Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick background of myself. Just sold my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi as the used car market right now is insane. I sold it for more than I purchased it so couldn’t pass that up. Before that, I was a German car guy. Owned 3 Volkswagens and 1 Audi. Done numerous suspension and engine work on them, so I know a few things about cars. This will be my first Honda.

I needed something spacious since I was coming from a truck and I really wanted manual transmission. And something that just needed to last a couple years to save for a house before getting into another car payment. Looked at a03 Element EX Sport AWD yesterday and came to an agreement with the seller. He is dropping it off to me tomorrow.

It’s got a 5 speed manual transmission and 250k miles. Recent mechanical work is as follows: valve adjustment, new starter, front calipers and pads, ac compressor, battery, alternator, throttle body, evap purge valve, OEM oil pan and gasket.

At around 150k shocks, radiator and intake manifold gasket were replaced. Looks to be have well maintained inside and out. Includes receipts and service records.

Only work it needs is the driveshaft (only FWD right now) and front rotors. And I believe sway bar links which he has and is giving them with the sale. I’m very mechanically inclined and will do all this work myself. Any tips installing the driveshaft?

Some goodies are installed as well. 17” black rhino wheels wrapped in 225/65 toyo open county tires. Alpine head unit with apple car play and Yakima roof rack.

I’m excited for it to arrive tomorrow and start making it my own. Unfortunately the state of NY has crappy DMV scheduling and the next available appointment isn’t until June 21 so I’m gonna be just looking at it in my driveway until then. Here’s some pics

Thanks for reading!
-Anthony
12ED70E9-0F3C-4E2D-8B1F-0F25E8D7F4B3.jpeg
B6AEF3C5-ABA7-4397-A73F-0C7BCEA408D9.jpeg
909E556B-04AE-43CC-8CDB-3B6BD8643A00.jpeg
FBA5EAAF-30D0-4C78-9AAD-C1CB28604F56.jpeg

·
Registered
2004 element ex Auto Trans 234,000miles
95 Posts
Hey everyone, quick background of myself. Just sold my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi as the used car market right now is insane. I sold it for more than I purchased it so couldn’t pass that up. Before that, I was a German car guy. Owned 3 Volkswagens and 1 Audi. Done numerous suspension and engine work on them, so I know a few things about cars. This will be my first Honda.

I needed something spacious since I was coming from a truck and I really wanted manual transmission. And something that just needed to last a couple years to save for a house before getting into another car payment. Looked at a03 Element EX Sport AWD yesterday and came to an agreement with the seller. He is dropping it off to me tomorrow.

It’s got a 5 speed manual transmission and 250k miles. Recent mechanical work is as follows: valve adjustment, new starter, front calipers and pads, ac compressor, battery, alternator, throttle body, evap purge valve, OEM oil pan and gasket.

At around 150k shocks, radiator and intake manifold gasket were replaced. Looks to be have well maintained inside and out. Includes receipts and service records.

Only work it needs is the driveshaft (only FWD right now) and front rotors. And I believe sway bar links which he has and is giving them with the sale. I’m very mechanically inclined and will do all this work myself. Any tips installing the driveshaft?

Some goodies are installed as well. 17” black rhino wheels wrapped in 225/65 toyo open county tires. Alpine head unit with apple car play and Yakima roof rack.

I’m excited for it to arrive tomorrow and start making it my own. Unfortunately the state of NY has crappy DMV scheduling and the next available appointment isn’t until June 21 so I’m gonna be just looking at it in my driveway until then. Here’s some pics

Thanks for reading!
-Anthony View attachment 209576 View attachment 209577 View attachment 209578 View attachment 209579
Wow look at those front seats...I'm jealous! Welcome to ELEMENT OWNERS CLUB AND the Galapagos Green family..

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
148 Posts
Nice! And very clean! I especially like those wheels. Are they an OEM variant?

Reactions: Sgambots91

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Yeah I was pleased to see how good the condition of the seats were as I’ve heard those start to go.

And the wheels are made by Black Rhino

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
426 Posts
Welcome Anthony @Sgambots91 ... Nice wheels!
(I considered a bronze when I had some SC wheels refinished... I ended up with Magnetic Gray Metallic...)

You desired a manual with utility... ended up with GGM Element... I think you and I will get along famously...

Part of my collection... :ROFLMAO: (y)

Cheers!
Brad

·
Registered
2004 element ex Auto Trans 234,000miles
95 Posts
Welcome Anthony @Sgambots91 ... Nice wheels!
(I considered a bronze when I had some SC wheels refinished... I ended up with Magnetic Gray Metallic...)

You desired a manual with utility... ended up with GGM Element... I think you and I will get along famously...

Part of my collection... :ROFLMAO: (y)

Cheers!
Brad

View attachment 209583
Nice Brad. I want window vents for mine but haven't picked any yet.i see slight differences in the style on each of yours..u have a prefference or notice a difference between noise,fitment or performance or anything ?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Full disclosure (my GGM Brethren)...
Car on the right is "Zippy" and the car on the left is a vehicle that I initially purchased for parts... (engine runs OK, suspension SHOT, trans questionable)

I'm almost ashamed to say the parts car has an automatic transmission... :sick:
It may become a valued 1st project car for an early teen in my home...
It may become another off-roader...
(My -not pictured- beat-to-death 07 SC is slated for an interesting Rock Buggy future as it is...)

Only time will tell.... (<~~pronounced: depends on how many parts must be re-used from parts car...)

Cheers fellas!
Brad

Reactions: Sgambots91

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks for reading!
-Anthony View attachment 209576 View attachment 209577 View attachment 209578 View attachment 209579

Thanks for reading!
Nice green machine!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for reading!
Nice green machine!
Love your green element, a question what is the going rate to buy an element

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm also a long time VW guy who recently bought two Elements (long story) for the same reasons you did, except I don't drive my 92 Dodge truck in the Ohio salt so I needed something to haul stuff in bad weather.

I had a first gen CRX years ago and some older Accords but not much else by Honda.

I don't know where you are located or what VW's you've owned but these Elements dent really easily and they rust like crazy compared to any VW but a Mk 3. Also, the 5MT gearing is like most VW's prior to late Mk 6 and all 5MT Subarus.....screaming RPM's in 5th on the highway.

Other than those points, I really like the Element. One of mine is lowered 1.5" and that really changes the handling for the better IMHO.

If yours isn't rusty anywhere, $3,200 is a really good deal. If you can even find one around here, they are generally at least $4k and probably rusted somewhere bad.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm also a long time VW guy who recently bought two Elements (long story) for the same reasons you did, except I don't drive my 92 Dodge truck in the Ohio salt so I needed something to haul stuff in bad weather.

I had a first gen CRX years ago and some older Accords but not much else by Honda.

I don't know where you are located or what VW's you've owned but these Elements dent really easily and they rust like crazy compared to any VW but a Mk 3. Also, the 5MT gearing is like most VW's prior to late Mk 6 and all 5MT Subarus.....screaming RPM's in 5th on the highway.

Other than those points, I really like the Element. One of mine is lowered 1.5" and that really changes the handling for the better IMHO.

If yours isn't rusty anywhere, $3,200 is a really good deal. If you can even find one around here, they are generally at least $4k and probably rusted somewhere bad.

Good luck!
I had a mk4 GTI vr6, mk4 R32, mk5 R32 and a B8 Audi A4. All great cars. Audi gave me the most headaches. Never had any rusting issues with my German car. I actually looked at a mkv golf 2.5 the other day and passenger rear rocker was pretty badly rusted. Was surprised to see that.

I’m in Orange County NY, so definitely deal with salt. The Honda is in great shape, I couldn’t identify any rust when inspecting it. Granted it was a quick 5 minute visual inspection. Have yet to throw it on a lift and really get in there. But didn’t see any rotting anywhere in the frame or any areas of major concern.

If I get another 50-75k out of it I’ll be more than happy

I’d definitely be interested in lowering it but not sure how the wife will feel about it. All my VW’s and the Audi were lowered and she seems over that phase lol

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
...I’d definitely be interested in lowering it but not sure how the wife will feel about it. All my VW’s and the Audi were lowered and she seems over that phase lol
I love the way Zippy drives and rides with BC Racing coil-overs... That gets me about 1" lower... (with adjustable ride height)
And they are also adjustable from firm to soft (some 30 levels!) for ride quality... See my pic above for side by side comparison... (although lumpy ground not helping visually)

For as much as I'm enjoying driving Zippy again, I'm honestly a little mad at myself for not doing that suspension upgrade sooner...
And also the stock Acura TSX front brake upgrade... (Lookup: Callahan CCK02318)
I'll never put stock Element brakes on the front of an Element again.

You did well on the purchase...

Brad

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX
31 Posts
I love the way Zippy drives and rides with BC Racing coil-overs... That gets me about 1" lower... (with adjustable ride height)
And they are also adjustable from firm to soft (some 30 levels!) for ride quality... See my pic above for side by side comparison... (although lumpy ground not helping visually)

For as much as I'm enjoying driving Zippy again, I'm honestly a little mad at myself for not doing that suspension upgrade sooner...

Brad
Can you elaborate on your comment about the stock brakes? What's wrong with the stock version?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a mk4 GTI vr6, mk4 R32, mk5 R32 and a B8 Audi A4. All great cars. Audi gave me the most headaches. Never had any rusting issues with my German car. I actually looked at a mkv golf 2.5 the other day and passenger rear rocker was pretty badly rusted. Was surprised to see that.

I’m in Orange County NY, so definitely deal with salt. The Honda is in great shape, I couldn’t identify any rust when inspecting it. Granted it was a quick 5 minute visual inspection. Have yet to throw it on a lift and really get in there. But didn’t see any rotting anywhere in the frame or any areas of major concern.

If I get another 50-75k out of it I’ll be more than happy

I’d definitely be interested in lowering it but not sure how the wife will feel about it. All my VW’s and the Audi were lowered and she seems over that phase lol
Mine's good in a lot of problem areas, the backing plates for the brakes are still there for example and the suspension mounts are good so I think it spent some time outside of Ohio. The rear bumper bar is pretty crusty, though. Mine both have some extremely haphazard undercoating that appears to be factory, so you'll probably want to improve that.

The Element isn't like a lot of lowered VWs, it isn't choppy or bouncing off of the bump stops, even with the inexpensive racing springs on there. I drove a stock height Element back from Tennessee a few weeks ago and it was completely different than the lowered one, I'll be lowering the Tennessee car at some point.

I posted a photo of the two of mine side by side in the Suspension forum so people would know what a lowered car would look like before doing it. Here is the post:

Mk4's did pretty well around here as well, except for behind the front wheels. You had the go fast versions, I've mostly had TDI's and 2.0's, only VR6 I've owned was transplanted into a Mk2 Jetta Ecodiesel (with all diesel badges intact, which was a lot of fun). I'm old enough to have driven aircooleds as daily drivers, had have a quantity of most every generation of watercooled right up to my current 2015 Golf TDI. Have a set of 2019 GTI plaid seats for it, whenever I find time to do it. Have a Vanagon partially through a Subaru swap and a 69 beetle mostly in boxes of parts. No Audis, my B5 Passat was so much expensive trouble that I never got a "full" Audi, haha.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Can you elaborate on your comment about the stock brakes? What's wrong with the stock version?
Sure! There's nothing wrong with the stock Element front brakes, but the stock Acura TSX front brakes bolt on (with small bend or trim to dust cover)...
The stock Acura TSX setup is easily available... (from about anywhere) has larger pads, larger pistons in the beefier calipers, and larger diameter & thicker rotors.
In my humble opinion, this data makes the "right choice" fairly obvious to me... and it means that I'll never put stock Element brakes on another Element as long as I live.

Hope that helps! :giggle: (y)

Brad

Back to your regularly scheduled welcome thread with copious amounts of German engineering sprinkled throughout...

Reactions: mr_manny and 888

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Brad
Thank you I feel I got a good deal on it despite the mileage. I heard the manuals aren’t easy to come by either so that’s another score. Briefly reading the forums here, I see some have 300k+ miles on them so I’m not too worried. It seems to have a good maintenance history and I always take care of my vehicles so I plan to drive this awhile.

I also am probably going to gut the back seats and make a little camper out of it. I’ve seen some cool ideas on Instagram. Another reason I’m skeptical on lowering it. Don’t wanna get stuck anywhere lol

Thanks for the all the recommendations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine's good in a lot of problem areas, the backing plates for the brakes are still there for example and the suspension mounts are good so I think it spent some time outside of Ohio. The rear bumper bar is pretty crusty, though. Mine both have some extremely haphazard undercoating that appears to be factory, so you'll probably want to improve that.

The Element isn't like a lot of lowered VWs, it isn't choppy or bouncing off of the bump stops, even with the inexpensive racing springs on there. I drove a stock height Element back from Tennessee a few weeks ago and it was completely different than the lowered one, I'll be lowering the Tennessee car at some point.

I posted a photo of the two of mine side by side in the Suspension forum so people would know what a lowered car would look like before doing it. Here is the post:

Mk4's did pretty well around here as well, except for behind the front wheels. You had the go fast versions, I've mostly had TDI's and 2.0's, only VR6 I've owned was transplanted into a Mk2 Jetta Ecodiesel (with all diesel badges intact, which was a lot of fun). I'm old enough to have driven aircooleds as daily drivers, had have a quantity of most every generation of watercooled right up to my current 2015 Golf TDI. Have a set of 2019 GTI plaid seats for it, whenever I find time to do it. Have a Vanagon partially through a Subaru swap and a 69 beetle mostly in boxes of parts. No Audis, my B5 Passat was so much expensive trouble that I never got a "full" Audi, haha.
Sounds like you had your fair share of VW experiences. Definitely didn’t think I’d come across a VW enthusiast on a Honda forum but thanks for chatting!

I’m definitely not ruling out lowering just yet. Probably drive it for a couple months before making any decisions.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts