Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
420 Posts
BC Racing (and I'm sure others?) make a longer length version of the same BR Series for stock height or even lifted height...
No matter your eventual desired height, I would recommend BC Racing... that's how much I like them.
I selected the normal height (giving me 1" drop) because I swapped in Element SC pieces like tires and sway bars...
The Element SC naturally sits 1" lower than my EX-S, so that is where I ended up...

The only VW I have owned was a 1915cc air-cooled (dual webber) Woods Style Rail Buggy... 6 rib bus trans with 3 rib gears... Cutting brakes... maybe1400 pounds...
Sooooo much fun, that thing was a BEAST... I'd launch the whole thing 3 feet off the ground when I could find the right slope (off-road)..
I'd come around, swap passengers, and do it again... BEAST.

Brad

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX
29 Posts
Sure! There's nothing wrong with the stock Element front brakes, but the stock Acura TSX front brakes bolt on (with small bend or trim to dust cover)...
The stock Acura TSX setup is easily available... (from about anywhere) has larger pads, larger pistons in the beefier calipers, and larger diameter & thicker rotors.
In my humble opinion, this data makes the "right choice" fairly obvious to me... and it means that I'll never put stock Element brakes on another Element as long as I live.

Hope that helps! :giggle: (y)

Brad

Back to your regularly scheduled welcome thread with copious amounts of German engineering sprinkled throughout...
Let me hijack this a bit more due to my ignorance. Due to the factors you cited, does that just increase the braking power? Or does it also improve the "feel" in any particular way?

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
420 Posts
...does it also improve the "feel" in any particular way?
My qualitative experience of the "feel" of the stock Acura TSX front brakes is -again, in my opinion- improved.

I cannot give quantitative data to support that, nor do I feel I need to...
If you research threads specific to this topic on this forum you will find resounding support for my feeling in other's expressed opinions.

Your mileage may vary,
Brad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just ordered a new shift knob and boot off Amazon. Hopefully it looks good.

Any recommendations for removing the shifter boot?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just ordered a new shift knob and boot off Amazon. Hopefully it looks good.

Any recommendations for removing the shifter boot?
Not yet, but I'll be watching this too. My Tennessee E came with an nice aftermarket counterweighted cue ball style shifter knob and boot but I actually prefer the feel of the stock unit so I'll be reinstalling the factory parts. I think it's just a matter of prying off the trim around the shifter boot and removing the boot from the trim (after unthreading the knob, of course). If I get time to do this, I'll update here.
Currently trying to get a house in selling condition as quickly as possible after losing this past week to oral surgery recovery so I haven't had time to do any car stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not yet, but I'll be watching this too. My Tennessee E came with an nice aftermarket counterweighted cue ball style shifter knob and boot but I actually prefer the feel of the stock unit so I'll be reinstalling the factory parts. I think it's just a matter of prying off the trim around the shifter boot and removing the boot from the trim (after unthreading the knob, of course). If I get time to do this, I'll update here.
Currently trying to get a house in selling condition as quickly as possible after losing this past week to oral surgery recovery so I haven't had time to do any car stuff.
Thanks that would awesome. Good luck with the house

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks that would awesome. Good luck with the house
Here you go:

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT in Orange
93 Posts
Welcome to the Famil-E! 🥳

Well kept Ellie's are always nice to see getting into the hand of those who care, but even so MY MY those seats are PERFECT!

An amazing car at an amazing price for you indeed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Welcome to the Famil-E!

Well kept Ellie's are always nice to see getting into the hand of those who care, but even so MY MY those seats are PERFECT!

An amazing car at an amazing price for you indeed.
Thanks!

Always good to hear that I got a good deal!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here you go:
Before, during and after pics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone, quick background of myself. Just sold my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi as the used car market right now is insane. I sold it for more than I purchased it so couldn’t pass that up. Before that, I was a German car guy. Owned 3 Volkswagens and 1 Audi. Done numerous suspension and engine work on them, so I know a few things about cars. This will be my first Honda.

I needed something spacious since I was coming from a truck and I really wanted manual transmission. And something that just needed to last a couple years to save for a house before getting into another car payment. Looked at a03 Element EX Sport AWD yesterday and came to an agreement with the seller. He is dropping it off to me tomorrow.

It’s got a 5 speed manual transmission and 250k miles. Recent mechanical work is as follows: valve adjustment, new starter, front calipers and pads, ac compressor, battery, alternator, throttle body, evap purge valve, OEM oil pan and gasket.

At around 150k shocks, radiator and intake manifold gasket were replaced. Looks to be have well maintained inside and out. Includes receipts and service records.

Only work it needs is the driveshaft (only FWD right now) and front rotors. And I believe sway bar links which he has and is giving them with the sale. I’m very mechanically inclined and will do all this work myself. Any tips installing the driveshaft?

Some goodies are installed as well. 17” black rhino wheels wrapped in 225/65 toyo open county tires. Alpine head unit with apple car play and Yakima roof rack.

I’m excited for it to arrive tomorrow and start making it my own. Unfortunately the state of NY has crappy DMV scheduling and the next available appointment isn’t until June 21 so I’m gonna be just looking at it in my driveway until then. Here’s some pics

Thanks for reading!
-Anthony View attachment 209576 View attachment 209577 View attachment 209578 View attachment 209579
For your own peace of mind, learn to get into her and not slide in as you will tear up the edge of the seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like you had your fair share of VW experiences. Definitely didn’t think I’d come across a VW enthusiast on a Honda forum but thanks for chatting!

I’m definitely not ruling out lowering just yet. Probably drive it for a couple months before making any decisions.
I am a lifelong VAG enthusiast.
Just sold my jetta tdi, we also have a mk1 tt 225 (survived the gear fork issue, just had it tuned, currently upgrading the inner cooler) had a vanagon, diesel rabbit , quantum... I can’t remember them all lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
About kitting your E out for camping: We built a camping platform based on instructions on EOC, and have been super happy with it. We have two Elements (the first one we bought was FWD and the second one was AWD) and will probably be selling the original 2007 one with 180K miles soon. The platform fits either one, and makes storage/packing for camping a snap. It's a tight sleep for both of us, but we've done it a few times with us - and a yellow lab - when it was raining. It's perfect for one, though! I only wish we had more clearance - there are times when it's touch and go on the back roads of Southern UT and Arizona.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone, quick background of myself. Just sold my 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi as the used car market right now is insane. I sold it for more than I purchased it so couldn’t pass that up. Before that, I was a German car guy. Owned 3 Volkswagens and 1 Audi. Done numerous suspension and engine work on them, so I know a few things about cars. This will be my first Honda.

I needed something spacious since I was coming from a truck and I really wanted manual transmission. And something that just needed to last a couple years to save for a house before getting into another car payment. Looked at a03 Element EX Sport AWD yesterday and came to an agreement with the seller. He is dropping it off to me tomorrow.

It’s got a 5 speed manual transmission and 250k miles. Recent mechanical work is as follows: valve adjustment, new starter, front calipers and pads, ac compressor, battery, alternator, throttle body, evap purge valve, OEM oil pan and gasket.

At around 150k shocks, radiator and intake manifold gasket were replaced. Looks to be have well maintained inside and out. Includes receipts and service records.

Only work it needs is the driveshaft (only FWD right now) and front rotors. And I believe sway bar links which he has and is giving them with the sale. I’m very mechanically inclined and will do all this work myself. Any tips installing the driveshaft?

Some goodies are installed as well. 17” black rhino wheels wrapped in 225/65 toyo open county tires. Alpine head unit with apple car play and Yakima roof rack.

I’m excited for it to arrive tomorrow and start making it my own. Unfortunately the state of NY has crappy DMV scheduling and the next available appointment isn’t until June 21 so I’m gonna be just looking at it in my driveway until then. Here’s some pics

Thanks for reading!
-Anthony View attachment 209576 View attachment 209577 View attachment 209578 View attachment 209579

Thanks for reading!
From the looks of the pedals most of those miles are highway. This little gem has loads of life left. Very good find.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks for reading!
Element front seats that aren't ripped to shreds? You scored bro. 10 outta 10

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for reading!
Nice element. Looks clean, no mention of the clutch.
I replaced mine @200k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
About kitting your E out for camping: We built a camping platform based on instructions on EOC, and have been super happy with it. We have two Elements (the first one we bought was FWD and the second one was AWD) and will probably be selling the original 2007 one with 180K miles soon. The platform fits either one, and makes storage/packing for camping a snap. It's a tight sleep for both of us, but we've done it a few times with us - and a yellow lab - when it was raining. It's perfect for one, though! I only wish we had more clearance - there are times when it's touch and go on the back roads of Southern UT and Arizona.
Yeah it would be my wife and I in it so probably be a little tight. There’s so many ideas out there I don’t even know where to begin. I’m going to enjoy it how it is right now though for awhile. Probably start the ‘camper’ process next spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Quick update. Replacing front rotors, pads and rear sway bar links on Saturday. Hoping these resolve my brake shimmy/vibrations and rear clunk sound.

Those of you with manual transmission: I’m a little worried about my clutch. It’s pretty stiff and a bit hard to push in. Also makes a creak/squeak noise when pressing it in and releasing. Shifts well and there’s no slipping which is a good sign so I don’t think I would need a new clutch.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Quick update. Replacing front rotors, pads and rear sway bar links on Saturday. Hoping these resolve my brake shimmy/vibrations and rear clunk sound.

Those of you with manual transmission: I’m a little worried about my clutch. It’s pretty stiff and a bit hard to push in. Also makes a creak/squeak noise when pressing it in and releasing. Shifts well and there’s no slipping which is a good sign so I don’t think I would need a new clutch.

Thoughts?
As mentioned, I have two 2003 5MT's, you wouldn't even think they were similar cars based on clutch feel.

One has 254k with some service history but nothing about the clutch so I don't know if it has been replaced. It has a pretty light feel to the clutch and it engages some distance off of the floor. It has a bit of a squeak now and again. Shifts well and no signs of slippage.

The other has 230k with a pretty extensive service history going back maybe 80k, again nothing about the clutch. Two mechanics have previously looked at the clutch and believe it has not been replaced, based on whatever they were looking at from the outside. That one shifts well but has a really stiff feel to the clutch and engages closer to the floor, again some squeaking now and again. I drove this one close to 9 hours of back roads going through the mountains from SE Tennessee through Kentucky and into SW Ohio and and it certainly would have slipped on that drive if it was going to.

Sounds like yours is close to the second one. I assume there is something up there that can possibly be lubricated to get rid of the squeaks but I haven't had time to check.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts