked. Why would anyone take a chance of premature wear on a new set.
If your old tires do not show abnormal wear patterns then an alignment is not needed. As you said an Element alignment is essentially just setting the toe and that is definitely not worth $99.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I went with the Pep Boys brand - Definity Dakota H/T, for $90 each (made by Cooper). The reviews were OK. I could have gotten better but I would have paid a lot more. Plus, Pep Boys has this deal where you get a rebate for one if you buy four, but as usual, there's a catch - you need to buy a road hazard warranty.

I was not aware of the requirement, so I told the sale guy I didn't need a road hazard warranty (it was on the invoice) and he explained this to me. I told him that in forty years of driving, I had never needed a road hazard warning, so he tried to convince me of their value. :D

I told him he did not have to bother since it was fifty bucks for the warranty and it got me back $90, so the math worked.

I got four tires, brakes front and rear and a PA state inspection. The basic cost was about $850, but I will get the tire rebate plus a Pep Boys rebate that total about $130. Not a bad deal. The Honda dealer would have been $400 more.

I felt like with 52,000 miles on my E, that's reasonable brake and tire wear. Both were original, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts